"To be, or not to be, that is the Q" new article at overgaard.dk

On the image quality of the 35mm and 50mm "cropped" view, the lens was designed with twice the resolution of an M lens to compensate for that.

While it may look fine in the pictures, I think the specification sheet make the Leica Q user feel he or she is cheated for some inventory when they crop away so much of the 24MP to get only the 50mm or 35mm crop.

Pity in the way that a great and workable concept is not recognized ... but good in the way that it allow for Leica to make other versions.

• Like 2

On the image quality of the 35mm and 50mm "cropped" view, the lens was designed with twice the resolution of an M lens to compensate for that.

While it may look fine in the pictures, I think the specification sheet make the Leica Q user feel he or she is cheated for some inventory when they crop away so much of the 24MP to get only the 50mm or 35mm crop.

Pity in the way that a great and workable concept is not recognized ... but good in the way that it allow for Leica to make other versions.

I agree, I do my post with the DNGs but the 35 & 50 JPEGs have excellent resolution in Lightroom, not so much on the LCD.  I often look through the JPEGs in LR as a preliminary edit to choose which DNG are finalists.

• Like 2

I agree, I do my post with the DNGs but the 35 & 50 JPEGs have excellent resolution in Lightroom, not so much on the LCD.  I often look through the JPEGs in LR as a preliminary edit to choose which DNG are finalists.

i haven't experimented with the 35/50 jpgs much in the past.. however this is interesting to hear and to try!

• Like 1

i haven't experimented with the 35/50 jpgs much in the past.. however this is interesting to hear and to try!

Yes, it's actually a good idea. I feel Leica have been half-hearted in tellinga bout this. I don't blame them; it's difficult to sell the idea to go down in megapixels. But it does actually work. 

Not sure I understand? How does an M lens have half the resolution? You mean, an M lens on the equivalent sensor, I.e. cropped?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Not sure I understand? How does an M lens have half the resolution? You mean, an M lens on the equivalent sensor, I.e. cropped?

The lens' ability to resolve is double in the Q compared to the M. 

I'll get into it in a later article. But if you look at the traditional "Leica look" it's soft, but detailed. So Leica deliberately don't make the lens razor sharp. But in the Q (and I guess in the Leica T lenses as well; and maybe the new SL lenses), they doubled the resolution/sharpness to be able to use a crop of the lens.

• Like 2