Red and Orange Filters on M 246

Manicouagan1

Sure.  I use a yellow filter most the time on my M246, just as I did on my MM (and B&W film in my M6 and M7, for that matter).  I use orange and red filters as well, but very sparingly, for very targeted situations.  I've yet to use orange or red filters on the M246.

Of the several hundred shots on the M246 I've taken with a yellow filter, I'd say very confidently that they respond exactly as they did/do on the MM.  Or film.

Edited by Jager

Has anyone used colored filters with the new M 246 and have any comments on their images.

A question that I haven't seen any of the usual reviews really mention is the base colour bias, if any, of the M246. The MM has a green bias, so tonally making greens slightly lighter, and this also does a fair job of defining skies without needing a filter. It would be interesting to know if the M246 has any similar characteristic.

Steve

• Like 1

Yes, I use a yellow filter all the time, and increasingly also yellow/green or green filters which improve definition in foliage and darken orange/red sunsets. I find the green variety also useful for some portraits, especially in tungsten light (but only where the subject have perfect skin, e.g. young kids). 

• Like 1

focus shift is not an issue with yellow and medium orange filters for landscapes, but deep red causes huge shift on the MM1. One needs to focus bracket and test to see what adjustment to make. I guess with the MM2 you can just confirm focus using live view.

• Like 1

but deep red causes huge shift on the MM1.

Yes, that's my experience too. In fact, I haven't tested properly but I get the impression that the plane of focus disappears off behind the sensor (assuming that is possible?) because nothing seems to be in focus. I notice that the new Leica branded filters only come in yellow, orange, and green. :)

As JAAP said, focus shift is lens dependent, not sensor or film

Fast wides have it the worst; less depth of focus at the film plane to begin with.

For most bw work (film and now digital), I use a Yellow 15 (Hoya G, Heliopan 15) rather than the 040 orange (Heliopan 16) - the latter really gut-punches shadows, and you can get banding even at ISO 320 with the M246 if you pull up shadows hard enough.

The M246 does act a lot like it has an 060/X0/11 green on it already.

Dante

• Like 1

• 6 years later...

I have the Zeiss ZM28 and with dark orange it is OK. Great in the mountains, snow etc. On the MM1.o

However, the small Orion -15 which is also 28 mm has severe focus problems with a filter; specifically across the field towards the edges. I thought it could also be the thickness of the filter, non-coated etc. - as I have old Zeiss Ikon filters fot the 40.5 mm thread. 

I’m off to buy the orange ‘Or.’ filter for the Summicron E39.

Edited by Alberti