50 APO loose - anyone sent lens to Leica?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The forward portion, containing the lens elements, of my lens was a bit loose when delivered. There is no apparent degradation of images or focusing. You can rotate the rim maybe 1/2mm in either direction or shift it up/down and left/right the same amount with respect to the rear mount assembly. User in U.S.

Has anyone else noticed this with his lens? Does it have to go to Germany to be safely repaired?

Thanks.

The forward portion, containing the lens elements, of my lens was a bit loose when delivered. There is no apparent degradation of images or focusing. You can rotate the rim maybe 1/2mm in either direction or shift it up/down and left/right the same amount with respect to the rear mount assembly. User in U.S.

Grab the lens and turn it clockwise. If it moves, your alleged problem is  solved.

Edited by pico

Leica needs to get its QC act together.  Over the years, I've received some brand new lenses that were defective, including a large bubble in the front of a 90mm R lens.  Others on this forum have reported QC problems as well.  At the price we pay, it is inexcusable - period.

• Like 3

Grab the lens and turn it clockwise. If it moves, your alleged problem is  solved.

Not sure what you meant by that. As stated originally, when I do what you say, it (barrel with respect to mount) moves and thus demonstrates the problem rather than solves it.

Has anyone else noticed this with his lens? Does it have to go to Germany to be safely repaired?

Thanks.

I had a similar issue with my 28mm Elmarit ASPH. Although it was the filter mount which was lose, nothing connected to any optical component.

Still, even at the lower price point of $2000, it is still a very expensive lens and any lose parts are not acceptable. I returned it to the dealer, who replaced it with another in their stock after talking with Leica.

Edited by Mornnb

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also having a QC issue with my 50 APO.  Appears that the aperture ring isn't as tight as it should.  It's not causing any image problem, just that when you turn the ring, you can hear (a different sounding click) and sometimes feel a bit of a wobble.  I am debating to either send it in or just keep using it and see how it goes.  Anyone else notice that the aperture ring is a bit on the loose side?

The aperture ring on mine is certainly not tight and a tiny amount of side to side play is evident, but this is about the same as that on my 21 Super Elmar and marginally greater than that of my 35 Summilux.  Everything else about the build quality is rock solid and the performance is flawless across the frame. In his review Steve Huff noted that the aperture ring was "a little too loose", so I am sanguine about this.

The aperture ring on mine is certainly not tight and a tiny amount of side to side play is evident, but this is about the same as that on my 21 Super Elmar and marginally greater than that of my 35 Summilux.  Everything else about the build quality is rock solid and the performance is flawless across the frame. In his review Steve Huff noted that the aperture ring was "a little too loose", so I am sanguine about this.

I'm in the same boat. The aperture ring indents have minimal effect, but the lens performs flawlessly.

My 50mm Summicron was similar. It must be an easy fix for that lens at least because I had it with me at Photokina last year when I visited the Leica stand. I mentioned the aperture ring sloppiness and one of the guys tried it and asked me to call back in about half an hour, When i returned I found it better but not exactly as tight as I would like it so he took it away again and fixed it perfectly. I was very impressed - and grateful.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

My Apo Summicron 50 ASPH. has developed a loose front end. You can wobble the front (from end of lens to back of focusing sleeve) relative to the mount. I noticed it when I turned the camera over to remove the base plate, it went clunk. This is after about a year's use. I have sent it for repair.

There seem to be a lot of QC problems with this lens.  I have found that the APO 50 is superb when everything works as it should.

Perhaps the employee who signed the final inspection card for a lens with QC problems should send the customer (who spent a considerable amount of money) a personal Email with an apology?  

Perhaps two people should independently do the final mechanical, optical, and especially flare inspections before each lens leaves the factory.  

Two inescapable rules of the business of selling high-end, exotic, and costly lenses are 1, that most customers will hold the lens to the expected rigorously high standards; and 2, that customers will discuss any problems on the internet. There is no doubt that customers do these things.  

Best,

Steve

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Loose front groups are common with many Leica lenses.

Both my 28 cron and SEM 21 became loose.

I sent them to DAG and he does it right away, not expensive, and they haven't loosened again after alot of use.

It's not hard to tighten them, but you need a special tool:

• Like 1

Many lenses have the optical assembly secured to the focus assembly by a threaded ring reached through the back of the lens. When people use the front of the lens to turn the bayonet into the body and back out, the back and forth twisting can cause the threaded retaining ring to come loose, then it loosens further with normal use. I've seen this on lenses from 1954 Canon 50 f1.8 to both 35 and 50 2.5 Summarits. I got my used 35 Summarit as a bargain because it had loosened, which also makes the aperture clicks loose on that model. Two minutes with a lens spanner and it was good as new. Hasn't loosened since.

• Like 1

Many lenses have the optical assembly secured to the focus assembly by a threaded ring reached through the back of the lens. When people use the front of the lens to turn the bayonet into the body and back out, the back and forth twisting can cause the threaded retaining ring to come loose, then it loosens further with normal use. I've seen this on lenses from 1954 Canon 50 f1.8 to both 35 and 50 2.5 Summarits. I got my used 35 Summarit as a bargain because it had loosened, which also makes the aperture clicks loose on that model. Two minutes with a lens spanner and it was good as new. Hasn't loosened since.

Exactly. Often people think they have a lemon. Or they single out manufacturers: ever hear of the "zeiss wobble"? People would send their loose ZM lenses in to Zeiss and wait months for a simple operation.