Where is the "prescribed threads" gone

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In the old forum it was really easy to quickly follow up on prescribed threads.

With the new notification system I get bombarded with every single tiny update to one of those hot threads should I make the mistake and prescribe to them, pushing any lesser active thread off the list and making wading through the list a work I rather leave alone.

Do I miss something?

So this is not something bothering anyone else?

Did I overlook a forum feature since the software upgrade?

Is there really no classic "subscribed threads" function any longer - just the new notification function which is easily bloated when accidentally subscribing to a hot thread?

Hey Philipp, my issue is that in the past (and on any other forum I use) there is one single page in the control center one can open.

On this page is listed all subscribed threads, starting with threads with latest activity up top.

No one single thread is listed multiple times, just once.

When you open this thread you can click a link "show first unread comment" and it will take you exactly to the first unread comment from which you can follow up through this one single thread.

This is extremely efficient and vey easy to follow up to.

I cannot find this page anymore since the forum update - did I overlook this page?

The notification center is essentially useless to me when checking only once in a while, as it will be completely overrun by the many updates on every single activitiy in subscribed threads. I do not like to use that notification center but would like to just revert back to using the old, perfectly working "subscribed thread" page.

Is this possible?

Ah - in this case I recommend using the "New Content" function this forum offers.

Close to the top of the screen on the right hand side, click on "View new content":

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

On the screen which follows next select the combination of "filters" which most closely cover your wishes:

You don't "subscribe" to threads anymore. With the new software you "follow".

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thank you Philipp and David for your help.

After checking every setting available again now, it is apparent that with the new forum software there is no current solution to this issue.

Should I have not be clear about the actual issue I have, this screen shot shows my problem with the new notification/subscription very clear:

Screen%20Shot%202015-06-08%20at%2010.06.

With the old forum software we had a very simple and foolproof list of subscribed threads - most recently changed threads at the top, older, less frequently changed threads would fall down to the bottom of the list.

No matter how many changes to a given thread have been made since the last time you visited, the thread in question would always only ONCE show up in the subscribed list.

The current implementation is unfortunately not adequate here.

With the current notification center one has to look through EVERY single listing in the notification list.

If hot threads are within your "followed" threads your notification list quickly would be spammed by endless lists of all those different actions that have been happened during your absence.

The actual content you would like to follow is buried under this load.

I would like to move forward and ask for a feature addition to bring back the classic subscription list in order to provide a concise and proven method for people who would like to keep following specific threads without having to wade through mountains of unneeded notifications.

I hope such a feature request can be added to the (likely already heavy) list of the good LUF admins and mods and in time be implemented.

Please, I would like this feature request be brought forward, as I simply cannot imagine that I am the only one user who finds issues with this notification list implementation and finds the stream of unwanted notifications overwhelming.

sorry if i've misunderstood the problem, but i think that the listing of subscribed threads in the new forum software which dirk is looking for is in the top right corner of the screen.   click on your user name, then look under CONTENT - FOLLOW.    clicking on the date brings me to the latest entry.

i agree that my old list of subscribed threads (which was admittedly long and dusty) seems to be gone, but the new list under CONTENT FOLLOW works pretty well for me.   notifications seem to be just a daily reminder of what has happened in various threads - based on my preferences.

did i help?

greetings from hamburg

rick

Edited by rickp13
  • Like 1

this screen shot shows my problem with the new notification/subscription very clear:

Please have a look at my post #6 above again.

The suggestion is not to use the "Notification Center" but the "View New Content" link (just underneath the search box). When you select the items on the left hand side as I have done, the forum will present to you a list of all threads which you "follow" and which contain posts you have not yet read. Clicking on the bland or hairy bullet in front of the line will take you to the first unread post within the thread.

The hairy bullet (or asterisk) denotes a thread in which you have posted.

I find this function quite comparable to the one we used to have in the former forum. As you find the "Notification Center" not useful for your purposes, just ignore it or empty the list from time to time.

Thanks again guys ;-)

Rick, your tip seems to be exactly the medicine I was looking for!

It shows indeed a list very similar to the old subscribed thread list and I will see if I can use it the same way I am used to with the old one.

Philipp, the New Content function is not working for me unfortunately - there is just too much noise to filter through when simply just looking for the very few threads.

The Followed content list, described by Rick above seems just right ;-)

• Like 1

I'm glad that you've found a solution which works for you.

To be quite clear, the solution I outlined above in #6 does the same, provided you mark "Just items I follow" in the box on the left hand side of the screen. The items which are shown as white text on a red background are the selected ones. I mention this for the sake of other members whose needs may be similar.

• Like 1