Do you have a backup camera?

My D-Lux typ 109 serves as my backup or alternative camera.

If I am taking several M lenses I sometimes take my Ricoh GXR with M mount. It works well with M lenses but having an APS-C sensor I have to remember the crop factor of x1.5 for FL.

• Like 1

For my M240? Only my M246 so not really a back up. I was considering the Q but I can't justify it. Well, what I mean to say is that I haven't worked out a way of justifying it ............... yet. ;)

• Like 5

Even my cars have backup cameras :)   Truth is I have more backups than main cameras.  Right now I have 2 M240's and 2 5D's so they back each other up, but I also have a Nex6 and a Rebel Xti which used to be backups but now are basically used when I want the best compromise between capability and light-weight.  I have a couple Panny p&S's and a Leica C-Lux also, if needed.

• Like 1

Even my cars have backup cameras :) Truth is I have more backups than main cameras. Right now I have 2 M240's and 2 5D's so they back each other up, but I also have a Nex6 and a Rebel Xti which used to be backups but now are basically used when I want the best compromise between capability and light-weight. I have a couple Panny p&S's and a Leica C-Lux also, if needed.

Wow that's a lot of backup!

My D-Lux typ 109 serves as my backup or alternative camera.

If I am taking several M lenses I sometimes take my Ricoh GXR with M mount. It works well with M lenses but having an APS-C sensor I have to remember the crop factor of x1.5 for FL.

Oh I didn't know this Ricoh has an M mount available for it.

For my M240? Only my M246 so not really a back up. I was considering the Q but I can't justify it. Well, what I mean to say is that I haven't worked out a way of justifying it ............... yet. ;)

The Q is awesome but yea need to find a way to justify it :-)

Even my cars have backup cameras :)   Truth is I have more backups than main cameras.  Right now I have 2 M240's and 2 5D's so they back each other up, but I also have a Nex6 and a Rebel Xti which used to be backups but now are basically used when I want the best compromise between capability and light-weight.  I have a couple Panny p&S's and a Leica C-Lux also, if needed.

By the time you decide which camera to take - it's probably all over!  ;)

Do you have a backup or second camera that you use for quick snapshots or if you don't feel like taking out the expensive gear?

My M8.2 serves as back-up to my M240 only if the M240 is stolen, fails or is in for service.  

No reason to ever worry about using expensive gear….that's why all of my gear is fully insured at all times.

Jeff

• Like 1

Kinda, but mainly my M is the camera i use for snapshots, or if i don't want to take the big heavy SLR.

work issues me a pair of Canon 1DX - i use them at work, but leave them in my locker when i am not at work.

at home i use the M - it goes almost everywhere with me.

i do also have an X100, but i rarely use it, it just feels slow and clumsy after using the M.

i rarely use my phone to take pics too, its normally to send a quick pic to my wife, or if its quicker that writing my self a memo

No backup really, but lots of alternatives.

My favorite cameras are M Monochrom (original) and M-E.  I bought the M-E as a color backup to the MM, but find that I rarely carry both, and that I enjoy them each about equally.

I bought the X 113 as a backup for my X Vario, which is a fantastic travel camera except in low light.  I find that I use the X 113 more than the X Vario, but that both are outstanding and will likely stick around for quite a while.

I own an immaculate 2 lug Leica M5, but its not so much a backup for my digitals, but rather just for when I want the special look of film.  

So bakup?  Well my iPhone is a backup camera I guess.

• Like 1

I use either a Sony A7s with Novoflex adaptor or Ricoh GXR with A12 mount as back up.   The Ricoh works well with any of my Leica M lenses though with a 1.5x crop factor.  The Sony A7s works satisfactorily particularly with focal lengths of 35 mm and upwards and offers excellent high ISO performance.  I also have a 24-70 mm f4 Zeiss AF lens for the Sony A7s which I tend to use for speed when point and shoot is required.

Edited by Carduelis