Lens Screwdrivers

crow

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Where can I buy a couple of thin flat screwdrivers? I am trying to clean an old used lens.

I got some cheap thin jewelry screw drivers that although thin and small don't go into the screws' thread, at all.

Specifically this is about a Pen F 38/1.8 lens. Any one know which number/screwdriver needs to be bought?

I know a lens can be opened from the front using rubber cones, but even though dirty rear glass on a lens means bad effect on any images taken with the lens, I will open the lens. To reach the rear glass element seems logical to open the lens from the rear.

Edited by crow

The simplest fix is to grind the screwdriver head on a whetstone, by trial and error you should be able to make one the right size. I've done this to make one of the right size for adjusting the rf on a model IIIa.

I see, so the mystery goes on, no open school on how to service lenses, am I to realize that there are no special screwdrivers also, or are you suggesting this as a cheap easy to achieve alternative? Sounds good, your idea.

Oh sorry, I though it was an open discussion, but as you suggest just for a Leica lens. Or could it have to do with screwdrivers that can open a Leica lens also? 

Edited by crow

I would expect that every type of lens would require different tools for opening and adjusting. Hence, I would think that here you would  predominantly find people who know how to open lenses made by Leica.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I see. To me it still is a mystery. I understand every Brand, certainly Leica has their own system. But really where does one learn how to open a Leica summar, or a Leica Summicron, or an Elmarit -M? Is there a school? Are there any seminars? And where can one buy particularly screwdrivers for the job? I know ebay sells the rubber cylinders/cones.

Edited by crow

I see. To me it still is a mystery. I understand every Brand, certainly Leica has their own system. But really where does one learn how to open a Leica summar, or a Leica Summicron, or an Elmarit -M? Is there a school? Are there any seminars? And where can one buy particularly screwdrivers for the job? I know ebay sells the rubber cylinders/cones.

I don't know that there is a particular reason to get arsey and annoyed about it. For getting into the back of most Leica lenses a set of six screwdrivers that go from (-) 1.4x20mm to 2.4x20mm for the three flathead and then (+) #00 x20mm to # 1x20mm as the spread for the three cross head screwdrivers just about does it. Getting in from the back door after removing the rear flange is often a far more difficult endeavour than going in from the front (with the correct tools), but you never know, a few kind words an a promise to be gentle may do it.

Steve

Among my odd tools I have a set of 'gun screwdrivers' that very often fit small screws nicely. I got them in Rhode Island. A good good addition to the rest. Google and ye shall find.

FAR too gentle, and it will be an experiment lens, sold as is, that can't be fixed by the department store, perfect for one that wants to learn how to open a lens. Yes, the rear has far more mechanical parts than the front, so I'll try the front first, just rubber cones and the two point tool, and if I can get to the part of glass that is dirty alright, if not, I 'll have to open the rear. Thanks people.

For lens repairs I use German "Wera" screw drivers.

You can go the cheap route - the typical 5 USD cheap "jewelers set" or you buy a good set of Wera screw drivers which will last, and last, and last, …

http://www.wera.de

Sizes of screw heads on lenses differ a lot.

I suggest you either buy a small set (start at 1mm width, and at ~2mm) or you measure as precisely as you can the actual screw in question and buy specifically the tool as measured.

Most important:

1) make sure you understand what you are doing

2) stop what ever you are doing once you get the feeling you are not entirely sure about point 1

Pico, these are the type I use from Wera:

L1055333-M9%20Digital%20Camera-quick%20b

This is just my small emergency kit of tools which I always carry when traveling with a Leica M.

I used to use Wiha tools in the past but since running a business in Shanghai I found it much easier and more economic to use Wera small tools.

I suppose these screwdrivers are produced in China mainland, as I am able to procure them in bulk at about 30-50% of the German retail price locally (imported tools in China are usually MUCH more expensive then locally produced).

I have some I bought in hardware shops back in Germany and the major selection in our workshop I have had bought in China mainland and they are identical.

What is great about these Wera screwdrivers (same as the respective Wiha tools) is the strength of the steel and the extremely durable surface treatment.

You can put very high torque on such small drivers as the 1mm slot blades and they hold up for regular use for a long long time!

Put the same torque on those cheap screwdrivers you get a set for the same price as one Wera driver and you can literally see the blade twisting and ultimately crumble apart.

I would never buy cheap tools! Even for our workshop, I buy only the best. These tools easily cost 5-10 times as much as indigenous low cost tools but in the end are in fact more economical (not to mention significantly less damage cost to product, lower risk of operator injury due to tool failures, etc).

Edited by menos I M6
  • Like 1

You can put very high torque on such small drivers as the 1mm slot blades and they hold up for regular use for a long long time!

It is too easy to over-torque small fasteners. Really, very little is needed. Just seat the screw, give it a little more twist and quit.

A fastener over-tightened is already half-broken, in my experience.

I got some cheap thin jewelry screw drivers that although thin and small don't go into the screws' thread, at all.

Thats the problem...... 'cheap'

Get a set of proper Bergeon ones ...... they come with spare blades that can be changed.

Proper jewellery equipment retailers online will have them. Not cheap, but they will last forever