Best/recommended Leica slide projectors?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Do owners and users have recommendations about the best quality and most reliable Leica slide projectors?

I seem to remember that certain 1960s and 1970s models were "built like tanks" and provided excellent images with Colorplan or Colorplan CF (Curved Field) lenses. Even some later autofocus models may be excellent. Model numbers like 1500 and 2500 ring a memory bell as high quality machines, but what are user experiences?

I have had 2 Leica projectors over the years. The Pradovit RC is a good basic projector but with no autofocus you have to refocus manually when the slide pops.

More recently I bought a P600, thats better in that it has af so will refocus itself.

The Colorplan lenses are excellent, sharper than the zoom I also got with the P600. A repair to the P600 took ages and cost a small fortune, so I bought a Kodak Carousel cheap off ebay in case the P600 ever goes wrong terminally.

I also use an Elmo Carousel like projector regularly, a more professional product, stronger and heavier (and more expensive) but it has better cooling and slides rarely pop so are more in focus across the frame.

Ideal would be something with as good a cooling as the Elmo with a Colorplan lens!

Gerry

I picked up an original Prodovit Colour a few moths ago with lens, magazines, instructions and so on - £25. Still a good projector. I believe that the 2500s were supposed to be very good though as more modern projectors.

Kodak Caroussel is King. The basic models saw are less likely to be used professionally and only saw light use.

Mind you, me dissing Leitz: I have two Leitz made for Linhof 56X72, because the Groetschmanns need expensive maintenance.

But for 24X36 there is no reason to buy anything else than that. Sorry, if that sounds patronizing :) but there are no two ways about it.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Kodak Caroussel is King. The basic models saw are less likely to be used professionally and only saw light use.

Mind you, me dissing Leitz: I have two Leitz made for Linhof 56X72, because the Groetschmanns need expensive maintenance.

But for 24X36 there is no reason to buy anything else than that. Sorry, if that sounds patronizing :) but there are no two ways about it.

I have used many,many carousels professionally and I wouldnt praise them that highly. You need a good manual and some mechanical abilities to keep them going. The Elmo is much better.

Some of the carousel lenses are pretty poor, I used the standard zoom to demonstrate lens aberrations to students, and the pladtic 100mmm that came with my Ebay Carousel falls apart regularly. They dont do justice to really good camera lenses.

Gerry

• Like 1

I have had 2 Leica projectors over the years. The Pradovit RC is a good basic projector but with no autofocus you have to refocus manually when the slide pops.

More recently I bought a P600, thats better in that it has af so will refocus itself.

The Colorplan lenses are excellent, sharper than the zoom I also got with the P600. A repair to the P600 took ages and cost a small fortune, so I bought a Kodak Carousel cheap off ebay in case the P600 ever goes wrong terminally.

I also use an Elmo Carousel like projector regularly, a more professional product, stronger and heavier (and more expensive) but it has better cooling and slides rarely pop so are more in focus across the frame.

Ideal would be something with as good a cooling as the Elmo with a Colorplan lens!

Gerry

I have a Colorplan lens fitted into the Carousel.

I have a Pradovit Color 2, a P600, a Zett Royal AFS II (almost the same as the P600) and a Rollei MSC 300 P.

If you have ever tried a Rollei MSC (with the quiet and very effective cooling system) with cross-fading out of one Magazine

in combination with the superb Schneider- Optics, it's hard to go back to another projector.

Referring to easy maintenance I would go for a P600/ Pradovit RC/ Zett Royal AFS. They are constructed very well, have a solid

metal- chassis and a reliable transport mechanism. The ( almost similar) Zett Royal- projectors are also very cheap to get.

If something is wrong with the AF or the Projector transports just backwards it is often just a stuck pulling Magnet or a sticky gearwheel,

in cause of inferquently using and can be repaired with some cleaning work.

• Like 1

Ok, which model of Colorplan please?

Gerry

The writing around the fron lens is: 

COLORPLAN CF 2.5/90 LENS MADE BY LEITZ PORTUGAL (leitz not leica).

Not selling the Colorplan, though I only use the XENON 2.8/60, which I got new for projection on the ceiling with a mirror in front of lens.

Mentioning ELMO you opened a (very small) scar: could have gotten four of them at about the same time. Being pro-gear they had probably served in a lot of road-shows, so I opted for the Kodak from an amateur.

Edited by tri

My Colorplan has a smaller external diameter than the Kodak tube with an external helicoid it is mounted in. It might even be adaptable with equal results to the ones in a Pradovit with a bit of DIY.

I wish I knew more about Colorplan lenses. Would you have a source of literature?

Simon

Beware of the CF (curved field) versions. Those are made to correct the the bouncing slide in cause of heat.

If the cooling works to good or if you are using glass frames you won't get a sharp image.

You can also try a Zeiss P- Sonnar 2,5/90 or a Zett P-Color 2,5/90 (looks veeeeery similar to the Zeiss :-) ) in a P600. Best Quality lenses.

The Kodak Caroussels have a different diameter and helicoid.

So do the AV- Xenotars for the Rollei MSC- Projectors. They have the same outer Diameter but also a different helicoid.

• 5 years later...

I have the p-color and the p-sonnar. They look very very similar. It look like the p-color has a slightly updated housing form the sonnar. But it is not! Optical lenght (from lens to back lens) differs and also the barrel lenght. And also the inner-radius and coating is different. Both are very high quality.

Maybe the p-color is an upgrade from the p-sonnar but also possible that the color is a (super)colorplan P2.

The Zett p-color is made by Leica Portugal and the Zeiss p-sonnar is made in West-Germany

Edited by harriek

here are the pictures....

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1