Q rear screen fragile and clicks

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So, I got my new Q on Thursday night, and spent Friday and Saturday getting to Burgundy. 

I gave the camera one afternoon's use, got to my hotel, and noticed the rear screen was broken. It is cracked/split in several places and won't display. I don't recall knocking it, but must have. After years of using digital cameras, including Leica MM, M240 and M-P240, Ricoh GR, I have never had a problem like this.

I am not sure who is at fault here. It's not the reason I'm posting this. I'm posting this as a warning to you new Q users to be careful not to have your Q wrecked in its first full day of use like mine has been.

:-(

I feel as shattered as that screen.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

P.S. - I have just begun a 9 day trip to Burgundy, where I am supposed to photograph for my business. I have written to the one contact I have at Leica Customer Care - Eberhard Jakob - and gotten an auto reply. Please PM me any contacts at Wetzlar you might have who can help me please. I think whatever the case, Leica will want to look at this camera to see what has happened to it. 

At least I have my M-P 240 and 50 APO here, but I was really looking forward to using the Q, and need that 28mm FOV. At least the EVF seems to be functioning, so I can use it like that. I was rather enjoying using the touch screen focus though.

Be careful with your Q!

• Like 2

Have sent you a PM. I have to say this looks bad if it is really this delicate and is made more problematic as I suppose you can't put on a rigid glass or plastic screen protector if you wish to keep the touch capabilities

You can use the iPhone Protector Touch Screens!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just for the sake of clarity, I am posting an image of the rear screen with the camera turned off. As you can see the camera is 100% unblemished. There is not a scratch, dent or mark on this brand new camera. In other words the rear screen glass is 100% intact on its exterior. It is only when you switch the camera on that the problem is evident.

(Please excuse this iPhone snap - I have little control over lighting in my hotel room).

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Yes, the rear screen is 100% perfect - not scratches. I am very careful with cameras. And this camera was inside the neoprene Leica M case inside the padded Filson Magnum bag when this must have happened. It was working fine when I last used the camera yesterday evening, and when I looked at it this morning it was internally cracked.

• Like 1

Jaap's comment sort of makes sense so not that it helps you let's hope that this is a one off production problem and not something  like the M9 sensor that had problems with mounting stress that could cause the glass covering to crack.

Edited by viramati
  • Like 1

I agree with Jaapv, I doubt if you have caused this by any impact. Some time ago I had some double-glazed windows installed in my home and a few days later of of the outer panes shattered into thousands of pieces (but didn't fall out of the frame). It too must have been under internal stress.

I'm sure that Leica will fix the problem for you in short order. I hope your trip to Burgundy is still a success.

Mike.

It's pretty worrying though. While I look after my cameras, I don't baby them either - part of the appeal of the well built Q was to be able to throw (not literally!) it my man bag and not worry about it too much. I'd be very interested in what Leica say about this, hopefully it's just a one off manufacturing issue rather than a design problem.

Edited by Guest

While I have never seen anything like that myself, I suppose it is a case of a faulty display panel. If bought within the EU the dealer is required to replace the camera free of charge.

It's pretty worrying though. 

Nothing to worry about yet.

If there were reports of this happening to multiple people then you could worry. For now lets not make a mountain out of a mole hill. 

I don't baby mine and so far no issues at all. Im sure the OP just has a defective part, and no doubt his dealer will resolve this promptly.

Edited by digitalfx

Thanks for posting the second picture. That makes sense, somehow. It's a touch screen also, so somehow the layers interact. 

Do we know that the outside glass is Gorilla? I've looked but haven't been able to find specifications. 

It is reported as being Gorilla glass