35mm asph or pre asph?

znerk

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey everyone

I'm a user of the Leica MP camera, and let me say I LOVE LEICA!

These days I use a Voigtlander 35mm, but I'm currently looking in to switching to a Leica lens. I was visiting my local store, and he said that I should not buy the latest Leica lenses, as they can't even compare to the older lenses on film. He recommended me to get one of the latest pre-asph Leica lenses, because they weren't made in Japan and looked much better on film.

Would anyone care to confirm or oppose this? I was thinking about the new 35mm matt black, but if what he states is true - I will get a pre asph....It's just that I love the lens hood that comes with the matt black so much more.

Edited by znerk

Japan? 

Pre asph or asph there are a lot of opinions out there, and a lot depends on the lens (summicron vs summilux, etc) and the focal length. My general understanding is that the 35mm asph are far better than the asph. One of the reasons has to do with flaring, none of it has to do with film vs digital, It also depends on whether you are looking for a retro look or something more modern -- yes, even with film. Remember too that if you are scanning you can add contrast etc in the pp.

Check through the various threads here and I think you will find enough answers and viewpoints to confuse the issue. 

But, except for some highly regarded Mandler lenses made in Canada, the lenses are made in Germany. Some of the newer glass may be sourced from Japan, but that is not an issue fo quality.

There are were no M lenses made in Japan. Ever.

The original 35mm Summilux has a certain character you must see to appreciate. Wide open it evinces what is called a glow, especially in light of greater than 1:4 ratio. It also has much more graceful OOF transition than ASPH versions. You must experience this for yourself.

• Like 2

There are were no M lenses made in Japan. Ever.

The original 35mm Summilux has a certain character you must see to appreciate. Wide open it evinces what is called a glow, especially in light of greater than 1:4 ratio. It also has much more graceful OOF transition than ASPH versions. You must experience this for yourself.

Japan? 

Pre asph or asph there are a lot of opinions out there, and a lot depends on the lens (summicron vs summilux, etc) and the focal length. My general understanding is that the 35mm asph are far better than the asph. One of the reasons has to do with flaring, none of it has to do with film vs digital, It also depends on whether you are looking for a retro look or something more modern -- yes, even with film. Remember too that if you are scanning you can add contrast etc in the pp.

Check through the various threads here and I think you will find enough answers and viewpoints to confuse the issue. 

But, except for some highly regarded Mandler lenses made in Canada, the lenses are made in Germany. Some of the newer glass may be sourced from Japan, but that is not an issue fo quality.

What he actually said was that for digital the new lenses were fine, but for film they just weren't good enough. He meant that they were "Japan Quality" or something, and that the PRE-asph did the job on film much better. I don't know, I just wanted to ask to be sure. It could be that he likes the retro look better of course. I assume the pre-asph is something like the Voigtlander SC(super classic)

These days I use a Voigtlander 35mm, but I'm currently looking in to switching to a Leica lens.

The 35mm Nokton f/1.4 is pretty much a copy of the pre-asph Summilux and has the same glow wide open, so you could save some money and unlike the pre-asph Summilux it takes conventional screw on filters. But the salesman is talking rubbish even if he doesn't know where Leica lenses are made. The asph version of the Summilux is a significant improvement over the earlier version, unless you like the softer look, personally I do but it's not for everybody. 

I think your salesman has the argument the wrong way around, he has misheard or misunderstood, older lenses are very nice on modern digital Leica's because they mute slightly the digital character of the camera, so making the image more film like. On the other hand modern lenses on a film Leica can draw out as much resolution as possible from the film, so you aren't doubling up by using a softer lens and a 'softer' grainy film, not that this combination hasn't been a winner for 80 years. It is up to your preference but it isn't clear cut.

Steve

• Like 3

Your current Voigtlander (made in Japan indeed...) is probably a very good performer so that I think that if you chase for another 35mm the current Summicron asph (my standard 35 nowadays) is the right choice to have something more... but I'd find more reasonable to add a different focal... on a film MP, 35+90 is a smart duo, and, given that it's true that there is a difference (most in contrast) between "new" and "old" Leica lenses you could think of :

- Summarit 90 as "new"

- Summicron 90 preasph as "classic" (or Tele Elmarit, if you value compactness)

Similar cost - different rendering.

Edited by luigi bertolotti

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Your current Voigtlander (made in Japan indeed...) is probably a very good performer so that I think that if you chase for another 35mm the current Summicron asph (my standard 35 nowadays) is the right choice to have something more... but I'd find more reasonable to add a different focal... on a film MP, 35+90 is a smart duo, and, given that it's true that there is a difference (most in contrast) between "new" and "old" Leica lenses you could think of :

- Summarit 90 as "new"

- Summicron 90 preasph as "classic" (or Tele Elmarit, if you value compactness)

Similar cost - different rendering.

I'm actually only using a 35mm on my MP, and I beleive it will stay like that for a long time :)

So my question to you guys then. Would you pay some bucks more for the 35mm summchron limited edition black, or just get the normal black 35mm, and then purchase the lens hood seperatly?

Would you pay some bucks more for the 35mm summchron limited edition black, or just get the normal black 35mm, and then purchase the lens hood seperatly?

By all means buy the limited edition black chrome version (it is a beautifully made, solid lump of brassy smoothness) but don't buy it for the fancy hood. The standard hood that comes with the standard black lens is, IMO, significantly more useful.

• Like 1

By all means buy the limited edition black chrome version (it is a beautifully made, solid lump of brassy smoothness) but don't buy it for the fancy hood. The standard hood that comes with the standard black lens is, IMO, significantly more useful.

Perhaps I actually should buy the normal version instead. Could you ellaborate why that particular hood is better?

Perhaps I actually should buy the normal version instead. Could you ellaborate why that particular hood is better?

I went with the normal black ASPH version  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

Thanks for your inputs.

Edited by znerk

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone

I'm a user of the Leica MP camera, and let me say I LOVE LEICA!

These days I use a Voigtlander 35mm, but I'm currently looking in to switching to a Leica lens. I was visiting my local store, and he said that I should not buy the latest Leica lenses, as they can't even compare to the older lenses on film. He recommended me to get one of the latest pre-asph Leica lenses, because they weren't made in Japan and looked much better on film.

Would anyone care to confirm or oppose this? I was thinking about the new 35mm matt black, but if what he states is true - I will get a pre asph....It's just that I love the lens hood that comes with the matt black so much more.

The summicron 35 asph is a wonderful lens on the MP. I had three of them and all of them delivered stunning pictures. Really Leica like. 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...