Does a 28mm brightline align with the Q?

The EVF is perfect in bright sunshine and in very dim light. As it is an EVF (electronic viewfinder) of course you get to see the full frame of the final image . There are only bright-lines if you use the 35 or 50mm crop option. The LCD is indeed hard to see in sunshine

Edited by viramati
  • Like 1

The EVF is perfect in bright sunshine...

Really? That would represent a major breakthrough for an EVF.

My experience with EVFs has been with Sony A7s. I now actually prefer EVFs in lower light to either rangefinders or SLRs, but until now I've found them too dim not to be frustrating in intense sunlight.

Edited by almoore

Really? That would represent a major breakthrough for an EVF.

My experience with EVFs has been with Sony A7s. I now actually prefer EVFs in lower light to either rangefinders or SLRs, but until now I've found them too dim not to be frustrating in intense sunlight.

Well of course it's not an OVF but it is very good and even my A7s and A7II are far from 'hopeless' though certainly not at their best in bright sunlight with high contrast subjects. By the way do you have your EVF set to high resolution with the A7s as it does make a difference? I certainly don't find it to be 'dim in any way

Edited by viramati

Well of course it's not an OVF but it is very good and even my A7s and A7II are far from 'hopeless' though certainly not at their best in bright sunlight with high contrast subjects. By the way do you have your EVF set to high resolution with the A7s as it does make a difference? I certainly don't find it to be 'dim in any way

Just to be clear, I don't find A7s to be unusable in bright sunlight but I do find them to be distinctly sub-optimal. I've just glanced into the menu and I have the EVFs set to 'manual' rather than 'auto' and at '+2' which appears to be the brightest setting. Where exactly (if you remember) is the option to change resolution?

It crosses my mind that we might have different definitions of bright sunlight. During the winter and early spring I was working in the north of Europe and found the Sony EVFs to be a revelation in comparison to the finders of the 5D3s I normally work with, whereas I'm currently in the tropics and between dawn and dusk I'm far more comfortable with OVFs. One of my A7s even has an old Leica SBLOO finder semi-permanently gaffer-taped to the hotshoe for daytime use with a 35 - it looks horribly inelegant but works surprisingly well.

Do you find the Q EVF significantly better than the Sony?

Edited by almoore

I have no issues at all with the EVF in daylight. You will need to test drive a Q though, because it sounds like you have an issue with EVF's that I don't experience. My .02...if you think you need a OVF for the Q...you don't want this camera.

Edited by digitalfx

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just to be clear, I don't find A7s to be unusable in bright sunlight but I do find them to be distinctly sub-optimal. I've just glanced into the menu and I have the EVFs set to 'manual' rather than 'auto' and at '+2' which appears to be the brightest setting. Where exactly (if you remember) is the option to change resolution?

It crosses my mind that we might have different definitions of bright sunlight. During the winter and early spring I was working in the north of Europe and found the Sony EVFs to be a revelation in comparison to the finders of the 5D3s I normally work with, whereas I'm currently in the tropics and between dawn and dusk I'm far more comfortable with OVFs. One of my A7s even has an old Leica SBLOO finder semi-permanently gaffer-taped to the hotshoe for daytime use with a 35 - it looks horribly inelegant but works surprisingly well.

Do you find the Q EVF significantly better than the Sony?

Significantly better maybe not but it does seem in a way smoother and certainly is bright enough. On my Sony A7's I have the EVF set to brightness +1 and in the suitcases 2nd menu I have EVF quality set to high

• Like 1

in the suitcases 2nd menu I have EVF quality set to high

Thanks, just checked and I have 'Display Quality' set to "High'. I guess we all see things differently.

I'm definitely not the only person to have issues with even recent EVFs in intense sunlight, so my question remains: has anybody tried a brightline finder on the Q?

I have finally understood your question

Eureka!

Thank you for persevering in the face of my apparent stupidity. I probably shouldn't have referred to a SLOOZ but thought on such a geeky forum most people would know what it is. I live and learn...

Okay so I tried out the frankenfinder and set to 28mm it seemed to be pretty much as you would expect, not totally accurate but pretty good. Personally though I find the EVF fine in very bright light, I was out and about in London yesterday in bright sunshine and had no problem.

I don't understand the discussion.

Why should it not be possible to mount an external viewfinder on a camera that offers a hotshoe?

I don't understand your misunderstanding. Nobody has suggested that it wouldn't be possible.

I've asked if anybody has ascertained whether a particular external finder - the old 28mm SLOOZ - aligns well on the Q. Just because the angle of view will broadly correlate with the lens it doesn't automatically follow that it won't be offset in one direction or another.

The issue with add on optical viewfinders is that none of them is 100% accurate (obviously) and accuracy depends on distance to subject.

There is a couple of solutions to this:

There are some viewfinders that can be adjusted for focus distance. The ancient Leica Vidom is such an example and so is the current Frankenfinder.

Some viewfinders will have additional (e.g. dotted) lines to show the framing for (usually) close distances: e.g. the X1 finder

A lot of viewfinders totally ignore this and the user is left alone.

Why am I bringin this up?

If all the viewfinders are somewhat inaccurate, then in my opinion the it doesn't matter whether the framelines are 95% or 96% accurate. First of all you can look at the result on the display, adjust and shoot again. Second, it probably makes more sense to consider the other factors in choosing your viewfinder: how big, how clear, how bright...