Alternatives to LTM 50/2 Summitar

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1934 Carl Zeiss Jena 5cm F2, wide-open. Custom converted to Leica mount.

Lighting- sitting under the red canopy of the miniature train car at the local park. 

19258154508_2c4fd2d6dc_o.jpgL1010911 by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

18825095913_a8a4f5a953_o.jpgL1010981 by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

The optics on this one are near perfect, as hard to find an undamaged F2 Sonnar as it is a clean Summar.

Summar, Wide-Open:

19259632909_d654ff0856_o.jpgL1010969 by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

I took the Sonnar and Summar out for a little comparison shooting. Both unique signatures, but the Sonnar is sharper and has higher contrast. Hard to find in Leica mount, I converted this one using an early Jupiter-8 mount. The Sonnar is small, no need to collapse it.

Edited by fiftyonepointsix
  • Like 2

I have ended up buying a 50/1.5 Summarit from a forum member. Hopefully, if USPS do their stuff, it should be with me tomorrow in Duck, NC. I don't have a LTM to LM ring with me to try it out on my M240, so it will have to wait until I get back to France. BTW does anyone know if this lens requires a type 1 ring with the cut out, to clear the infinity lock? I think I only have type 2 rings in 50/75 frame line tab, with no cut out. 

Wilson

Wilson, you do not need a cut out ring there is enough room to u lock the infinity bolt

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Summicron 50mm f2 COLLAPS or Summarit 50mm f1.5 are good alternatives.

Here is a sample picture taken by Summarit 50mm f1.5 @f1.5 using Sony A7 and M-E close-up adapter which was at about 0.5M distance.

The bokeh from this lens seems interesting.

Edited by f3p5
  • Like 1

After a lot of searching, I found that Fotopia in Hong Kong still sell the 41mm silver metal lens hoods required for Summarits. They say they have a few left (I have ordered one) but probably when they are gone that will be it. Hopefully this may be of interest to other Summarit users. 

Wilson

After a lot of searching, I found that Fotopia in Hong Kong still sell the 41mm silver metal lens hoods required for Summarits. They say they have a few left (I have ordered one) but probably when they are gone that will be it. Hopefully this may be of interest to other Summarit users. 

Wilson

Watch out the generic lens hood which may cause vignetting to your Summarit.   The original black XOONS lens hood, A43 clamp type, for this Summarit was made of solid heavy metal is still the best, IMO. 

Edited by f3p5

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Watch out the generic lens hood which may cause vignetting to your Summarit.   The original black XOONS lens hood, A43 clamp type, for this Summarit was made of solid heavy metal is still the best, IMO. 

It is quite flared, so it should be fine. 

Wilson

Ebay search for "Tiffen #611"... Series VI filter adapter for the Summarit and Xenon. I use a vented Series VI hood and filter set for mine.

The Summarit is "different", I have taken 5 apart: all were marked "51.1" internally. They were all optimzied for F2.8 close-up and F1.5 at infinity. I believe the slightly shorter focal length was to deal with focus shift. I ended up changing the spacing between front/rear groups on one of them to bring it closer to 51.6.