One of the Last 100 Noctilux 50mm f/1.0 lenses sells on fleabay

Herr Barnack

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If the seller's comments in the article are accurate, he/she took one hell of a bath on the sale, losing around $7200 USD. 

That sort of drives a stake thru the heart of the popular delusion that Leica lenses are a good investment. :rolleyes:

Edited by Carlos Danger
  • Like 1

The "Noctilux last 100" was a typical "special" aimed to rich collectors... personally, I find it very difficult that some appears on ebay (not to speak of the lens only, without the box and goodies...  ) ;  if those costly "specials" can be considered an "investiment" is highly questionable B) (Leitz inflated this niche with M6s... and seems to me that they haven't enjoyed a bright career in the market...) , but seems that Leica has always (or next to) found the way to sell them.... even the superluxury M9 Hermes kits... 

That sort of drives a stake thru the heart of the popular delusion that Leica lenses are a good investment. :rolleyes:

Not at all- no 'stake in the heart'- perhaps a little wedge and only if you buy the overpriced special edition stuff at full retail. My Noctilux f1 has doubled in price since I bought it about 5 years ago. BTW I got it at a good price. B)

• Like 1

Wood boxes, hummidors, white gloves and an exquisite piece of glass, that never gets used... This is why so many photographers (pros ans amateurs) are seeing us, Leica users, as a bunch of snobs :-/

Hermes kits and other silly ideas  - I see putting any technical and optical abilities to those lifestyle products as a pure waste of resources. Just my 3 cents.

Edited by Cooder
  • Like 5

Advertisement (gone after registration)

And your point is ... better buy lenses for actual use?

If that's the case then I agree with that. :-)

Yes.

I got my F1.0 Noctilux in August of 2008 for $6500 USD.  It seems to work fine, even without the $8500 USD humidor storage box.  When I do my part, the images it produces are simply stunning.

But now that I think about it, there surely must be something wrong with it that is escaping my scrutiny - it couldn't possibly be the equal of the $15,000 USD 1/100 version.  :rolleyes:

Edited by Carlos Danger

But now that I think about it, there surely must be something wrong with it that is escaping my scrutiny - it couldn't possibly be the equal of the $15,000 USD 1/100 version.  :rolleyes:

Given the financial meltdown since 2008 (do you remember that?), it isn't surprising collectibles priced and sold on the crest of a wave haven't yet recovered. But wait a couple of decades and even though the owner still won't be able to use it for fear of devaluing the lens it will make any current Noctilux seem extremely cheap. Usually this price wave is a 'problem' that only applies to a short term Leica user or collector.

Steve

Edited by 250swb

Given the financial meltdown since 2008 (do you remember that?)...

Yes - as a matter of fact the Wall Street sewer backed up four weeks after I took delivery of my Noctilux.  I fear that if I were to purchase the 0.95 Noctilux ASPH, blood might well commence to running down the walls...  :o

I got my f1.0 Noctilux in 2006 as the 30% discount lens offer for M8 early buyers. I think it was $2750 with the discount. I sold it a couple of years later for $5000. I now have the f.95 Noctilux which I will not sell ever.

Yes.

I got my F1.0 Noctilux in August of 2008 for $6500 USD.  It seems to work fine, even without the $8500 USD humidor storage box.  When I do my part, the images it produces are simply stunning.

I think you'll find that many will ask what's wrong with their lenses that produce simply stunning photos while costing but a fraction of your $6500 lens 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I think you'll find that many will ask what's wrong with their lenses that produce simply stunning photos while costing but a fraction of your $6500 lens 

Nothing is "wrong" with their lenses as far as I know, not having actually seen their lenses or the photos they produce. 

As for my lens, I like the photos it produces.  So I shoot with it. 

Pretty simple stuff.

Edited by Carlos Danger