T: sensor cleaning

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I was today in a Leica Boutique and had for the first time the T in  my hands. Interesting, both with a native lens and with the M-adapter and an M lens.

I like it and i'm considering. But one thing scaring me is the sensor cleaning. I'm not very good (it's not my attitude) in manual operations, even more when "attention or precision" is necessary, which I assume is the case with a sensor.

How do you do that? How oft (I know it depends on many variables) is it necessary? One of the resin I would like to have the T is the interchangeable lens option which I miss on mt now more than 4 years old X1.

Thanks for comments.

robert

I've used my T with various third party lenses over a 9 month period … probably several hundred lens changes … and so far only needed to remove dust from the sensor via a hand squeeze rubber bulb blower. Not difficult … and no plans or need to use e.g. a wet clean. 

dunk

• Like 1

I have over about 7000 images on the T and have had quite a few incidents of sensor dust. Like most of the other people it is usually is pretty easy to blow off with a rubber squeeze bottle. I tend to do a lot of high contrast landscape stuff and so dust is very visible. I also frequently toss the camera into a backpack and that seems to be temporally related. I've only had to clean it using a wet process twice. When I've used up the swabs that I have then I may try one of those gel sticks. https://photographylife.com/product/sensor-gel-stick 

Honestly, I've had 3 mirrorless cameras before the T and have taken 2 of them to Burning Man and the other one has been to the playa outside of the event. In my experience, I've gotten more sensor dust with the T than with the other mirrorless cameras. However, I gather that my experience is unusual. I believe it may have to do with the fact that unlike one of my mirrorless cameras and several of its lenses, the T doesn't have a small gasket on the lenses and the lens mount is narrower than the micro four thirds.

I don't know, it is not really a problem, you just keep on it and it is fine. I carry a squeeze blower more often than I did when traveling and also one in my car. That would s about it.

I've used my T with various third party lenses over a 9 month period … probably several hundred lens changes … and so far only needed to remove dust from the sensor via a hand squeeze rubber bulb blower. Not difficult … and no plans or need to use e.g. a wet clean. 

dunk

I have the same experience. So far, and so good

After nearly a year of use in various climates I've only had to clean the sensor once and that only involved a couple of blower puffs. I have always been careful when changing lenses - always turned camera off first and avoided dirty environments. It's been much less of a problem than my M8.

Tony

• 2 weeks later...