GPS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I can't get GPS to work.

I’ve had my Leica T and visoflex for a month or so and I’ve used it at a number of different locations in Southern England. The camera is set to record GPS data but I have yet to see any when I process the photos in Lightroom 6. All the location boxes remain unpopulated and nothing appears on the map.

As a test, I recently took some photos on a local hill with a large sky - distant horizons visible in all directions. No buidings, no obtrusive trees, no power lines. No GPS either, apparently, though satnav systems do work in the vicinity. The little exclamation mark on the satellite symbol disappeared after a few minutes which I took to mean that a GPS signal was being received. If it was, the camera doesn’t seem to have recorded it as it didn’t show up in Lightroom.

I’ve tried resetting the camera and refitting the visoflex, all to no avail.

Has anyone else had this problem? Did you find a solution? Any advice would be most gratefully received.

I haven't really had a great deal of success with mine either, but to be fair have put this down to me using the camera very briefly, and then turning it off again, to save battery. Whether this is detrimental to the GPS working or not I don't know.

And again, not sure if it has any bearing on the matter, but what Firmware version are you running?

Gary

Thanks for responding, Gary.

I also wondered whether going on and off might disrupt the GPS connection so I set the auto off to 20 minutes (the longest possible) and made sure that the camera stayed on during my test. 

I’m running firmware version 1.310 which is the latest, I believe.

Hi Euston.

and after posting I checked a few of my more recent snaps (in LR). The last few had position reporting, and I am reasonably sure that I would have turned the camera off and on in between shots.

Zooming right in though, it's not 100% accurate, but close enough.

I'll be more mindful next time, ensure it's on, and check that all is working OK, and report back.

Makes me wonder though, it "could" be a handy feature when we travel in a couple of months time, to Europe. Make editing the files at a later date simpler. Hmmmmmmmmmmm..........

Gary

• Like 1

I've kind of observed a slow position acquisition as well. Based on my experience with GPS. I think that they are using the GPS as if it is stateless. If so there are some things that Leica could do to improve it.

1) download the keplarian data for the satellites over wifi so that the GPS doesn't need to listen to the satellites and get a full download of the orbital data before it can acquire the satellites. They may already cache this in the GPS chip but it doesn't seem like it. Having an up to date almanac is one of the easiest ways to speed acquisition.

2) or if they don't want to download the almanac over wifi, at least cache it in the camera and then upload it the GPS when it detects the EVF.

3) cache the last known position in the camera and upload that to the GPS when it is turned on especially when it has only been a few minutes since the last shot and the camera has just been asleep

4) infer the position of the current shot based upon the last position and the speed and the time delta. For example if you were walking at 2.5mph and it has been 3 min since the last position and the camera went to sleep then the uncertainty In your position is probably low enough that you really don't care about 700'. You just make a guess based upon the last known speed and direction. You can get very sophisticated with these inference algorithms and do things like update position of previously inferred data based upon new information.

5) have a mode that keeps the GPS on rather than sleeping it.

Other ideas:

1) set camera time with the GPS 

2) download the time zone data over wifi and then set photo pictures with either GMT or local time.

I would so love to start hacking on the T's firmware to fix a couple bugs and add some features like this.

I found a couple more ways to crash the T over the weekend...

• Like 2