Fit of Olympus VF-2 on M 240

Sam

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

For those using the Olympus RF-2 VIEWFINDER: Does yours fit like this? I'm wondering if this gap is normal and/or of the Leica branded version fits any buyer. 

Sam

• Like 1

I have 2 M240's and 2 Olympus EVF-2's but I haven't used the EVF's since the novelty wore off.  They're great for ultra-wides to replace carrying several of the bright line finders at once, and for extreme close-ups using diopters or extension tubes, but for anything other than static shots, the blackout/lag of the M240 in live view is extremely limiting for me.   IIRC there was some kind of a rubber gasket around the male connector, which might be missing on yours, but I may be remembering incorrectly.  When I get home I'll check the fit if someone hasn't replied by then.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Thanks HV25 for confirming that. I might make a rubber shim.

On an unrelated note, I carefully scraped off the OLYMPUS lettering with a scalpel and then brushed the surface vertically with some Scotchbrite. Looks a lot better I think.

Yes - my Olympus viewfinder fits exactly this this. Also was wondering about it since I got it  ;)

The Leica one fits exactly the same. The blackout is considerably less annoying if you set the image review to " hold shutter button" as it replaces the blackout by a frozen image, which is often hardly noticeable.

It's not the blackout per se that annoys me, it's the inability to see the live action between shots.  I used Hasselblads for years, not to mention Visoflex.  I don't need a frozen review of my last shot, I need to see what's currently happening in the frame, for decisive moments, for action shots, and particularly sequences.  In fact whenever the subject of Leica's disadvantages over an SLR have been brought up, the complete lack of even split-second blackout has always been touted as a point in Leica's favor.  Now all of a sudden with Live View and EVF there seems to be some revisionism about that ;)   As I said, for static shots the EVF has it's advantages. 

Was pretty clear since the very beginning (see S. Read's review in sept. 2012) that LV and EVF were just accessory tools aimed at adding some TTL features to the M240 but as clear as i recall, nobody claimed that such accessories would compete with any sort of RF or SLR cameras. The next M will do better from this viewpoint i suspect but the camera will still remain a rangefinder hopefully.