Has the bottom fallen out of the Leica collectors' market?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Sadly enough, some bidders will fall into the trap and bid in full believe to acquire unique, rare item. Punishment for the lack of knowledge?

i just wonder, why SAS call themselves reputable and experienced action house - an easy research would be enough to understand what they offer. On the other side - not a single note that cameras and engravings are genuine. IMO this is not a serious auction house.

SAS  IS  a very experienced and reputable auction house! No more to be said. 

correct, SAS is reputable and serious auction house.

I went directly to their web page http://www.specialauctionservices.com/large/cm010715/page018.html lot 894 (Compur Leica) has a special note about strange engravings.

Link provided by SideB in #1, the saleroom, give only partial description and less fotos than the SAS web page.

I am rewoking my opinion from #2

Edited by jerzy
  • Like 1

Interesting but I still think their guide prices greatly undervalue the equipment.  Personally I would love a Summilux and as long as it was a genuine lens in good order for that price I wouldn't care if it had "Propertry of Father Christmas" engraved on it.  I suspect a lot of other people who love Leica cameras because they use them will agree.

Edited by SideB

correct, SAS is reputable and serious auction house.

I went directly to their web page http://www.specialauctionservices.com/large/cm010715/page018.html lot 894 (Compur Leica) has a special note about strange engravings.

Link provided by SideB in #1, the saleroom, give only partial description and less fotos than the SAS web page.

I am rewoking my opinion from #2

Ah, indeed. This is very different from the first link:

"The following 58 lots are all genuine Leica products, in our opinion. However, please note that we believe that all these pieces have, many years after the original date of manufacture, had spurious names and numbers engraved onto them. These lots are offered at values consistent with original Leica equipment in damaged condition, as, in our opinion, the false inscriptions detract from the value of the original pieces."

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Unlikely that e.g. Sotheby and Christie would offer such known spuriously engraved pieces. All very well to add a rider stating that engravings are spurious … but does not alter the fact that items with false provenance(s) are being offered. 

Unlikely they would auction e.g. high end watches with spurious engravings purporting exotic provenances so why is it 'OK' to offer a load of fake provenance cameras? 

The honourable solution would be to withdraw them from sale. 

dunk

Edited by dkCambridgeshire