Easy Lightroom question

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have been using Camera Raw and Photoshop

Since my camera came with LR6 I thought set it up and give it a try.....I know its a much better  workflow than the system I'm currently using.
My copy of Photoshop CS6 came with Camera Raw version 9.0.0.414

My questions are: 
Did my free Leica version of Lightroom come with a new version of Camera Raw and within LR where is it? The Leica DNGs open within the LR interface and I can adjust them but I expected the Camera Raw interface? Perhaps its a preference I need to set up?

A bit more info.
 I don't see Camera Raw listed in "Photo>Edit in" or  "Preferences> External Editing>custom"

All help and advice welcome......I'm new the this tool, soI'm not sure if I'm asking the correct questions? So feel free all advice is appreciated 
Thanks

Camera Raw is built in to LR so you don't see it. The Develop module of LR is effectively ACR with a LR interface. So you don't have to look for it, or specifically "edit in ACR". In checking for routine updates to LR, ACR will be automatically updated.

I'm a LR person, using PS for more detailed editing when necessary. That said, many people use ACR and PS as you did, and would not consider the LR workflow to be superior. Neither do I: it is just different, and I prefer it.

Edit. Unlike you, I went the other way: started with LR and then added PS (subscribed to Adobe CC), and normally took the route of "Edit in PS" from within LR. It took me a long time to realise that you had to make a deliberate choice to use ACR in PS, and that it was actually available there if you wanted it.

Edited by LocalHero1953

I'm going to LR for the filing system....... Currently I use Bridge ACR and PS /and Silver Effects Pro I tried LR years ago and didn't like the sliders..........Now you have me wondering if I should change a workflow that I'm used to ...and like?

I only assume it's better because it does more in one place .......currently I have an old version I use for batch processing, something I rarely do, except for resizing.

I love this group now you have me thinking.

Thanks

For a good overview of LR, you might want to check out the free video tutorials by Julieanne Kost (from Adobe….she also does PS videos)...

http://blogs.adobe.com/jkost/lightroom-training-videos

The books from Scott Kelby and Martin Evening are also worthwhile for those preferring books for reference.

In the end, workflow choices are a matter of personal preference…..there are strong feelings on all sides here, and most people end up liking what they've become accustomed to. For some, this includes integrating several software platforms.  For others, it's one or the other, like choosing Nikon/Canon, and no amount of logic or persuasion will change perspective.

Jeff

I prefer LR because my post processing needs are rarely complex, and when I import a batch of photos I will often sync Develop module settings across a batch of photos. I also use the Book module from time to time. So having LR's file management, post processing and printing facilities in one package suits my workflow. If you are more of a one at a time post processor, or need PS's advanced tools, than Bridge+ACR+PS may be better for you.

My recommendation is to work steadily through the library of video tutorials on the Adobe website. If you operate with two monitors, it is possible to have the tutorial running and pausing on one screen, and your own version of LR on the main screen. But that is not essential, just useful and the way I work.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I prefer LR because my post processing needs are rarely complex, and when I import a batch of photos I will often sync Develop module settings across a batch of photos. I also use the Book module from time to time. So having LR's file management, post processing and printing facilities in one package suits my workflow. If you are more of a one at a time post processor, or need PS's advanced tools, than Bridge+ACR+PS may be better for you.

Personally I do not want to use LR library.  I have a perfectly good filing system.  

Next you can edit multiple photos in ACR or Bridge.  I have had as many as 25 open in ACR at one time.  Do your base adjustments on first file, then select all, synchronize all.  Takes around 2 sec per image.   You can set ACR to open JPEGS if desired.

Or do above from bridge which is easier.   Edit one photo, return it to bridge.  At the top,  go to edit, develop settings, previous conversion,  select all you want to change with click and then shift click on the last.  Enter and it changes all the rest.  I have done as many as one hundred that way. 

• Like 1

Tobey Bilek quote:

"Personally I do not want to use LR library.  I have a perfectly good filing system. "

A good filing system is something I struggle with......  would you mind sharing yours ...please?

I prefer Bridge, PS as my workflow but I thought using LR would force me to have a better filing system and more consistent habits. Not being raised on the computer my habits are a bit haphazard.  

Personally I do not want to use LR library.  I have a perfectly good filing system.  

I don't have a separate LR library: my photos are stored in a Windows folder system, and I just use LR to interface with it.

My photos are stored by year, and then ad hoc by subject/location/event within the year.

Whatever works with you.

Edit: to avoid misconceptions by those not familiar with LR. There is a difference between the catalog, which is a single file including an index to where the photos are on your system, and the library, which is just your collection of photos wherever you happen to store them. LR does not store photos anywhere special. You can scatter them across multiple disk drives if you wish.

Edited by LocalHero1953

I currently don't use Lightroom ....I'm thinking of doing so, because LR forces you to get organized and stay organized. LR doesn't like when you move files and folders behind its back. I'm actually not looking forward to learning yet another software program but LR does have some advantages over my current work flow.

My current work flow is to download from camera to a folder on my  desktop..... while I work on the photos.......Bridge/ ACR/Photoshop/then print.......some how those darn folders get left on my desk top. Ligtroom forces you to get organized.

yes..... I know...... it s a personal flaw
  • Like 1