Im totally into film!

pwrdesign

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My journey started when after 10 years of DSLR's started to dream about an Leica M9, it was too expensive for me at that time, so I bought an Fuji X-Pro1 and hoped that it would make me happy... It didnt... So I managed to trade it against an M8! And I was in love.
After 6 months I upgraded to a M-P + a Summicron 35 Ver2, which I used for 3 months. Best camera I've ever owned, and my shots suddenly started to be better and better...only because I started to shoot a lot more than before. Suddenly something happened, bought a Minilux (not sure why), loaded it with film, and started to shoot, and develop myself. Suddenly I didn't use the M-P at all, and I started to look at M film bodys... Suddenly I had an M2 in my home, and the M-P was used even less... 

Yesterday I shipped my M-P and ordered an M6 + 35/1.4 Asph FLE, and I feel totally happy! 
Developing 3-4 rolls a week, using Radonal, scanning with my Plustek. 

Now Im starting to look at enlargement equipment....... Where will this end? :D

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 9

familar story...

very happy for you that you found happiness...

but i think the 35mm lux fle is overkill for your film Ms....

i own one also and no doubt it is great but I bought mine when I was using the M9; if I was buying into a 35mm for solely film use I would look to a pre-asph 35mm lux or the modern 35 cron; this would be most cost-beneficial for me...

I personally don't get the extra premium out of my 35mm fle film photos to justify the significant extra cost... just my opinion.

• Like 4

Guest Her Berger

Funny, I traded my M8 for a X pro 1.
For colour digishots its OK.
For private-use I mostly shoot analogue.
My MP, my IIIf and IIf and several other film cameras.

I agree wih  A miller. The FLE lux is overkill for your M6.
Try out old glasses, you will love it.

Enlargement equipment… hm, needs space and lots of time.
I love it finding out filmmatching development and scan the negatives later.
For high-end printings, I know some good services.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi , good idea ,you're right , welcome to film's club :)

You forget to tell that DSLR is "heavier" comparing with M camera.

You will find great pleasure to shoot , taking time to frame or to compose your picture,

no inflation in triggers... and picture are prettier (in "general rendering" specially in faithful

color) , not synthetic images by photo software

Don't forget to post and share with us in this thread opened for you

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/205842-i-like-filmopen-thread/page-250

Thanks in advance :)

Long live film and film is not dead !

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 1

Yes it might be overkill, but I'm looking at it as a lens that will follow me to the grave, and it will always be a dreamlens for me, now I got a good deal on it, so I took it!

It's not "overkill". The current 35 Summilux works beautifully with a film body and, apart from the obvious benefit of F1.4 when photographing indoors, it has a fairly distinct look compared with other fine 35mm M lenses.

• Like 4

Film isn't dead!

I keep dreaming about selling all my current gear and buying the best Rolleiflex I can find. But then apart from liking photography in general I do like using the different cameras I own - far too many if I'm honest.

I'm also actually enjoying shooting digital for the first time since finding a couple of cameras/lenses that work for me, and as I do some paid work from time to time it's really a necessity.

I've also considered going back to wet printing.........just wish I had more free time!

• Like 1

the next step is development of your negative by yourself ... and enlarge and develop your pictures also by yourself

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/205842-i-like-filmopen-thread/?p=2830703

Enjoy film in doing by yourself  not in front of your computer or inkjet printer !

cheaper , no scratchs and with great pleasure  :)

Forget to tell you M2 and 50- f: 0.95 Canon lens are great !

...   but if you can take a 35 or 28mm !

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry

Yes it might be overkill, but I'm looking at it as a lens that will follow me to the grave, and it will always be a dreamlens for me, now I got a good deal on it, so I took it!

My only point that it doesn't seem cost-beneficial to me given the few thousand extra bucks incremental.  But if it your dream lens then by all means experience it!

• Like 1

Film isn't dead!

Film is so far away from dead these days that I cringe when I see that phrase now. It was sort of 'last ditch' defensive when people started using it, but nowadays when film cameras are everywhere it feels frankly anachronistic.

• Like 2

Yes at least in stockholm there is a revival of film in the photo-stores! So fun to see!
I'm developing my rolls at home with Radonal, and scanning them with a OpticFilm 7600i which I bought for 100 Eur!
For me, i dont know anything that's bad with switching to film actually.

Its a bit more hassle when I shoot products for a webpage I'm designing for example, but it just takes a few more hours... thats it...

• Like 1

Film is so far away from dead these days that I cringe when I see that phrase now. It was sort of 'last ditch' defensive when people started using it, but nowadays when film cameras are everywhere it feels frankly anachronistic.

It was said (written) with irony.

• Like 1

It was said (written) with irony.

No need to pull the classic internet 'get a sense of humor'-thing James - we're on the same side here.

I just hate seeing that phrase these days, whether used 'ironically' or not (people are still selling the tee-shirt and hash-tagging their images). 

Stort grattis Patrik, välkommen i filmklubben!

The Summilux 35 FLE will work beautifully on film. While 35mm isn't a favourite focal length of mine, the lens as such is nothing short of stellar. As Ian says, f1.4 will make a real difference when shooting film and this is the reason I bought mine. Some may be lucky to be able to own smaller Summicrons for daytime use, and pricy Summiluxes for evening/indoors use, but if one gets only one lens in 35mm as a film shooter this is the one to get imo. I would say the previous Asph Summilux should perform equally well and might be found for a bit less but if you got a good deal on the FLE, then you should be very happy indeed. The previous, previous version (Aspherical) is a rare collectors' piece sold for ridiculous sums that is, technically, not as strong as the later models. The even earlier ones are, to quote our dearly missed Swedish forum member Mr Bergqvist, dogs in many situations wide open. Then again some like that look. I should say that I happily shoot decades-old lenses too, but wouldn't use them for my main lens.

Again, welcome Patrik. I'll take this opportunity to put in a plug for the slightly randomly occurring photo meet ups I'm organising in Stockholm. I am working to have the next (the third) one in late summer or early autumn. I take the liberty to add you to the list :)

but i think the 35mm lux fle is overkill for your film Ms....
i own one also and no doubt it is great but I bought mine when I was using the M9; if I was buying into a 35mm for solely film use I would look to a pre-asph 35mm lux or the modern 35 cron; this would be most cost-beneficial for me...
I personally don't get the extra premium out of my 35mm fle film photos to justify the significant extra cost... just my opinion.

Forgive me Adam, but I just have to ask. Aren't (or weren't) you also using the 28 Summicron? That would surely also count as an expensive lens with a poor cost-benefit ratio on film? True, the new price of the FLE and the 28/2 differs by about 800€ to the 28's advantage but on the used market these days the relative difference is smaller. I'm just curious about your view on the 35 FLE.

Br
Philip

Stort grattis Patrik, välkommen i filmklubben!

The Summilux 35 FLE will work beautifully on film. While 35mm isn't a favourite focal length of mine, the lens as such is nothing short of stellar. As Ian says, f1.4 will make a real difference when shooting film and this is the reason I bought mine. Some may be lucky to be able to own smaller Summicrons for daytime use, and pricy Summiluxes for evening/indoors use, but if one gets only one lens in 35mm as a film shooter this is the one to get imo. I would say the previous Asph Summilux should perform equally well and might be found for a bit less but if you got a good deal on the FLE, then you should be very happy indeed. The previous, previous version (Aspherical) is a rare collectors' piece sold for ridiculous sums that is, technically, not as strong as the later models. The even earlier ones are, to quote our dearly missed Swedish forum member Mr Bergqvist, dogs in many situations wide open. Then again some like that look. I should say that I happily shoot decades-old lenses too, but wouldn't use them for my main lens.

Again, welcome Patrik. I'll take this opportunity to put in a plug for the slightly randomly occurring photo meet ups I'm organising in Stockholm. I am working to have the next (the third) one in late summer or early autumn. I take the liberty to add you to the list :)

Forgive me Adam, but I just have to ask. Aren't (or weren't) you also using the 28 Summicron? That would surely also count as an expensive lens with a poor cost-benefit ratio on film? True, the new price of the FLE and the 28/2 differs by about 800€ to the 28's advantage but on the used market these days the relative difference is smaller. I'm just curious about your view on the 35 FLE.

Br

Philip

I bought the 35 fle for use with the M9.  Even though I have sold all my digital I still have it b/c I can't part with it given what I'd get for it in the used market.  Don't get me wrong - it is an AMAZING lens and a real work of art.  But I just haven't gotten that sublime sharpness and micro contrast upside with my film as I have with the digital.

I toyed with getting a 28mm cron but in the end I couldn't find one that didn't have a focus shift problem.  So instead I have gone old school and am using the 4th version of the pre-ash elmarit, which is in great condition and cost me about $1000.   I am very happy with this for my film shooting from a cost-benefit perspective.  

• Like 2

Do NOT take the Canon 0.95!!! It's a terrible lens! I already have the 1.2 and it's soft, prone to flare etc...plus the coating of the second group tend to contaminate the first element after the diaphragm! The 0.95 is NOT a Noctilux, at that time you could only have a fast lens or a sharp lens, not both!

Do NOT take the Canon 0.95!!! It's a terrible lens! I already have the 1.2 and it's soft, prone to flare etc...plus the coating of the second group tend to contaminate the first element after the diaphragm! The 0.95 is NOT a Noctilux, at that time you could only have a fast lens or a sharp lens, not both!

The 1.2 is not like the 0.95. The Noctilux 0.95 has great contrast, but lousy OOF.

Oh, and it is ten times the cost of the Canon 0.95.

Sometimes older is good.

(That is F. Gregory Stafford, the author of Glorantha, founder of Chaosium.)

Edited by pico

Now Im starting to look at enlargement equipment....... Where will this end?

It can end very happily with a Leitz Valoy. Perfect alignment, great condenser. Sturdy.

If you are lucky you might find one with the extra long column and large baseboard

and ventilated cooling bonnet so that you can use a 250W bulb for greater enlargements,

I have had one for over thirty years. It never fails. Just don't use the Focotar lenses.

Edited by pico