Annotated Index of Leica Photography Magazine & Call for Old Issues

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the Leica Forum, but a longtime participant on photo.net and APUG.org.

I've been busy digitizing my large, but incomplete, collection of Leica Photography magazines from 1949 through 1981. I'm working on obtaining permission to make the PDFs of these old magazines available, but, in the meantime, here's an annotated index I've prepared of my collection.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5tXvOBB2mPrS0dfNkZaZkwwMms/view?usp=sharing

The old advertisements (for Leitz products as well as a lot of other photography ephemera) in this magazine are fantastic, as are the debates on technique, equipment, chemistry, etc. Think the fuss about Rodinal edge effects is new? There's an article from the Fall 1963 issue that discusses them.

Also, if you have old issues of Leica Photography magazine that fill in any gaps in my collection, please let me know! I'm especially eager to get my hands on Volume 7, No. 1 (Spring 1954).

All the best,

Dan

• Like 9

Congratulations.

I love the cover of the first issue :

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I'm working to make these available. I've contacted some of the people at the LHSA, and Andreas is helping me here as well.

I'm trying to obtain permission to sell them all on a single DVD. If that doesn't work, I'm trying to obtain permission to make them freely downloadable, but will accept donations to offset my significant time and capital expenses, as well as to fund the acquisition and scanning of missing issues.

I can't wait to share them.

Dan

• Like 2

I am lucky to have every issue from JC's pictured above (Aug/Sept 1949) to the present. Dan, I am happy to scan any of your missing numbers.  You probably know there is a helpful index covering all issues from 1952 to 1965. Subsequent years came with yearly indices. It would obviously be of enormous benefit to have a unified index.

Great Work!

I know what I am talking about.

Since one Year i am trying to scan my large Collection Leica Fotografie & Leica Fotografie International from 1949 to 2003 (German Issues).

At the Moment i am round about at 25% from the Collection......

I am lucky to have every issue from JC's pictured above (Aug/Sept 1949) to the present. Dan, I am happy to scan any of your missing numbers.  You probably know there is a helpful index covering all issues from 1952 to 1965. Subsequent years came with yearly indices. It would obviously be of enormous benefit to have a unified index.

M9reno, I wasn't aware of that index! I'll have to look into it. I found several errors in the tables of contents of the magazines -- sometimes, articles were named differently in the body of the magazine. Other times, articles would be omitted entirely. I'm curious as to whether those sorts of errors were caught in the other index. And thank you for the kind offer to scan some of the issues I'm missing. I'm working on a list of the specific numbers I need.

I'm also assembling a list of duplicate hard copy magazines I have. I'll make them available for trade to other collectors -- I hope I can help other people round out their collections.

Macsimal, it's a fun, long-term project! I highly recommend the Fujitsu ScanSnap SV600 for this sort of work. The software is remarkable. The project still took me a very long time, but it's far, far better than a flatbed approach.

http://www.fujitsu.com/global/products/computing/peripheral/scanners/scansnap/sv600/

Edited by dpn

I didn't know that scan. It seems quite good but the problem is the pages woulnd't get scanned perfectly flat. But this is me being really anal. When I scan something, I have to be sure is perfectly flat, oriented, and so on.

In other words is a really paranoid job. That's why it takes me forever to scan something.

M9reno, I wasn't aware of that index! I'll have to look into it. I found several errors in the tables of contents of the magazines -- sometimes, articles were named differently in the body of the magazine. Other times, articles would be omitted entirely. I'm curious as to whether those sorts of errors were caught in the other index. And thank you for the kind offer to scan some of the issues I'm missing. I'm working on a list of the specific numbers I need

Glad to help. 

Hi Dan.

Thanks for the Tip with the Fujitsu.

At the Moment i am using an Epson Flatbed Scanner. I removed the Transparency Unit. Pull out the staples from the Issue and scanning each Page with an Book with a black Back on it to make sure it´s flat. Scanning directly into Acrobat Pro with 300dpi.

Later i can export a lower Resolution Version for the iPad, etc.

It´s round about 1.5 Hours per Issue.....

Due to a full time job i got only some Time on the Weekends for Scanning.

Leica Photography Volume 7 Number 1 (Spring 1954)

Editor  John F. Brooks

Managing Editor  Kenneth Poli

Contributing Editor  Julius Huisgen

Production  Florence Zubowicz

Circulation  Ann Errico

Front Cover:  "Early Bird" Leica Photo by Emily Goode (Leica iiib, Hektor 135 mm lens, f/6 at 1/40 of a second on Daylight Kodachrome from a Dye Transfer Print) (page 1)

Front Inside Cover:  "Whatever the Weather" by Evelyn R. Zeek (Leica iiic, Summitar lens at f/4 at 1/40th, light from No. 2 photo-flood) (page 2)

Rear Inside Cover:  Advertising page for Leitz Dialux Phase Microscope pictured with Mikas attachment and Leica Screw Mount Camera) (page 31)

Rear Cover:  Advertising page for Leica 35 Summaron f/3.5 (page 32)

(Note on Table of Contents page, in black box):

New Equipment Issue….Earlier this month, at the Photokina in Cologne, Germany, the Leitz Factory introduced a number of major new items.  At the head of the list is the sensational Leica M3 camera.   Because this equipment is so newsworthy, a large part of this is issue of Leica Photography is devoted to descriptions of it.  We feel that this is the best and quickest way to get the whole interesting story to you.

Table of Contents                                                 Page  3

M3-Newest. Most Versatile Leica of All                          4

Now You Can Use Your Camera for 3-D                        8  (Stemar attachment)

Long-Focus Lens Has a Speed of f/2.5                         10  (Hektor 125 mm f/2.5)

Leica Personalities-Dexter Dawes                                 11

Now That You Mention It                                                12

How It Works:  The Leica-Meter                                     14

Salon Section                                                                  15 (Images by Robert Frank "Tree", "Procession", "Ticker Tape", "Boy"

Shoot!--By Existing Light (By Herbert Jerome Flatow)    19

The Gadget Bag                                                              22

Reduced Excise Taxes Good News for Leica Users       24 (New Reduced Prices Effective April 1, 1954)

Tiny Leica-Meter Model 2                                                25

Ernst Leitz, Canada                                                         26

The Leica in Public Health (By Nicholas A. Milone)         28

How Leica Solved the Problem                                       30 (by Harold Underhill, American Can Company)

I can try to get a scanned copy to you although my copy has the following handwritten note on the cover: M-3-Stereo (Stemar)-Leicameter 1954.  I hope the annotation notes can be helpful to you.  Please private message me if you would like me to scan pages to you.  I appreciate your efforts and your willingness to share them with others.  Thank you.

That is a useful, and time-consuming, project to do well. I know because I have scanned reference material for another hobby, Meccano, with delicate paperwork dating from 1908. Keeping pages square with the scanner borders is not easy.

I have several issues of Leica Photography (the US magazine 1948 - ?) and perhaps can provide scans to fill a couple of holes in your set. I have 3 of the (assumed) 4 1948 issues, and most of them through 1957. Always looking for issues to fill my gaps.

There was an earlier Leica USA magazine starting in the early 1930s through the start of WW2, so American enthusiasts may be able to contribute those scans also.

I find useful technical information in older issues about screwmount cameras (i.e. how to make double exposures). The short descriptions of new products and Christmas suggestions provide a good chronology of products that is not available in catalogues (another worthwhile scanning project for enthusiasts).

Unlike some other hobbies Leica literature is not very expensive, so it should be possible for you to acquire a complete set of the postwar Leica Photography magazine.

Here's the site, with 78 issues available for download for anyone interested in them.

I've corresponded with the current and a past president of the LHSA, and have their unofficial blessing for this project.

https://leicaphotographyarchive.wordpress.com/

These historic reference materials are freely downloadable from my archives. I'm politely asking for donations to offset my capital and time investment in this project, and will happily mail you a DVD containing all of the PDFs for a nominal charge.

Feedback, criticism, etc. cheerfully welcomed!

I've got a lot of commentary to add to the site, and I've finished assembling my list of missing materials. The LHSA folks said that they may try to help me obtain them, since I've agreed to provide all of these PDFs to them for their own digital archive.

All the best,

Dan