Advise needed. Issue with my Leica MP

What do you mean by 'lock the film canister'? Are you using an old Leica canister, or is this just a common single-use roll of say, Tri-X?

s-a

A film canister. Like a tri x. Normally when I load a film and advance the film, the film rewind crank is locked. But doesn't any more, I can turn both ways.

Just a wild stab in the dark, Per. Do you have an M3/M2 type rewind? In that case, I believe the outer ring can turn both ways when the film is advanced. If you have the M4 style rewind then it's odd. Either the film has broken off the canister's spool or there's a problem with the rewind mechanism. 

A film canister. Like a tri x. Normally when I load a film and advance the film, the film rewind crank is locked. But doesn't any more, I can turn both ways.

I have in front of me right now an MP loaded with Tri-X. When I turn the rewind knob clock-wise it turns until all the slack is taken up in the film on the spool in the cassette. If I turn the rewind knob counter-clock-wise it "lessens" the tension in the spooled film; I see no indication of it being 'locked'. If I un-wind the film with the knob and then advance the film by cocking the shutter the film advances but the two dots do not move. Makes perfect sense: the slack has to be drawn out of the film before the rewind shaft begins to turn, and with it the dots. There is some tendency for it to remain in whatever state it is in if I don't touch it but that appears to be caused by friction (this camera is about 2.5 years old). I just assume as it wears in/out it will begin to freewheel a bit, like my M3s.

I wrote this in spite of seeing your use of the word 'crank'. Do you have an MP with the M7-style angled rewind crank? I have no idea how those are supposed to behave. They might be clutched in some fashion. They're a popular choice with an a la carte camera so perhaps somebody will chime in; I've already killed three frames experimenting.  :)

Good luck, and good choice,

s-a

I wrote this in spite of seeing your use of the word 'crank'. Do you have an MP with the M7-style angled rewind crank? I have no idea how those are supposed to behave. They might be clutched in some fashion.

The M7 rewind is not clutched, but as you have pointed out, the slack needs to be taken up before it will turn.

I need a little help. When I load a film in my Leica MP, the camera will not lock the film canister, after I have advanced the film. It can turn both ways. What's wrong? I cannot afford to get my camera at Leica at this time

When the film rewind knob is down it should spin freely in both directions, it's not connected to anything, only the inner spindle with the two red dots is engaged with the film cassette. Without setting the rewind lever to 'R' you can pull the knob up and this engages the knurled knob with the centre spindle and you can turn it counter-clockwise to unwind the film until it starts to jamb and crease, or you can tighten clockwise a few turns until it locks but if you carry on you'll break something. Obviously setting the rewind lever to 'R' and then turning the knob in the clockwise 'tighten' direction rewinds the film.

If your rewind knob was once unable to turn when in the down position that is when it was broken, but not now. Maybe it fixed itself?

Steve

• 8 months later...

Thanks for the replies. Yes i have shot a lot of rolls since then and I have just send the camera for repair and CLA. There was still this issue but did not effect images. See images:

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/80477616@N03/

Mr. Geschlecht. I have not been interviewed by BBC. Was it about Greenland?

Hello Per,

My name is Michael.

Yes. There was a long interview with a person who had been spending an extended period of time in the Northeast of Greenland as part of a contract with the Danish Military.

The person said he was finishing up his contract with the Danish Military & was planning to go on to do other things & that he was going to make a career for himself as a photographer.

All & all a nice interview. He sounded like a very nice person with a good grasp of the World.

He seemed to be quite like the person you have been when you have written on this Forum in the past.

Do you think that you might know who this person is? I know that  Greenland is a large place in square meters but it might be that East Greenland has a small enough population so that people there might know or know of other people there who live extended distances away from each other.

I have always enjoyed your Posts & find that area of the World interesting.

A question: Are there any parts of Greenland, East or West, North or South where there are Musk Oxen as there are in various parts of the Tundras of the World?

Best Regards,

Michael