b+w filters on SOWGE

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

I sort of accidentally won the 50mm Summilux LTM (SOWGE) on the WestLicht Auction over the weekend (placed the bid and then kind of forgot about it). Anyway, now I’m getting the lens.

So I’m trying to figure out the filter situation for it. It’s E43, but I can’t seem to find anything consistent on the thread pitch, specifically if modern B+W filters fit on it. I have a few other lenses from that era: a 50mm Summicron DR from 1962 and a 1966 Noctilux, all of which work with present-day filters.

Thanks,

-jbl

Edited by jbl

The thread pitch is indeed different to the modern, current B+W filters in E43.

When I had a 50/1.4 vII the situation was that some E43 filters would sort of work (you could not completely screw them on but sufficiently lock them about 1/2 to 1 thread away from full fit.

Some filters did fit, others where impossible to screw on.

I found back then that some vintage "Walz" filters worked fine and if I remember correctly some Nikon brand filters I used on a 3.5cm f1.8 W-Nikkor LTM lens worked as well (but my remembering could throw me a wrench here).

If I am not mistaken, Leica has re-issued a filter set for their new E43 Summilux ASPH lenses which might fit.

I have a Summilux BM first version, which is exactly (about filter/hood) like the SOWGE you won at Westlicht (*) : for M8 I bought an UVIR B+W E43 "Pro" (black mount) which fits perfectly : the XOOIM hood is mountable with the filter on, and you can also mount the XOOIM reversed ; only issue, the "travel" configuration, with XOOIM reversed and cap on (14037) cannot be set.... the filter prevents to fit the cap (this, on the contrary, is possible with the original Leitz UV filter I too have) 

(*) You have been luckier than me...  I bid for a SOOZI, and was outbid for 100 Euros in the last minute... :(

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Like 1

You cand find it easily : try on the bay, even Leica makes an UVIR silver in E43 that fit

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 2 weeks later...

Just to point out, the Leica 13206 filter and the front lens ring of 50mm Summilux forms a slot which the lens hood 12521/12586 claws will 'rest" on. (See JCB's #5 post 2nd picture)

The no-front-thread Leica E43 filter which penetrates the lens hood 12521/12586 and using designated lens slot to rest the lens hood claws .  

Note that the smaller outer diameter of  the filter than that of the lens front barrel.   (See JCB's #5 post 3rd picture)

I have tried a slim heliopan E43 filter which will screw on my 50mm Summilux perfectly. But both Leica lens hoods 12521/12586 won't be locked positively into its slot.

Note that the standard filter thread of 43mm filter, leica or non-leica, both have 0.5 thread pitch.  

Also the Leica lens hood can be unscrewed /separated from its hood base.   You may drop in a slim heliopan E43 filter and screw back it shade.  

It will not lock the shade positively on lens but still usable.  May need to sand off the front/rear thread of heliopan E43 a bit to fit.

Edited by f3p5
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I forgot to say, my Summilux 50mm lens is version 2.    I can use the 2 Leica 13206 filters mentioned in my last post interchangeably.

So I guess Summilux 50mm lens version 1 has the same filter thread as that on version 2 lens which is 43mmx0.5.

Edited by f3p5