Annotated Index of Leica Photography Magazine & Call for Old Issues

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Huge job, well done, a great reference library.

A few suggestions:

- separate in 2 sections the Photography magazines from the Fotografie magazines (2 different magazines)

- adjust the front cover icons so each is labeled with its visible date (maybe with Volume and Issue #)

- show a table somewhere at the beginning that identifies the issues you are still missing

- someday ... add the 1932-1939 Leica Photography magazines; they must exist in enthusiasts' storage drawers

Has anyone or any company ever scanned the Leica Fotografie magazines, in any language?

Huge job, well done, a great reference library.

A few suggestions:

- separate in 2 sections the Photography magazines from the Fotografie magazines (2 different magazines)

- adjust the front cover icons so each is labeled with its visible date (maybe with Volume and Issue #)

- show a table somewhere at the beginning that identifies the issues you are still missing

- someday ... add the 1932-1939 Leica Photography magazines; they must exist in enthusiasts' storage drawers

Has anyone or any company ever scanned the Leica Fotografie magazines, in any language?

Those are really great ideas. If Leica lets me keep the archive up, I'll incorporate them.

Brief update:

I've acquired three of the missing issues (v02n05, v07n01, and v11n02).

I've decided to prioritize completing the archive through 1960. Here is my list of missing issues through 1960:

• All issues before Fall 1949 (v02n06 and earlier)
  • v04n01 Spring 1951
  • v04n02 Summer 1951
  • v05n02 Summer 1952
  • v10n04 Winter 1957
  • v13n01 Spring 1960

I will happily pay postage for anyone willing to mail me issues from this list.

Thanks,

Dan

Well, after some back and forth, I got a surprisingly gracious takedown request from Leica Camera AG today.

I'm not surprised. I am a touch disappointed that I have to take the site offline, but I'm happy that a lot of people were able to access it while it was live.

I won't soapbox about copyright reform here.

-- Dan

I'm not surprised.  The quality of the work and the equipment on display in these old issues raises some awkward questions about the present and future of the company.  "Move on please, ladies and gentlemen.  Nothing to see."

I will soapbox.  Libraries, and the publishers who supply these libraries, want them to be book/magazine mausoleums, not accessible to anyone but themselves.  Google Books ran into the same problem.  (Museums, such as the Smithsonian, are also mausoleums, but that is another topic.)

Well, after some back and forth, I got a surprisingly gracious takedown request from Leica Camera AG today.

I'm not surprised. I am a touch disappointed that I have to take the site offline, but I'm happy that a lot of people were able to access it while it was live.

I won't soapbox about copyright reform here.

-- Dan

Well I think that's pathetic, it's not as if they can supply back numbers themselves.

Gerry

Edited by gyoung
  • Like 1