CCD Sensor - New Leica Information about the State of Development

Leon_B.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

"Life test" for a glass, especially with regard for corrosion, usually involves putting it in an environmental test chamber and cycling it through temperature and humidity cycles- sometimes for months and longer.

Testing in Real Life as mentioned by Leica- that would be more fun. 

Edited by fiftyonepointsix
  • Like 1

Being an old guy using an M9, and being rather good with Photoshop actions to heal images, I have not troubled  Leica with my sensor issues, however it is enlightening to learn they have made a great effort to help us.

That is the Leica I have known for fifty years.

Edited by pico
  • Like 7

Good for them. I haven't experienced the sensor corrosion problem with my Monochrom (knock wood), but it's nice to know that if I do, I can most likely get it replaced with something that won't develop the same problem over time, and/or I won't have to pay more money to upgrade to the new model Monochrom.

As a proud owner of an M9P, I want to thank Leica for their support. I am sure Leica understands that this kind of action will earn them more future business than any ad campaign or promotional video could ever produce.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've just had my M-E returned after a 2 month hiatus having the sensor changed by Camera Clinic in Melbourne (it was cracked  not corroding). Must admit whilst it was away and not knowing how long the process would take left me feeling pretty glum and ponderring whether this would be my last venture with a Leica digital. However having it back and working better than ever along with this latest news about new sensors has completely renewed my faith in the company. Thanks heaps Leica.

My M-E just went out Tuesday.  There is a line on the sensor that may be dirt or corrosion, I can't tell.  Since the camera is brand-new (contacted Leica 6 weeks after purchase) they put me near the front of the line with a specified date when a replacement sensor will be available if needed.  The line was minor, so I used the camera for a month while waiting for my appointment.  I could have tried cleaning the sensor, but since it is brand-new I"d rather Leica do the cleaning.

My M Monochrom thus far (2 years in) has no issues with its sensor other than dust, which I've cleaned a few times with no issue.  That camera went to Leica for a check and cleaning right before the warranty expired and came back quickly and in perfect health without needing a new sensor.  

Leica's conduct in this matter has been exemplary, and really makes me happy that I chose to buy the M-E and keep my CCD Monochrom even at the height of the whole CCD-gate frenzy.  I knew they would do the right thing, and I totally expect to get many more years of excellent service from these wonderful cameras.  I could have bought the M240 instead of the M-E, but I prefer the CCD cameras and the files they produce.

• Like 1

I also applaud Leica for following through on this commitment. I purchased my M9 a few years back as my long term digital solution. Fortunately I have not experienced any corrosion problems but when I first became aware of the problem I was very upset. Though I really wasn't terribly impressed with Leica's initial response, which appeared to have been written by some lawyer trying to limit the company's liability to nothing, the follow up was much more encouraging.

I am more encouraged at this point that my decision to select Leica digital for the long term, irregardless of the cost of entry, has turned out to be justified. I know that maintaining long term commitment to a digital product is much more difficult for the company than that same level of commitment to film. But I would really like to see Leica break through that expectation that the digital afficianado must expect the camera to fall apart and be unrepairable in 10 years or less. There really is no reason why electronic and digital components cannot last far longer than mechanical ones and, if some fault does occur, why they cannot be repaired quickly with modular components. I myself would prefer NOT to live a throw away lifestyle and am prepared to support companies who are willing to commit to long term service and repair strategies.

Our consumer oriented lifestyle is creating a huge strain on our planet and on our resources. Somehow or another we have to learn to step away from the expectation of buying something new every 2 years.

• Like 10

Good news for all Leica customers, current and future, not just those with potentially affected cameras.  

At these price points, and with targeted company market share growth, the alternative would have created far more concerns about customer erosion than sensor corrosion.

Jeff

• Like 1

Does anyone know if this new sensor will mean better ISO performance for the M9?

Very unlikely, as the IR filter cover glass which is being moisture proofed has nothing to do with sensor performance. The sensor itself will remain the same. Which will not prevent threads being posted claiming vastly improved AWB, ISO performance, lack of fringing, etc.

• Like 1