Ezio Monitor or Mac Monitor for Printing

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

For printing purposes, would it be better to have a Ezio monitor with all the color calibration bells and whistles or can you get similar printing results using a 2014 mac monitor ..................and for all the smart Alex's out there yes we have a printer on the way (Epson P807) to do the actual printing :)

I assume you are talking about an Eizo Color Guard / Color Edge monitor.  These Eizo monitors are far superior to Apple monitors for critical color work.  My problem with Eizo is that you are hard pressed to find one to look at except in the major markets in the US.

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I assume you are talking about an Eizo Color Guard / Color Edge monitor.  These Eizo monitors are far superior to Apple monitors for critical color work.  My problem with Eizo is that you are hard pressed to find one to look at except in the major markets in the US.

We can get them in Malaysia...............but not sure if I need one

A top line calibrated monitor is the heart of a disciplined print workflow….even before getting a great printer IMO.  I recommend either an Eizo or NEC (with built in SpectraView calibration software)….the latter is less expensive.   Any good monitor can work, but the devil is in the details, if one cares about subtle differences.  None of it matters if technique and the rest of the workflow aren't similarly aligned…no different than thinking a top line camera will produce better photos or prints.

BTW, it's the SureColor P800, not P807.

Jeff

Unless you are doing very precise colour work and /or are willing to spend much time calibrating monitor,printer and paper you don't(need one).  You can (I do) get great results from i-mac. My two-penneth.

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

A top line calibrated monitor is the heart of a disciplined print workflow….even before getting a great printer IMO.  I recommend either an Eizo or NEC (with built in SpectraView calibration software)….the latter is less expensive.   Any good monitor can work, but the devil is in the details, if one cares about subtle differences.  None of it matters if technique and the rest of the workflow aren't similarly aligned…no different than thinking a top line camera will produce better photos or prints.

BTW, it's the SureColor P800, not P807.

Jeff

Jeff in Asia it has a designation of SureColor P807 not P800.......That's what the Epson rep told me in KL

• Like 1

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Unless you are doing very precise colour work and /or are willing to spend much time calibrating monitor,printer and paper you don't(need one).  You can (I do) get great results from i-mac. My two-penneth.

According to my mate who has the Ezio Monitor it self calibrates on a weekly basis

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

If you're not wedded to Apple, look at Dell as cheaper but fully calibratable alternatives to Eizo and NEC.

I bought a Dell u2713h, based on reviews and detailed info on www.tftcentral.co.uk. Performs well for me.

Paul unfortunately I am a Apple disciple............I live eat sleep Apple and cant imagine life without it...................I know a sad bast%rd :) :)  

• Like 1

It's not just about the monitor, it's about a fully calibrated workflow, including paper profiles, etc….the old chain and its weakest link.  A good understanding of color management helps.  And that relates to shades of grey as well as color.

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/color-management-printing.htm

As I've written elsewhere, printing is not plug and play.  Learning to make a decent print is not terribly difficult, but making exceptional prints, consistently, requires a good understanding of technique, and an even better eye and judgment.  There are more good photographers around than good printers (people, not machines)….and often no overlap between the two.

Jeff

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I've put together 22 Leica prints (Mainly B&W) that I have taken over the past 3 years, and basically waiting for the Epson printer to arrive and for Leica Germany to give me the thumbs up so that I can exhibit my pictures at my mates Leica Store in Kuala Lumpur, so I want to make sure I get it right...........................

Yes I can get them printed at a fantastic print shop in KL that does all my website stuff but I want the satisfaction of doing it all by myself if you know what I mean :)

Meantime I am watching videos and surfing the net on how to print.....................

Meantime I am watching videos and surfing the net on how to print.....................

Again, as I've said elsewhere, there is no substitute for seeing prints…good and bad…in person.  And even better if you can study with someone who knows the difference.  The technique isn't the hard part…although it certainly is required…it's recognizing when and where to use that techniques…and why.  You can't judge prints by looking at online tutorials….one must look at prints to appreciate the nuances.

Getting prints right for an exhibit not only requires all of the above, but further requires an understanding of the actual display lighting conditions (that can change the look and feel of a print dramatically) as well as the frame, mat and glass (each of which again affects the print appearance).  I can make a print that sings, but then put it under a certain glass, and/or different lighting, and the life is gone.

Jeff

Neil, you appreciate precision cameras and lenses. Why economise on monitor calibration which helps you portray your pictures in the most accurate way? I have used Eizo monitors for years and see no reason to change. I set my recalibration for every 200 hours (choose your own desired frequency) which requires very little intervention on my part and takes very few minutes.

• Like 1

Jeff in Asia it has a designation of SureColor P807 not P800.......That's what the Epson rep told me in KL

I have the same printer on order . The original delivery was mid June but Calumet told me last week that it's likely to be July / August.

They did not confirm 2015.

BrianP  :wacko:

You cannot properly colour calibrate a Mac monitor, not will it demonstrate the same tonal subtleties.

Get an Ezio, or NEC Multisync/Colorsync as a very good and slightly cheaper alternative)

Indeed, and note that this is not just about colour rendition Especially the correct rendition of grayscale tones asks for a high-end well-calibrated monitor.

Another aspect is the consistency across the screen. In "lesser" screens there will be a different rendering/brightness/contrast on different sections of the screen. If the centre is calibrated, the corners will not be.

• Like 1

Indeed, and note that this is not just about colour rendition Especially the correct rendition of grayscale tones asks for a high-end well-calibrated monitor.

Another aspect is the consistency across the screen. In "lesser" screens there will be a different rendering/brightness/contrast on different sections of the screen. If the centre is calibrated, the corners will not be.

Thanks Jaap, exactly my point regarding "tonal subtleties" but I didn't properly expand on what I meant.

Edited by MarkP

While an Eizo monitor is desirable and should be on a wish list, any other good cheaper calibrated monitor can be used if you have a consistent workflow. I think people forget that you couldn't see the effects of all your dodging and burning or your latest colour adjustments in a darkroom, you had a blank sheet of paper until it was developed into the print. So seeing in exactitude the precise image on a monitor down to the very last nuance is a modern necessity that has superseded knowledge and experience, both of which can still be learned and understood for free. And as artistic photography is as much about opinion and judgement as anything else there is little point in turning it into a science. As long as your workflow allows a consistent output then the perfection possible from an Eizo monitor is a waste of time if you still don't agree with it or still wish to judge the image as it is affected by the paper stock. 

Steve

Edited by 250swb
  • Like 4