Body Decisions

ColColt

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I need some advice on camera choices. I've been mulling over the R7 and the Leicaflex SL2 for about a week now and both have their good points. The two things that are keeping me from the Leicaflex is the battery(defunct PX625 in the states) and the lack of a diopter adjustment which I need.

Some years back I had an M2 but had better eyes then and not as near sighted as now. There was no problem with focus but,  I fear there would be now. I can't find one locally to try it and no longer have the M2. The reason for being is I've found a super nice M4 but don't know that I'd need something like a 0.5+ diopter to correct the vision. That's the diopter I have to use in my Nikon F2A and it works fine.

All in all, I suppose I'm looking for advice but I'm leaning toward the R7 since it does use common silver oxide batteries and has the built in diopter adjustment.

I reckon either would be perfect. The optimist in me says the diopter adjustment isn't really the issue it could be, surely you can fit a suitable prescription to the V/F eyepiece? Like the Nikon system.

SL2? Gorgeous, old, quirky, wonderful camera (I don't own one, but have an equally wonderful SL).

Batteries? They can be converted, mine isn't, but I did have an SL which had been converted, so again, no real stumbling block. Just a slight speed-hum.

Gary

I'd choose the R7 - the SL2 is no doubt a fine classic Leica but you may have to send the camera off to get the meter recalibrated for newer batteries, and you'd want a CLA on an older body like that.

The R7 has multi metering modes which are useful. You could also consider an R6 which is more like the SL2 (fully mechanical shutter).

Actually, the R6.2 was my first choice but everyone seems to want M2 prices for them so, I looked to the R7 next. I had ran across a nice R6 but it had the grid screen and I didn't know how difficult it may be to find the standard split image screen so bypassed it.

I've had an SL and R4 since new, and also have an R6. The SL still has an unmatched solid, precise feel when using it, and I don't find the battery to be a problem, using a silver 386 cell in the CRIS adapter which reduces the output voltage. I rather prefer the smaller size of the R4-6, and tend to use the R4 most, as my wife can use it better in program mode. The R7 should be good, but at the price of these bodies there is little risk in any choice.

Lately my R lenses see the most use on my Sony A7 - my R solution for digital.

One potential problem I see, maybe not at all, is the small window in the R6-R7 cameras I've looked at, where you can see the film can from the back. It seems to me whatever material it's made of has the possibility of deteriorating over time and causing a slight light leak. Is that cause for concern?

I think I've decided if I'm going to get an R camera it's going to be the R6.2. I'm a bit of a Luddite when it comes to cameras and the simpler and less electronics the better. I have a couple of digital cameras but must confess I don't really like them. Oh, they take nice photos and you can see the results immediately but I don't like having to go through a menu to change things. I suppose that's why I still have my Nikon FTN and F2A. It doesn't get more simple.

I did look at the M series but Mama Mia, they want the equity in your house for a body and lens.

Edited by ColColt

Would you consider a R8/9? It looks a bit clunky next to a SL2, but ergonomically it's great. There's a built in diopter adjustment in the VF. The VF is really bright, although the SL2 probably just sneaks it in terms of VF quality. A R8 is cheap now, perhaps GBP300 for a body.

• Like 1

Would you consider a R8/9? It looks a bit clunky next to a SL2, but ergonomically it's great.

I'm not really interested in those-too much of the electronic technology. I'm bordering on being a Luddite and the less amount of electronically controlled cameras the better. I still miss my 1960 Impala.:)

I  have  both  R7  and  two  SL2's   .  I  use the   SL2  more  as  overall  I do   prefer  it  .  However   if  I were   starting   from  scratch  I  may  go  for the  R7 . As  mentioned  the  R7 uses   readily  available    batteries  ,  no  need for  adapters , re calibrating  etc.

The   spot  meter  on the  R7   is  good  as is  the  program   function   when  you  need  to  be  quick   , point  ,  focus  , shoot.  You  can   use the  other   functions  on the  R7  as  well .

The  TTL    function  on the  R7  is   very  good.  I  seldom  use    flash  but  occasionally  I have   photographed  social  functions  .  I  have  a  Metz  45  potato  masher   flash  which  I  link   up  with t he  SCA   adapters  , camera  to   Program  and  off  you  go  .  I  get  good  flash  pictures  with  it.

I  think  the  light meter  on the  R7  is  more  sensitive , may  be  wrong. 

The  built in diopter  is  handy.  Normally  I wear  contact  lenses ,  but  if  I  am not  wearing them   I can easily   dial  in the  correction.  The  R7  has  half  stops  on the  shutter  speed  dial .  

I  have  found  the  foam  seals  can   be   easily  replaced  .   I  think  the  R7   takes interchangeable   focus  screens ,  can   be  handy   say   you   do  architectural   work  with the   28PC .  The  R6   certainly  does. 

I am not   sure  why  I prefer  the  SL2  , but  I  do .  The   viewfinder  is perhaps  a bit  better.  Perhaps  it  is  because  I  am  more  familiar   with them. 

Whichever    you  get    I  am  sure  you  will  enjoy  it.