New on Leica and M8

srtorp

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello

Im just recived a beautyfull used M8, but it whas not to mutch software and information whit it.Is there somthing i "need"?

I use Macbook and aperture, no problem so fare.

Is there some tips and triks to be ware of ?

I come from Canon 7D, sold all and bought a Sony Rx1 (fantastic Camera) and a A7II. But i have all the way have need for tying out a M. 

So now i whait for a god (Elmarit 28/2.8) lense together whit my Voigtlander 40mm1.4.

I have pair old pentax lensen 135mm and a 28mm whit adapter for M, but it dos not seem to fokus at all. anny suggestions ?

Thanks

Stig 

...........I have pair old pentax lensen 135mm and a 28mm whit adapter for M, but it dos not seem to fokus at all. anny suggestions ..............

You'll need to estimate the distances and then set them on the lenses as the rangefinder won't couple through the adaptor.  That will be easier with the 28mm lens of course because it has a greater depth of field.  You may find that's the lens you want to use most anyway.

• Like 1

The M8 is a great camera and a good introduction to Leica digital, but the M8 and M9 are not as flexible as the M240 cameras with regard to lens use.

With the 240 series of M cameras you have the option to use not only the rangefinder, but both live view and an EVF, which means you focus through the lens at the sensor which then will allow non coupled lenses to work via an M adaptor.

Yes, you can put adaptors (if available) on your existing lens collection, but as the previous poster has already said, you will not be able to use the rangefinder to focus as they are not RF coupled and the M8 has no other means to focus... the 28 may be ok if you zone focus, but the 135 will be next to impossible.

To be honest, using either of these lenses on the M8 will drive you mad within a few days due to the focussing issues and you will end up hating the camera and the whole idea of using Leica for photography... and that would be such a great shame.

Really, you need to think about using your Leica with a proper coupled RF lens. Your Voightlander is fine, but a 28 Elmarit fixed almost permanently on your M8 would be a fantastic start to your Leica experience...

It would be closer to a 35 in full frame and would be an ideal lens to keep and use when you buy your next Leica M in a few years once you have grown to love your M8! :)

Welcome...

• Like 2