Noctilux price drop

Nick De Marco

• 2 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I picked up a 0.95 in great condition for £4750. Never seen one go below £5000 before so I jumped on it.

I traded in my f1 for it though (gulp) hope it was a good decision.

So far so good and luckily the 0.95 is perfectly matched to my 240 rangefinder. It's slightly out on the 246 though but I don't mind using the EVF with the Noctilux lenses.

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up a 0.95 in great condition for £4750. Never seen one go below £5000 before so I jumped on it.

I traded in my f1 for it though (gulp) hope it was a good decision.

So far so good and luckily the 0.95 is perfectly matched to my 240 rangefinder. It's slightly out on the 246 though but I don't mind using the EVF with the Noctilux lenses.

I sold the 0.95 and bought one more f1 v4.

To my taste, the f1 offers more than what the 0.95 did.

Apart from "not having it in my kit", haven't missed the 0.95 at all.

• Like 2

Ouch.

I think it was a good decision in the end. The characters are quite similar just slightly smoother and sharper on the 0.95. It still has a slight glow shot wide open and a very solid lens stopped down.

One of my big deciding factors to sell my f1 was that my f2 Summitar feeds my painterly, swirly bokeh craving. This is quite a beautiful lens.

The Noctilux .95 is a great lens. I thought about trading my f1 at some point in the past. Now I am glad I didn't.I think the .95 is a great lens to use as your main 50mm, the f1 is better as a more pictorial specialty lens. I used mine in combination with a lux aspherical, now a 50Apo. A friend of mine bought the .95 a year after selling all of his Leica gear including his f1 for health reasons and he always regretted selling the f1. There is a good chance you will miss the f1, but you can always get another one.

The Noctilux .95 is a great lens. I thought about trading my f1 at some point in the past. Now I am glad I didn't.I think the .95 is a great lens to use as your main 50mm, the f1 is better as a more pictorial specialty lens. I used mine in combination with a lux aspherical, now a 50Apo. A friend of mine bought the .95 a year after selling all of his Leica gear including his f1 for health reasons and he always regretted selling the f1. There is a good chance you will miss the f1, but you can always get another one.

That was my main fear. The f1 was a bit of a one trick pony but did that trick very well.

I sold my 50 Summilux ASPH when I got my 50 APO Summicron. This Noctilux seems to give me a bit of my 50 lux back along with a bit of my f1. Then the Summitar gives me the extreme.

In the end it would be best to have one of each lens but unfortunately that's not on the cards [emoji6]

I've often wondered if I should sell my 50 Summilux ASPH, and just keep the Noctilux 0.95 and the Summitar for those reasons. But, then the Summilux is my only silver chrome lens, and I love it's size and feel, and the images are wonderful ...

You can get the Nocti 0.95 in silver chrom now, same weight as the black version too

That was my main fear. The f1 was a bit of a one trick pony but did that trick very well.

I sold my 50 Summilux ASPH when I got my 50 APO Summicron. This Noctilux seems to give me a bit of my 50 lux back along with a bit of my f1. Then the Summitar gives me the extreme.

In the end it would be best to have one of each lens but unfortunately that's not on the cards [emoji6]

Do you regret selling the 50 lux? I just bought a 50 Apo and I am thinking about selling mine.

Do you regret selling the 50 lux? I just bought a 50 Apo and I am thinking about selling mine.

I didn't miss it at all.

I had a 50 Summicron v5 which I sold when I got my 50 Lux ASPH chasing the extra speed.

In the end I never quite bonded with the Lux and missed the Summicron like mad so I managed to pick another one up at the same price I sold mine. Lucky.

When I got my 50 APO Summicron I kinda knew it was right for me but I kept hold of my Lux for about a year to make sure [emoji6]

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

bad advice 

that's like remembering only the good things from a relationship that was fundamentally bad

one sells a lens because one doesn't like or use it enough. the faded pink memories seldom paint a true picture

Not bad advice at all. If you read the posts made by those who sold their Noctis, all seem to come to regret it.

The 0.95 currently sells for USD7000 used (just checked eBay).

Considering you can buy a brand new one from a Leica store for $8775, that's marginal depreciation.

Not sure where you found it for $8775, but Leica Miami has it at $10,895 and B&H has it at $10,695.

• Like 1