Help needed importing into LR

Advertisement (gone after registration)

First,I have just posted this question in the wrong section,I have put it the Deutsches forum by mistake.

I have just bought a MM Mk1 and am having trouble loading my images into LR5. When I load from my M9 I plug the card into my Mac and press import. The images come up in the Library as thumbnail images so that I can sort them into different folders if needed.

When I do the same with the the card from my MM Mk1 the thumbnails just show as DNG.They do not become pictures until they are imported into folders.This means I have to load them all into one folder before I can see them. I have tried swapping cards between cameras,but it makes no difference. I shoot all DNG.

Can any member help with this.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mike.

Hmmm, greater minds than mine will pipe up soon enough, but my first thought was, do you have the latest update for the LR you have? (I realise there is now LR6, and that you are using LR5).

Just a thought.

Gary

I realize this doesn't directly answer your question, but my recommendation would be to copy your images into your desired folder(s) before you import them into LR.  Generally speaking, the OS is a more robust mechanism for conducting file/folder operations (such as copy/move) than is LR.

Plug in the card and then use Finder to copy those files and place them where you want in your filesystem.   Then, import them into LR from that location on your hard drive, not from the SD card.

Finder will render thumbnail images of your DNG's, if your'e wanting to sort them into multiple folders.

Edited by Jager

Have you checked all your import preferences?

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/help/file-import-formats-settings.html

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/help/photo-video-import-options.html

Note especially things like 'specify initial previews' and 'ignore camera generated folders'.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thank all of you for trying to help with my import problem. It seems that the root cause lies with Mountain Lion OS.  I may upgrade to yosemite as it seems that it will handle DNG from the MM. Not sure about the

246,but it is the MM that I have just bought.

I am thinking of going up to LR6. I will probable spend the money and buy the software and install it alongside LR5 instead of upgrading. The reason for this is that I have been using LR since I started Digital and my Library is a disorganised mess. I did not fully understand how LR was organised when I started out and  have made life very difficult for myself.  I feel I would like to start over again and make a much better job of my file organisation.  I will keep LR 5 running so that I can get to my existing images when needed. All new work will go into LR6.There are probably ways that I could clear LR5 and re import,but I am not very clever at that sort of thing and would probably finish up with no images at all!!!.

Thanks again for help. there are some very knowledgable and helpful members on the Forum.

Mike.

I do not use LR because of library system.  The longer you wait to fix the mess,  the worse it is.

My suggestion is to file by year month, day, event reminder.    

Have a master folder for 2015, folder example 2015-06-07  vacation.  Use sub folders for original files, photoshop files, finished work.   Make a master 2015-13-01 with all subfolders.   Yes no such date but it will always be there to be found.   Make a dup and use the dup to  title /date  so everything stays in order.   do not alter the format AT ALL down to every space.  Keep duplicating the original so you need not redo it.  

If there is a mixture on the card, import to a sorting file, then to final as above using the computer OS, not LR

Only now import to LR by COPY, do not move.  Export to finished work folder  I put the size in the title  xxxx 4x6".jpeg.

NEVER move photos from inside LR or you will never find them.

Start today with all new work and then slowly clean up previous work.

Yosemite does not have a photo folder and will not all one. I think they want to force you to use iPhoto.    Make master photo folder under documents,  photos,  2014, 2015, 2016,      This makes your back up work easy.

Thanks for that Bill. It worked.I am very pleased as I was thinking about going to Yosemite. I hate upgrades,better the Devil you know.

I am about to upgrade to LR 6 and am dreading it. I have been given a good Tutorial link from the Adobe Forum. I think it will be of great help to me. I am OK taking pictures and editing,but the workings of it all are White Man's Magic to me. By the way you live in a lovely part of the country. Plenty of photo opportunity I would think.

Thanks to all members for input.

Mike.

• Like 1