Lens Descriptions

ColColt

I'd be inclined to look for an example of the later type with E55 filter mounting. It's rather more convenient. This lens is plentiful and probably one of the leat expensive. Also the optics of the later type might just be slightly better, since the books say that the later type is 6 elements in 4 groups, as distinct from 6 elements in 5 groups, so there is a slight difference. You can get the later type in 3 cam form as well as 3rd cam only, if you want to use it on the Leicaflexes.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have both the 1968 series 6 version and an 80s 55mm version. The construction of the earlier lens is more "classic" but the later lens handles better for me and is more convenient with the pull out hood. The optics of the later lens is also improved, with better coatings for less flare, which I noticed when I got it in the 80s.

Which camera do you have? If you have one of the R models you need either the 3 cam or R only lens. 

I have the later 50 Summicron (bought with my R3). A superb lens, although as I tend to keep a UV filter on it the hood is pretty redundant. I can't say how it compares with the earlier lens but given that you can find them easily and fairly cheaply, I'd go for the later lens. Much easier if you want to use filters too. 

I located a couple of the E55 type lens that looked rather good. In fact, that's stamped iinside the front barrel of the lens. I also saw a super nice looking black SL2. I know those cameras take the 2 cam but I woud think they'd take the 3-cam lens as well. I understand the MR-9 Criss adaptor can be used with silver oxide 1.55v for the Leicaflex. The built in diode of the adaptor takes the voltage down to the required 1.35v. I'm not positive it will fit in the batteryi chamber of the Leicaflex, however.

I don't have the camera as yet. I've yet to decide on that but wanted to see what lens were out there.

Edited by ColColt

Some of the later 55mm filter lenses have only the 3rd cam used by the R series, and don't have the cams 1&2 used by the earlier Leicaflex models. These were the same as 3-cam lenses otherwise, but we're made to be sold with the R cameras. So for an SL2 make sure the lens has those cams.

Very good, thanks. There seems to be a little more to understanding the lens history and nomenclature than I realized. Is that also called the ROM lenses?

No, a ROM lens is a 3rd cam lens to which has been added a ROM chip which givdes additional information to an R8 or R9. Must not be used with any Leicaflex.

... I understand the MR-9 Criss adaptor can be used with silver oxide 1.55v for the Leicaflex. The built in diode of the adaptor takes the voltage down to the required 1.35v. I'm not positive it will fit in the batteryi chamber of the Leicaflex, however. ...

The MR-9 Criss adaptors (yes, I have more than one) do a fine job of replacing the old mercury cells.  I use them in my MR meters, my CL, my R6-2 and the Rollei 35 I inherited from my father.  I am sure it will fit just fine in the Leicaflex (although I do NOT have a Leicaflex).

Guy