Reorganizing the Film forums

A miller

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I personally don't see nearly the same level of correlation between film Ms and digital Ms as I do Film Ms and discussions about film and film photography workflow.  Film Ms and guitar Ms are COMPLETELY separate and distinct topics.  The threads within each sub-forum bear no relationship to each other.  

About your idea to make film & developing purposely tangential to the Majority of the Forum even where there is significant beneficial overlap: I would ask you why?

Best Regards,

Michael

Hi Michael,

First, please be aware that, in spite of being forum member since Nov. 2002, I have very few posts.  I am shy to expose my ignorance and growing mental incapacities.  I am very cautious about giving offense, in spite of my best intentions.  I have had trouble comprehending your posts.

I am intensely interested in the viewfinders of M film cameras, the shutter in M film cameras, operating M film cameras successfully and film that goes into M film cameras.  Adam's suggested hierarchy fits perfectly with my interests.

Everything else in the Leica forum is just something I have to wade through to get to what interests me.

I did not even know that Leica's excellent SL cameras were not in the R camera section.  It's been decades since I was interested in SLR cameras, film or digital.

I do not know if your "end up making Film Photography more & more tangential & irrelevant to the main thrust of the Forum. Not more inclusive." comment is correct or not. 

In the last 13 years, the Leica Forum became more and more irrelevant to me as it changed to the current organization.  This was the website which originally helped me decide to purchase an 90 APO Summicron and an M7.  As the Leica Forum defined its "main thrust", I was tempted to sell all my Leica equipment and shoot 120 film.

Since Doc Henry's thread, I have purchased a used M4-P, a camera which I have come to love using, unlike the new M6 I purchased in 1985 which was always "within Leica tolerances" but never became something I could rely on with 100% confidence.  I have also kept the M7, and learned to work with it with affection, not hostility.  I have shot four times as much film since I started viewing Doc's thread last January than I used to shoot in a year.

To me, Charlie Watts' response to Mick Jagger's original provocative assertion "You're MY drummer!" is humorous.  I hope you will think so too.

Charlie Watts replied "I ain't YOUR drummer, you're MY singer!" 

I'm confident Adam's suggested hierarchy will make it easier for people interested in film images from Leica M equipment to consider the Leica Forum a resource for them.  I have read that some people start out with digital equipment and become curious about using Leica film equipment.

Cheers,

David

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Andreas - given the stong cuncurrence by numerous very active members, i am both surprised and disappointed that you have not been more responsive to the current state of disarray of the various film subforums and the proposals to make these subforums sing like the Frankfurt Opera.  

I'd appreciate hearing your current thinking on this.  

As a recent convert to all-film, i find the forum MUCH less user friendly and organized relative to the digital-centric subforums.  It is becoming a little too exhausting for my taste.

• 1 month later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Finally - back from my loooong vacation and reduced my email inbox to a 2-digit number of unread mails.

Can someone make up a complete suggestion how a complete Film Forum would look like?

What section would need to me moved or changed?

What about the R-System & Leicaflex?

Does the suggested „Film and film photography workflow“ include the darkroom section? Additional contents?

As I said in my last post „this is not a NO“:

This is not a YES.

I have to figure out how this could work and will decide later.

Thanks for your input!

Andreas

Finally - back from my loooong vacation and reduced my email inbox to a 2-digit number of unread mails.

Can someone make up a complete suggestion how a complete Film Forum would look like?

What section would need to me moved or changed?

What about the R-System & Leicaflex?

Does the suggested „Film and film photography workflow“ include the darkroom section? Additional contents?

As I said in my last post „this is not a NO“:

This is not a YES.

I have to figure out how this could work and will decide later.

Thanks for your input!

Andreas

Hi Andreas - I feel that I have raised the conceptual problem with the current forum format and provided some specific suggestions (albeit at a high level) that would go a long way toward addressing the conceptual problems and significantly enhancing your forum.  As the owner, I will leave it up to you as to how to deal with the nitty gritty specifics, or not deal with them, as you deem in your best interest.

Best, Adam