CCD Sensor - New Leica Information about the State of Development

Leon_B.

The part number from On Semi indicates that it is using a "GEN2" dye in the Bayer filter as well as BG-55 cover glass. The latest S8612 data sheet changes the humidity rating of that glass, but I suspect it is a mistake and have inquired. If the latter "really is improved" (not an error), that would make S8612 ideal for any visible only silicon sensor.

So, this now presents a strange dilemma. My M9-P is at Leica USA-New Jersey, having been diagnosed with a contaminated sensor 3 days ago. I have decided to replace the sensor, as I am quite happy with the M9-P. They told me that it may take up to 10 weeks to get my camera back. I wonder if I should simply leave it there until such time as they can put in this newest sensor's glass.......?????????
Mark

I don't think they've made the M-E for quite a while.  More likely they have a lot of M9 spares and those are whatever M-E cameras have been made since 2012.

thanks

its this true ?

I see M-E for sale in all dealers in the UK (some say 1-2 weeks waiting, others have in stock)

I presume the M-E ii will be the 240 with some small changes. I was hoping the CCD line would continue just for the fun of a really minimalist camera (M-RE - M-®eally(E)conomy). The upgraded shutter and rangefinder from the 240 would be most welcome as well ...

• Like 1

So, this now presents a strange dilemma. My M9-P is at Leica USA-New Jersey, having been diagnosed with a contaminated sensor 3 days ago. I have decided to replace the sensor, as I am quite happy with the M9-P. They told me that it may take up to 10 weeks to get my camera back. I wonder if I should simply leave it there until such time as they can put in this newest sensor's glass.......?????????

Mark

I've been holding off on sending my M-E into New Jersey for this very reason.  For several months now as I have a couple bad columns that I can see when shooting in low light, higher ISO, and pushing the Shadows in LR.  Don't think I have the corrosion issue but this is my only camera and don't want to be without it for 2 - 3 months.

My wife suggested I buy a used one while mine is in the shop but then the prices I see are comparable to buying the upgrade if it were offered for mine it I were to send it in.

This will be my second sensor replacement since buying the camera new 2.5 years ago.  I'm sure my sensor issue is the amount of time I travel via my job as a pilot and getting to and from work on the airlines.  (Note:  page 163 of the Leica M-E manual has this to say:  SENSOR Cosmic radiation (e.g. on flights) can cause pixel defects.)

BTW, anyone shooting the M240 have this same statement in your manual?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've been holding off on sending my M-E into New Jersey for this very reason. For several months now as I have a couple bad columns that I can see when shooting in low light, higher ISO, and pushing the Shadows in LR. Don't think I have the corrosion issue but this is my only camera and don't want to be without it for 2 - 3 months.

My wife suggested I buy a used one while mine is in the shop but then the prices I see are comparable to buying the upgrade if it were offered for mine it I were to send it in.

This will be my second sensor replacement since buying the camera new 2.5 years ago. I'm sure my sensor issue is the amount of time I travel via my job as a pilot and getting to and from work on the airlines. (Note: page 163 of the Leica M-E manual has this to say: SENSOR Cosmic radiation (e.g. on flights) can cause pixel defects.)

Sounds nothing like the sensor corrosion issue

It sounds like a standard set of hot/stuck pixels which just have to be mapped out. Leica normally do this quite fast.

Lines are typically caused by a single hot pixel on the M-E sensor.

Unfortunately other cameras can do this in software but Leica's need software programming at HQ

Rgds

Sounds nothing like the sensor corrosion issue

It sounds like a standard set of hot/stuck pixels which just have to be mapped out. Leica normally do this quite fast.

Lines are typically caused by a single hot pixel on the M-E sensor.

Unfortunately other cameras can do this in software but Leica's need software programming at HQ

Rgds

Last time I sent it in for the same problem they replaced the CCD and board its attached to.  So I'm afraid it would be the 2-3 month wait.  I still may look at a second body.  One that I carry on trips and my current body once returned from Leica will stay at home.

I've been holding off on sending my M-E into New Jersey for this very reason.  For several months now as I have a couple bad columns that I can see when shooting in low light, higher ISO, and pushing the Shadows in LR.  Don't think I have the corrosion issue but this is my only camera and don't want to be without it for 2 - 3 months.

This will be my second sensor replacement since buying the camera new 2.5 years ago.  I'm sure my sensor issue is the amount of time I travel via my job as a pilot and getting to and from work on the airlines.  (Note:  page 163 of the Leica M-E manual has this to say:  SENSOR Cosmic radiation (e.g. on flights) can cause pixel defects.)

It is well documented on all sensors. Transpolar flights are particularly harmful. As the energy content of cosmic radiation is dependent on the incidence angle, I have the (perhaps foolish) idea that carrying the camera vertically will provide target size reduction.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Mark

i was wondering if i should too.  i talked to leica n.j. this morning and was told there would be a 7 month+ wait for the new sensor to be supplied to them and then the time of being in the queue for replacement.  Was told the replacement policy would continue so i think i'll have it done now and if there is a future problem it will be replaced with the new one. 

Leica has had my M9 since July 1. I was told sensors were back ordered, and it would be a minimum of 6 weeks before any chance of repair. Wife absolutely nixed the upgrade option. Shooting only with my NEX-6 blows. 

It is well documented on all sensors. Transpolar flights are particularly harmful. As the energy content of cosmic radiation is dependent on the incidence angle, I have the (perhaps foolish) idea that carrying the camera vertically will provide target size reduction.

That does sound like a bad idea as if you get a hit it could take out a whole column vertically :D

I won't return to the argument that I don't buy this theory as the pixel size is far too course. We'd have to define what cosmic radiation is (I assume not the Flash Gordon definition) , eg low energy photons, but based on how difficult it is to get any interaction at the molecular level for even using particle detectors designed for neutrinos and muons I defer ...

Another suggestion would be to smear the top of the camera with factor 50 sun cream :)

• Like 1

I wonder if we will know when the 'new' sensors start to be used on the repairs. Will they issue some kind of statement saying so or will they inform the customers directly? Or they just keep replacing sensors and we don't know if we get a new one or an old one? Anyone has a clue to how it's going to work? thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I was in May Fair today and the corossion of my M9P is all over the sensor, I was told by Jimmy it would be December for Leica to install the new sensor, so I am now on waiting list.

If it is that bad were you not offered the chance to have a new 'old' sensor and then, when that one fails you can have a new 'new' sensor?

Mine was sent to Wetzlar 2 weeks ago. They will change my sensor and in theory I will get my camera back tops end of September.

The sensor they will put in is a brand new CCD (current version)

The new one is being tested right now and, if there's no problems w/ it, it should go to production line etc. Which means it might take some time.

I was on the phone w/ Leica Costume Care just today.

Of course, if I have corrosion again, they will change free of charge again. Next time, for the new developed version.

Enjoy your M9.

Mine has some minor corrosion spots on one corner and they are not visible in the pictures, only when stopped down to f/16 which I rarely shoot. The only thing visible for me is on certain higher ISOs there is a vertical white line more or less a third from the left. It doesn't seem to happen on lower ISOs but I have to make some more tests. From what I understand this is usually a sign of a dead pixel. 

So with these 2 issues I am thinking if I should send my camera in right away and get a new 'old sensor' or if I wait until Leica is fitting the new revised sensors? Any opinions? I know I can send it in now and in the future they will replace it again if issues arise but that would mean 2 periods of time without my beloved M9 instead of just 1.

I don't really get why you are asking. You already have your answer, so what's the point?

In your case it is really personal, wether you want to stay away possibly 2 times from your camera or not.
Do what you think it's best.

That's entirely true TRlago, I must make the decision. If I knew that the new sensors will arrive shortly I might opt to wait and go directly to the new sensor like initially planned, even though first generation sensors might present new problems which we don't know about yet. The option to proceed immediately with a new old sensor has the problem that the corrosion will eventually come back one day and who knows if Leica will still be honoring its goodwill substitution by then, imagine it's 5 years from now and the M9 will be 11 years old. My question was directed to see other's opinions on this but you're correct it's a personal choice in the end. thanks for your input.  

If it is that bad were you not offered the chance to have a new 'old' sensor and then, when that one fails you can have a new 'new' sensor?

I just thought it's not worth the time to get a temporary solution which I knew the sensor would generate the same problem, and it takes time too.