Is flare prone APO 50mm sharper ?

dugby

Dugby, very interesting query. And I like ict's response. Is it fact or fiction? Some have claimed they know the difference. However, these are claims likely said in jest.

Fwiw, I was in possession of a flare proned version sold as new to me in May then replaced with another without flare.

I can report No noticeable difference in lens sharpness.

Still would like to have Leica reveal the list of sn's affected, repaired then sold as new. I believe I am one of those few.

Edited by keenr
  • Like 3

[...] Still would like to have Leica reveal the list of sn's affected, repaired then sold as new. 

Did you ask them this question? Just curious. I would suspect that such a list doesn't exist or is not available for publication since repaired lenses have been offered only to owners asking for a repair or a replacement, but i may be wrong.

• Like 1

Question for those who had their flare prone APO 50 modified by Leica.

If you could chose again, would you (and why) prefer to have the original lens back and work with the flare limitation ?

Are you saying you bought the lens and returned it for repair and now it's not performing as well?

If so you should return it to Leica again as they probably decentered an element or something like that.

• Like 1

Are you saying you bought the lens and returned it for repair and now it's not performing as well?

If so you should return it to Leica again as they probably decentered an element or something like that.

No...I do not have this lens yet.

My question stems from some other APO 50 threads whereby other forum members suggested there are some APO 50 owners claimed that their original lenses might have been sharper before Leica fixed the flare issue on their lens.

As I rarely shoot into the sun, I was toying with the idea of buying an "APO 50 and retain the potential flare issue",..  if indeed it has some benefits over a rectified APO 50mm.

Price is not the issue (as I would expect them both to be the same),.... rather the diminishing opportunity to buy an uncorrected lens, if it really does have some tangible benefit over the corrected lenses.

Edited by dugby
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Whilst this forum inquiry is not a scientific collection of empirical data.....

I would suggest that the lack of any hint of supporting correspondence, I am inclined to believe that the

"Myth is Busted"