burning man - dust and leica m9

filzer

Advertisement (gone after registration)

i am looking for an advice from people who already have been at the burning man festival in the desert of nevada and brought their digital leica m with them.

as i can read everywhere, the very fine dust is hard for cameras, it creeps in everywhere. zip loc bags, underwater gear, general dust proof cams, tapeing the openings, or dont give a f* at all - these are the common tips.

i'd really love to bring my leica m9 with me, but i am not sure if this is an good idea - maybe somebody has been there already and can give me some direction? can the M9 take the hard conditions?

i'd take only one lens, the 35 FLE or the old 50 cron the most possible candidates, never take the lens off, carry a bag with zip-loc in it to keep the camera inside when storm or not doing pictures. you think that is enough?

thanks in advance for any tips - even if you say i should keep it at home...

philipp

I'm sure you have the Burning Man prep guides. Mentioned for the rest, winds to 40mph are possible and unpredictable. Dust is a real issue.

I am not fussy about my gear, but unsealed digital cameras are pesky. I'd leave my M9 in an insulated box in the truck and likely use it at night. (Mainly because I hate the daytime heat. :)) The rest of the time it's film. 

Good luck! Have fun.

• Like 1