Is Leica T headed for discontinuation?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I had recently read on Leica la vida on   that as Leica T has not  sold well, company is planning to discontinue the T.

I am very sorry as I bought one (I have also an M240) and I am really happy. I am sad to think that as other nice leica product there is a risk to own a dead system!!!

I had recently read on Leica la vida on   that as Leica T has not  sold well, company is planning to discontinue the T.

I am very sorry as I bought one (I have also an M240) and I am really happy. I am sad to think that as other nice leica product there is a risk to own a dead system!!!

Oh yeah??? Believe that and you'll believe anything … it's just unsubstantiated, "Ooooh errr Missus"  gossip … Likely to be pure journalese.

dunk

8 weeks ago I had a training at leica academy in Wetzlar and I was talking about the T with some leica staff. There was no clue

that the T could be discontinued , the were even looking forward introducing some new T stuff in the future.

BRDGS

Christof

• Like 1

If it is discontinued soon then it will be because of a) The Dye-in-the-wool types who will have nothing but a range finder who have slated it and B) a Review Site that got the hump with Leica on the release and killed it from birth.

Personally, I think it is a very nice camera to own and use.

G

Edited by Mr10Percent
  • Like 2

Highly unlikely it will be discontinued … but highly likely the regular 'nay sayers' will continue to offer their 'expert' :rolleyes:  "opinions" about the camera (which they've probably never used) … as well as offering their dogmatic management and marketing expertise to Leica Camera AG.

dunk

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'd be amazed - they've invested a lot in the new mount.

My pick is that this first camera will continue for a while, but we will see more T mount products (full frame?) and eventually an upgrade (T2), which deals with the issues.  It's a very nice camera with some teething issues.  I can't imagine they will ditch the whole project.  The reception the Q is getting makes it pretty clear that Leica's market share will tolerate another system (I think).  

Leica has also said for some time that there is a gap to be filled, they want to get to 1%, and the S, M & X cameras aren't going to get them there ...

• Like 1

Everything is possible, I'm not a camera company CEO but I think it's crazy that a camera company discontinues a new camera system with a new mount after a little bit more than one year without even trying to improve it with a new body and more lenses.  How are they gonna deal with the angry mob of customers carrying pitchforks and torches?

I do really have a pitchfork by the way but I'm lacking in torches. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Well i guess there would really be an angry mob coming for them if they discontinued the T-mount. They've introduced multiple Firmware updates that improved the usability already, but an update for the mobile app to add functionality like the Q app has should have been released along the Q. Plus the last time Leica talked about lenses was when the camera was released, remember they had two available and they said right at launch the other two would come at photokina. Since then, the topic of new glass has never been publicly discussed by Leica, which is a shame as the T is not a "cheap" camera and customers want to protect their investment of multiple thousands of dollars.

Let's hope that they'll have something to announce rather sooner than later, some Summiluxes would be a nice way to please me.

Since it was introduced, I have used the T with a 23mm lens, M lenses, Viso, and R lenses.  It is my favorite camera because I I always have it with me.  The pictures are fine and I have had no trouble with the camera at all.  The system works well when I use the M240 for more complex jobs.  I hope Leica keeps making the T, but more importantly, I hope Leica makes a "Big Brother"... The QT. 

An exciting thought is the T lens mount on a Q body.  The T mount would allow every lens Leica ever made to be used with adapter rings on a full frame camera.  Leica will then make a series of auto-focus lenses to go along with the manual lenses we already have.  (Right... We have to re-buy all our favorite lenses.)  

However, the one feature I would add to this new camera (the QT) is image stabilization (IS) located in the body, not the lenses.  Then all those glorious R telephotos can be used.  Every pro I know uses IS all the time in every camera (Nikon/Canon) they have.  I have a vivid memory of the first time I saw IS in a Canon 300mm lens many years ago.  We were in a scrum shooting a political campaign, when another photographer friend walks up to me and says, "Sully, try this". He was the first of our crowd to get this lens.   Wow.... Suddenly, we could all hold long lenses at slower shutter speeds.  Image Stabilization completely changed the way we did business.  For me it would be a necessity for any professional work. Please, Leica....Put IS into the coming QT!!!!

Ciao,  Sully

• Like 5

Don't believe everything you read on La Vida Leica.

What??  Don't be ridiculous - if it's on the internet, it has to be true! 

The Global Internet Monitoring Police would never stand for false information being published on the internet.  The GIMP keeps us all safe from being misled on the internet (incidentally, the GIMP is in no way connected to or affiliated with the gimp of Pulp Fiction legend and lore).

Edited by Carlos Danger
  • Like 2

Introducing a new system, developing a full portfolio of lenses, and establishing it in the market takes its time. Leica has a roadmap spanning several years.

• Like 5

Introducing a new system, developing a full portfolio of lenses, and establishing it in the market takes its time. Leica has a roadmap spanning several years.

It would be extremely nice if they would share that with their customers, at least the lens roadmap, just like Fuji and to a lesser extent Sony do...

• Like 4

If true, then you have a collectible camera.

Edit: Sorry, I see that has been mentioned.

Edited by pico

... I hope Leica makes a "Big Brother"... The QT. 

An exciting thought is the T lens mount on a Q body.  The T mount would allow every lens Leica ever made to be used with adapter rings on a full frame camera.  Leica will then make a series of auto-focus lenses to go along with the manual lenses we already have.  (Right... We have to re-buy all our favorite lenses.)  

However, the one feature I would add to this new camera (the QT) is image stabilization (IS) located in the body, not the lenses.  Then all those glorious R telephotos can be used. .... Please, Leica....Put IS into the coming QT!!!!

Yes agree completely.  A full-frame mashup between Q and T, with T lens mount, built-in state-of-the-art EVF, smart adapters for R, M and other brand lenses, and IMAGE STABILIZATION IN THE BODY.  And don't let Sony beat you to it; the a7 series is 90% of the way there.