1000 ways to sharpen......

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Whats your procedure for sharpening your DNGs

Do you have a simple/fast method from start to finish when processing your DNGs?

I ask because I work slow and would love to streamline/speed up, my work flow.

I love digital photography but I would love to spend less time in front of a computer.

Thoughts?

The most streamlined workflow that satisfies me is Photoshop/ACR .

I have presets for every camera and ISO setting.   Open one in bridge, command R to ACR.  Apply the preset which will have a noise reduction and sharpening component.  Click done and take it back to Bridge.  select all similar photos.  Go to edit,  settings, previous conversions,  and bridge will apply all the same settings to the entire selection.  Takes 2 to 5 sec per image.

Open those that still need fixing in ACR,  but the preset will have gotten you a really good start.  

open those in Photoshop as required.

Now go to photoshop,  file , image processor,  pick the folder that has the images,  fill in the desired size ( max of length  if horizontal ),  pick any action to run inside the image processor such as final sharpening,  push start, go for coffee.   2-10 sec per image they can all be converted to JPEG and/or TIFF, stored where you select.   I have done up to 100 this way.

LET THE COMPUTER DO THE WORK.

This is not perfect workflow,  but is close and 95% good enough.   You can certainly take more time with special images.  

LightRoom will have similar but not exactly the same.  Again let the compute do the work or at least the heavy lifting.

People think raw means more time.  It does not if you work this way

If you are going to print,  set ACR to sRGB and you never have issues with out of gamut at final step.   Use the indicators to show out of gamut in ACT .

Edited by tobey bilek
  • Like 1

The most streamlined workflow that satisfies me is Photoshop/ACR .

I have presets for every camera and ISO setting.   Open one in bridge, command R to ACR.  Apply the preset which will have a noise reduction and sharpening component.  Click done and take it back to Bridge.  select all similar photos.  Go to edit,  settings, previous conversions,  and bridge will apply all the same settings to the entire selection.  Takes 2 to 5 sec per image.

Open those that still need fixing in ACR,  but the preset will have gotten you a really good start.  

open those in Photoshop as required.

Now go to photoshop,  file , image processor,  pick the folder that has the images,  fill in the desired size ( max of length  if horizontal ),  pick any action to run inside the image processor such as final sharpening,  push start, go for coffee.   2-10 sec per image they can all be converted to JPEG and/or TIFF, stored where you select.   I have done up to 100 this way.

LET THE COMPUTER DO THE WORK.

This is not perfect workflow,  but is close and 95% good enough.   You can certainly take more time with special images.  

LightRoom will have similar but not exactly the same.  Again let the compute do the work or at least the heavy lifting.

People think raw means more time.  It does not if you work this way

If you are going to print,  set ACR to sRGB and you never have issues with out of gamut at final step.   Use the indicators to show out of gamut in ACT .

Wow, Thank you so much for this generous  detailed reply, being self taught this will help a lot.

Would you mind elaborating on your presets please? What specifically do you include in your adjustments?  

To me each picture is so different and requires different adjustments.

Again thanks so much for your help and advice

Wow, Thank you so much for this generous  detailed reply, being self taught this will help a lot.

Would you mind elaborating on your presets please? What specifically do you include in your adjustments?  

To me each picture is so different and requires different adjustments.

Again thanks so much for your help and advice

For the preset,  I include all corrections available in ACR.  white balance,  Exposure, highlights, whites, darks, black, medium contrast curve under details,  basic sharpening, 25 is good,  radius 1.0,  up to 100%, hold down option or alt (pc), set detail, and masking,  noise reduction which is specific to iso ,   and down the line.

This becomes a basic setting for all similar images taken at this time.   Apply to balance with edit in bridge.   

This is just a basic setting and adjust all from this in ACR,  photoshop if necessary.

LR includes sharpening as a central part of its design.  IMO, it works very well.

If you export an image, you have the option of specifying sharpening for 'screen' (less) or 'print' (more).  Similarly, if you create a web gallery, you can specify the degree of sharpening.  And if you go into the Print module, LR will automatically tailor the amount of sharpening to the output size.  It's all very quick, very easy.

For serious B&W printing, I use a dedicated black-ink inkset which has a different workflow, external to LR.  For that I use Sharpener Pro 3 Output Sharpener, which also works well.