Leica T with Olympus Zuiko 500mm Mirror Lens

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Recently acquired a s/h Olympus Zuiko 500mm f8 mirror lens which today received back from UK official Olympus service agency after they remedied the 'stiff focus'.

I'd been looking for a Zuiko 500mm for weeks but they are very scarce - so had to settle for a less than pristine example. Then after sending the lens away for service my dealer listed two more! I should have waited but at the time there seemed little likelihood of any others being available in the UK. 

This afternoon tried the lens on my 'T' using 2 tripods … both have ball and socket heads but second tripod has a Berlebach binocular support fitted which can be tilted to offer additional support under the lens. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Picture of camera and supports taken with Leica X Vario 

Lighting conditions in my garden were 'dull' / cloudy. The estate agent's 'sold' sign on a house in an adjacent street is 82 metres distant - distance measured with Leica Laser Rangefinder. 

Leica T, Novoflex OM to 'T' adaptor, Olympus Zuiko 500/8 mirror lens; 1/100sec, ISO 200 using 2 seconds self timer … camera IS 'off'. 

The lens seems to have some potential but need to use it in better light and compare result using e.g. 560mm Telyt … which will try asap. Also want it try the 500mm lens with a Zuiko OM 2x converter - seeking same. 

Hoping for some reasonable results with the 'T' from the 560mm Telyt i.e. better than on FF format.

Best wishes

dunk

• Like 2

Forgot to mention that the equivalent focal length with the T's 1.5 crop factor is 750mm. Also took some photos of a bird on a TV aerial but the shutter speed was too slow to freeze the bird's head/neck movements. I wanted to keep the ISO at 200 to optimise IQ. 

dunk

Edited by dkCambridgeshire

Looks good Dunk, even the brick wall test.

Quick peek at KEH showed a 2x, not sure if it is the correct one for the 500 mirror though.

Can you use an adaptor that has the tripod attachment within the adaptor itself, rather than having to use two tripods. It must be a nightmare tou co-ordinate two separate tripods?

There is an Olympus 500mm mirror in a local dealers here, "mouldy, but in excellent mechanical" condition. Might try it.

You used an OM - T fitting, or some other way? I currently use an EOS to M, and then the M - T fitting.

Gary

Hi Gary, The experiment today was 'Q&D' and did not use my 'temporarily mislaid' Novoflex GAKO fork support … which I think will be usable with a Manfrotto 359 long lens support which will clamp onto the main tripod … and should be less cumbersome than using two tripods.

The adaptor is a Novoflex Olympus OM to Leica T … Novoflex list several Leica T adaptors. Originally I bought a Fotodiox OM to Leica M adaptor for use with an Olympus 35mm shift lens on the 'T' via the Leica M to T adaptor … but the Fotodiox OM/M adaptor was approx 10º out of vertical alignment thus the shift lens' axes were misaligned. The Novoflex adaptor's alignment is spot-on so will be usable with the OM shift lens. There are some adaptors available with tripod mounts but they may not have/provide accurate alignment with the image plane X and Y axes for use with a shift lens.  

I have seen two Zuiko OM 2x converters listed by a dealer but they're expensive so hoping to pick one up via Ebay. I do not mind paying the dealer price provided the adaptor is compatible and produces a decent image - but it's not a recommended accessory for the Zuiko 500mm … so prefer to source a cheaper offering. I'm assuming that Zuiko 2x converter is the best to use but may try a cheapo independent brand - if can ascertain which, if any, are worth using with the 500mm. 

The light today was poor so hope for better results on a brighter day. 

Best wishes

dunk

Received Olympus OM 2x extender this morning.

Adapted a Canon FD lens' tripod collar to fit the extender thus balancing at COG on the tripod. The 500mm f8 thus converted to 1000mm f16 but with 1.5x crop = 1500mm focal length.

The combination is very much more stable when supported at the COG i.e. less 'wobble' / 'shake' noticeable than when used without a collar in previous post. 

And the result on a windy day:

Leica 'T',  Olympus Zuiko OM 500mm mirror lens with Olympus 2x Teleconverter and Novoflex OM to 'T' adapter;  ISO 800 1500mm (FF equiv) f16, 1/200 sec.

The 2x Teleconverter is not recommended for use with the 500mm - it's intended for use with Zuiko 100mm, 135mm,and 200mm lenses. 

Some barrel distortion evident … but the extender works better than anticipated. No donuts visible but none expected with this type of subject.

The Zuiko OM 500mm mirror lens is quite scarce and seldom listed secondhand - thus commands a premium price. If you're looking for a decent lightweight 500mm there are TWO listed at the same Leica Premier d-d- dealer in the UK  … IYKWIM !! 

I may try the Leitz 560mm Telyt later.

Best wishes

dunk
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

And this is the view from same position in my garden with Connell's sign 82 metres distant - but taken with Leica XV at 70mm zoom setting (FF equivalent) 

Best wishes

dunk

And the result on a windy day:

attachicon.gif

Leica 'T',  Olympus Zuiko OM 500mm mirror lens with Olympus 2x Teleconverter and Novoflex OM to 'T' adapter;  ISO 800 1500mm (FF equiv) f16, 1/200 sec.

The 2x Teleconverter is not recommended for use with the 500mm - it's intended for use with Zuiko 100mm, 135mm,and 200mm lenses. 

Some barrel distortion evident … but the extender works better than anticipated. No donuts visible but none expected with this type of subject.

The Zuiko OM 500mm mirror lens is quite scarce and seldom listed secondhand - thus commands a premium price. If you're looking for a decent lightweight 500mm there are TWO listed at the same Leica Premier d-d- dealer in the UK  … IYKWIM !! 

I may try the Leitz 560mm Telyt later.

Best wishes

dunk

Contrary to previous Post No.6 there is no barrel distortion … maybe is an optical illusion i.e. the LHS of the sign looks barrelled but is in fact straight - and mortar lines in the brickwork show no distortion. Fair result for a windy day - better than that obtained without the 2x extender - probably because the camera and lens was more securely supported. If I had a Digilux 3 I could experiment with a 'Leica' camera & Zuiko 500mm lens plus extender at an equivalent 2000mm focal length. 

dunk

Dunk,

The way you are looking for different paths to use the Leica's to their full potential is very inspiring to me and a constant (steep) learning curve. Your knowledge of the Red Dot seems endless. I dive in old threads often and your name keeps popping up!

I commend you for sharing your experiences and want to thank you for it.

I am following this thread with great interest, because I recently acquired, by chance, the MR Telyt 500/f8 - R to use it with the T also.

One question: is the Canon tripod collar flexible in size?

I am asking this because I am looking for a collar for the MR Telyt, which has a with of 87 mm. on the section where I think it fits. There is no collar for this lens and I want to use the lens with the APO 2x extender and tripod (berlebach) or on a monopod when hiking in the mountains this summer. Not in the same way you are now demonstrating, on the extender, but on the lens itself. I don't want to stress the APO-extender. The tripod support of the R-M adapter is placed to far back,I think, to make it useful.

My preferred option would be a Burzynski collar, like the one I have for my APO 100 mm./ 2.8 macro. It is beautiful crafted and sturdy as can be. But I can't be sure which one will fit, perhaps the one for the Nikkor 300/f4? I have to get in touch for this information with Isarfoto in Germany I guess.

Would like to year your opinion on this, if you have one.

Much appreciated

Edited by AndrewAM

Dunk,

The way you are looking for different paths to use the Leica's to their full potential is very inspiring to me and a constant (steep) learning curve. Your knowledge of the Red Dot seems endless. I dive in old threads often and your name keeps popping up!

I commend you for sharing your experiences and want to thank you for it.

I am following this thread with great interest, because I recently acquired, by chance, the MR Telyt 500/f8 - R to use it with the T also.

One question: is the Canon tripod collar flexible in size?

I am asking this because I am looking for a collar for the MR Telyt, which has a with of 87 mm. on the section where I think it fits. There is no collar for this lens and I want to use the lens with the APO 2x extender and tripod (berlebach) or on a monopod when hiking in the mountains this summer. Not in the same way you are now demonstrating, on the extender, but on the lens itself. I don't want to stress the APO-extender. The tripod support of the R-M adapter is placed to far back,I think, to make it useful.

My preferred option would be a Burzynski collar, like the one I have for my APO 100 mm./ 2.8 macro. It is beautiful crafted and sturdy as can be. But I can't be sure which one will fit, perhaps the one for the Nikkor 300/f4? I have to get in touch for this information with Isarfoto in Germany I guess.

Would like to year your opinion on this, if you have one.

Much appreciated

Hello Andrew, The Canon tripod collar actually belongs to a Canon FD 200mm f4 macro lens and it's not 'flexible' - it's actually slightly too large diameter for both the the Novoflex OM to T adaptor and the Olympus 2x extender - so I cut some leather strips and using double sided tape reduced the internal diameter of the collar. The Canon collar only just fits the Novoflex adaptor - the hinge width has minimal clearance between it and 'T' body . I also have a Leica STA 1 collar which is approx the same internal diameter as the Canon collar; the STA 1 collar fits the Canon 200mm macro lens but is designed to fit the Leica 100mm APO Macro Elmarit R.   The Canon collar might fit other Canon lenses - there is no part No. or code stamped on the item. The two hinged halves of the Canon collar clip together and the locking knob, when turned approx 100º, takes up approx 2mm slack thus tightening the collar around the lens or in this case the adaptor or the extender. 

I tried fitting the Canon collar to my Leica 2x Apo extender R - the collar is too wide diameter  but would probably fit if an additional strip of leather was added. The leather used is thin and recycled from a damaged leather jacket. The STA 1 collar is also too wide diameter for the 2x APO Extender R but could probably be modified i.e. made smaller internal diameter by adding strips of leather secured with double sided tape. 

The Leica R to M adaptor should be fine for your intended purpose; although probably not at the centre of gravity of your intended combination its tripod bush would be in a better position than that of the T camera. I do not have the latest R to M adaptor . Voigtlander list an R to M adaptor but I'm not sure if it has a tripod bush .  SRB in UK offer custom made lens tripod collars - details available on their website. 

Best wishes

dunk

Dunk,

Thanks for the swift reaction.

I have the STA-1 collar for the APO 100, but I find that there is much more movement (not as stif) than the Burzynski collar. The R-M adapter from Leica is much stiffer for that matter, but not balanced enough, with such a light camera as the T. It also has the disadvantage that you can't turn the camera, as is possible with the Burzynski. You also need the M-T adapter and there is some movement between the two (only when turning the camera, so image quality is not affected).

I also have the R-T adapter from Novoflex, I like it a lot more, but is has no tripod connection. 

I have heard of SRB, but have no experience with them, will look in to them.

Meantime contacted Isarfoto, for a possible Burzynski solution.

There are people who shoot the Telyt handhold with beautiful results, but not for me at the moment!

I will keep you posted when I find a satisfactory solution.

Best,

Edited by AndrewAM
  • Like 1

Hi Dunk, 

That is a pretty small combo for an equivalent 1500mm!!

I have done a bit of testing with the 70-200 F4 R Leica lens on the T. 

For whatever reason it seems to give me a bit of blue fringing especially around areas of detail that might have a bit of back light. 

Eg edges of leaves

I notice on your images the white is very blue, which could easily be a white balance issue, however maybe it is the blue artefacts that I have also experienced with the camera. 

I would be interested to see if you have found the same using your massive lens. Or whether it is my lens that is out!

Cheers

Hi Dunk, 

That is a pretty small combo for an equivalent 1500mm!!

I have done a bit of testing with the 70-200 F4 R Leica lens on the T. 

For whatever reason it seems to give me a bit of blue fringing especially around areas of detail that might have a bit of back light. 

Eg edges of leaves

I notice on your images the white is very blue, which could easily be a white balance issue, however maybe it is the blue artefacts that I have also experienced with the camera. 

I would be interested to see if you have found the same using your massive lens. Or whether it is my lens that is out!

Cheers

I am colour blind but did notice the window frames have a colour cast so checked with a friend who advised they have a green-ish tinge … which could be due to my post processing … but some white window frames do age or soil to odd colours .  Maybe some of the whites do have a blue cast but if so I cannot see it. 

dunk

Further experiments with the Zuiko 500mm mirror lens showed that it will not focus at infinity with the Leica T . I tried it at two locations and was a very frustrating experience trying to get it to focus - especially as the lens has just been fully serviced to remedy the original stiff focus problem. Lens is fine up to approx 90m distance … but beyond it's hopeless 

In above image I tried to focus on the hospital's tall narrow chimney beyond the trees … but was impossible even though the focusing ring registers 'infinity' focus. There is no focus movement beyond the infinity setting.

So … what to do ???

After consulting a forum friend Mike J we decided to try the recently serviced Zuiko 500mm mirror lens on THREE cameras … i.e. my Leica T and Mike’s Sony A7 and Sony 6000 … and categoriacally proved the lens will not focus on anything past 90m with all three cameras . Previously had only tested it at up to 85m but yesterday could not focus on anything at infinity.

It’s not the adaptor or the camera or the extender which is fault … it’s the b---- lens just serviced by an official Olympus service agency !! … So it’s going back to be adjusted so it focuses past infinity. Also still has dust inside and some smears … after I paid over £140 for the service inc P&P.

Thus not happy. But results at focusable distances i.e. 85m and less are good. And the 85m limit applies with or without the 2x extender attached. Distances were measured with a Leica Laser rangefinder. 

When tried Mike's Olympus Zuiko 200mm with all three cameras and Novoflex adaptor and the 2x extender there were no problems at all … so must be poor assembly/ collimation/adjustment of the 500mm lens which is causing the poor focus. 

Looking forward to receiving the lens back when properly adjusted. 

dunk

​EDIT: Also noticed that when the 500mm is used on the Sony A7 FF camera , the image vignettes ??  Does anyone know why this might be ?  The lens would not have vignetted the image on an Olympus SLR film camera? Does the Sony A7 have any vignetting history with e.g. any Leica R lenses or M lenses?