APO 50mm Summicron Flare Issue

ivohula

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So why are we hearing ONLY about flare prone 50APOs...ALL with earlier SN's?

Why are we not hearing of problems with newer sn's >4299xxxx...?

So what do we believe:

1)personnel who failed to triple check a batch of older sn's (4189xxxx-42xxxxxx); 2)all 50 APO's are flare prone; or,

3)limited number of older 50APOs dating back to the blackout period are not properly retrofitted and entering the market in 2015?

Agree with Mark....don't buy 50APOs with older SN's (4189xxxx)...as there is a higher risk of flare...

Also agree, if you get one that behaves as it should, it is magical.

Edited by keenr

[...] when you get the chance, could you try the sun in the morning [...]

Just did it and i got the same blue ghost flare as yours with my 50/2.5 copy.  :o  Disappears with my 12517 rubber hood though fortunately. The latter is always stuck on the lens, reason why i had not noticed that horror... Bottom line to colleagues using this (otherwise) excellent lens: a good hood is mandatory.

• Like 1

Just did it and i got the same blue ghost flare as yours with my 50/2.5 copy.  :o  Disappears with my 12517 rubber hood though fortunately. The latter is always stuck on the lens, reason why i had not noticed that horror... Bottom line to colleagues using this (otherwise) excellent lens: a good hood is mandatory.

Thanks for taking the time to check this out.  I've never seen the blue ghosting in over a year of practical use, just this one time when the sun was shining directly on the lens.  It's a great little lens, so using a hood to avoid this circumstance is definitely worth it.  I'm guessing the new, F2.4 version does this as well.

Best,

Steve

As the one who started this thread, may I take the liberty of pointing out the main point of its existence and, perhaps, to end it.

As one who wanted a 50APO since its introduction, I was surprised by the flare issue that afflicted the first lenses produced. These were the "early serial number lenses" produced and there was a general consensus on this site that these early serial numbers were flare-prone, so buyer beware. Then, the lens was taken off the market for a "fix" and reintroduced several months later.

Leica has never officially advised anyone about the exact technicalities of this "fix". These later lenses had a later serial number, were produced after March 2014 and started with serial number 4235xx, and I will call them "post redesign serial number lenses". These post redesign lenses were now generally thought of as flare free and I thought the whole flare issue had run its course.

I spent my money on a new 50 APO in June of 2015 and got an early serial number lens that flared. It was returned to Leica and as their explanation for the early serial number was lacking, I requested a late serial number (458xxx), which I got - and - no flare.

My issue then was that early serial number lenses may still show flare and, buyer beware, if you purchase a low serial number 50APO, you may be getting a dud. If you purchase a higher serial number, then this does not seem to be the case. Is there anyone out there who has a post redesign serial number (higher than 4235xx) lens that flared? The date on the sticker seems to be irrelevant to me in resolving this problem. And, there again seems to be no official Leica line as to what the date stands for.

• Like 2

I purchased the 50mm f2.0 APO last week from BH, and the serial number is 4189xxx.  I requested a replacement with the latter serial number but they told me that they don't know the serial number so they are not sure they can honor my request.  However, I can return the lens for a refund within 30 days.

I wonder how Neuer request the replacement and what channel he has to go through.  With dealer or Leica directly.  I am in Toronto, Canada.

Test the lens, if it is OK then don't worry as we certainly don't know whether every lens in this sn range is flare-prone.

If it's no good then return it for a refund. Either re-buy buy from B&H or ring around the smaller Leica dealers specifically asking for a ≥0458xxxx sn lens.  You may have to wait a short time but f the dealer wants the sale they will request such a lens form Leica Canada or USA if they aren't crying an APO-50 with that sn range.  

I'm on my second copy and both in the 4189xxxx range. My first was a flare-magnet, which i promptly reported to my dealer and Leica NJ, sharing photos and such. It was replaced without question. My second one was only a few numbers off the first SN; it is is much better but still not near my 50 lux.

Mine were bought new in NYC, and I've since notified Leica/Germany per advice of my dealer.

It is without doubt a beautiful rendering lens.

I am hopeful they'll replace mine, despite having owned the 2nd one for greater than 30 days.

• Like 2

What is not normal with the 50/2 apo is CVF i.e. central veiling flare which appears at f/16 when shooting against the light. Looks like a pale stain in the middle of the frame. Apart from that, normal flare may appear like with any lens when there are strong light sources outside of the frame. Lens hoods are made for that and in the worst cases your hand (or your hat) will solve the issue.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi and welcome to the forum.  

If it flares as in my post #84 above then there may be a problem and you may want to get it checked/exchanged. My initial lenses were almost unusable with this problem

For years, if I've been shooting in a very flare-prone angle into the sun I'll always shade the lens with my free hand.

Mark

As the one who started this thread, may I take the liberty of pointing out the main point of its existence and, perhaps, to end it.

As one who wanted a 50APO since its introduction, I was surprised by the flare issue that afflicted the first lenses produced. These were the "early serial number lenses" produced and there was a general consensus on this site that these early serial numbers were flare-prone, so buyer beware. Then, the lens was taken off the market for a "fix" and reintroduced several months later.

Leica has never officially advised anyone about the exact technicalities of this "fix". These later lenses had a later serial number, were produced after March 2014 and started with serial number 4235xx, and I will call them "post redesign serial number lenses". These post redesign lenses were now generally thought of as flare free and I thought the whole flare issue had run its course.

I spent my money on a new 50 APO in June of 2015 and got an early serial number lens that flared. It was returned to Leica and as their explanation for the early serial number was lacking, I requested a late serial number (458xxx), which I got - and - no flare.

My issue then was that early serial number lenses may still show flare and, buyer beware, if you purchase a low serial number 50APO, you may be getting a dud. If you purchase a higher serial number, then this does not seem to be the case. Is there anyone out there who has a post redesign serial number (higher than 4235xx) lens that flared? The date on the sticker seems to be irrelevant to me in resolving this problem. And, there again seems to be no official Leica line as to what the date stands for.

Sorry, but are you saying made after March 2014AND with a serial number higher than 4235xx and above? I have one I just bought and the serial is 4290xx and made in July 2014. I haven't mounted the lens yet, but is that in the problem zone??