do the current fast 35/50/75 share a similar character

cpclee

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Optically the 35/1.4 ASPH, 50/1.4 ASPH and 75/2 AA are highly related designs.  The rear half of the 50 derives from that of the pre-FLE 35 (which in turn is optically identical to the FLE absent the floating lens element mechanism), while the 75 is basically the 50 with one lens element removed plus some additional correction. So in theory, these lenses could have a lot in common in terms of how they render.

I'd like to hear what people have found from actual experience. Namely, is there a consistent look in how they render, and if i like one am I very likely to like the others as well?

I have the 75 and have tried the 50.  Both are superb and among my favorite lenses.  But I have not tried the 35 and would love to know how it compares.  I did have the 35 Summicron ASPH but wouldn't consider its rendition to be in the same mold.

Thanks. 

Edited by cpclee

Guest JonathanP

I can't answer for the 75, but I do have the 50 and had both 35's. Similar to you, I wanted that rendering in a 35 and found the 35FLE much closer to the 50 than the 35 Summicron ASPH (which I subsequently sold).

Most of my images are taken in the range f4-f8, I'm not a regular wide open photographer so the difference between f/1.4 or f/2 doesn't bother me. But I love the 35FLE stopped down, not only does it render almost like the latest 50/1.4 but its corner performance is really good. The 35FLE gets knocked a bit for its bokeh and whilst it isn't as nice as the 50, when I do occasionally use it wide open I haven't found it always to be troublesome - it can be quite nice depending on subject/background distance etc. Its not always the doom and gloom you might read in reviews ;-)

Of course everyone will have their own preference, but the 35FLE has become my most used lens partly because I think it does render in a similar way to the 50'lux.

Hope that helps,

Jonathan

Edited by jperkins
  • Like 1

I own the 50 and 75 (plus the 35 Cron Asph), and I can confirm there is a lot of similarity in the way they render.  So much that I often have to consult the EXIF info to see which one was used for a particular image.  I´m happy to have both, but in fact they are so close in both drawing and field of view that I seldom carry both at the same time.  

The 75 is a perfect partner for my 35, however, but their rendering is very different indeed (again, this is the 35 Cron Asph).  What I like about my 35 is, of course, its small size and its versatility.  Optically, it is very, very good even wide open, but it has much less character than the 50 or 75.  I also have an old 8-element Summicron 35 (V I), and there are times when I actually prefer that one; it is just beautiful.

Edited by elgenper

I have owned all 3, but recently sold the 50/1.4 due to non-use since getting the APO50. The 35/1.4 almost lives on one camera and is my go to street lens and is bitingly sharp when I want that. The 75/2 I am just starting to use more after selling my 75/1.4. The 75 /2can be bitingly sharp if focused well and that takes some experoemce in my case. Below are mostly 35/1.4 shots for you.

Louis Foubare: Fluidity and Unpredictability in Street Photography « The Leica Camera

Thank you for sharing the wonderful images. I'm surprised by the long / rich midtones.  I bet they print extremely well.

I have owned all 3, but recently sold the 50/1.4 due to non-use since getting the APO50. The 35/1.4 almost lives on one camera and is my go to street lens and is bitingly sharp when I want that. The 75/2 I am just starting to use more after selling my 75/1.4. The 75 /2can be bitingly sharp if focused well and that takes some experoemce in my case. Below are mostly 35/1.4 shots for you.

Louis Foubare: Fluidity and Unpredictability in Street Photography « The Leica Camera

• Like 1

I've also found the 35 Cron ASPH to be devoid of any pint-pointable character. It draws perfectly without adding or taking away anything which can be good in many situations. The 8 element 35 is quite worshipped in Asia (especially Japan) for its unique drawing style.   

I own the 50 and 75 (plus the 35 Cron Asph), and I can confirm there is a lot of similarity in the way they render.  So much that I often have to consult the EXIF info to see which one was used for a particular image.  I´m happy to have both, but in fact they are so close in both drawing and field of view that I seldom carry both at the same time.  

The 75 is a perfect partner for my 35, however, but their rendering is very different indeed (again, this is the 35 Cron Asph).  What I like about my 35 is, of course, its small size and its versatility.  Optically, it is very, very good even wide open, but it has much less character than the 50 or 75.  I also have an old 8-element Summicron 35 (V I), and there are times when I actually prefer that one; it is just beautiful.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I owned the 35, tried out the 50 and 75.  Personally I found them devoid of character, just blisteringly, clinically sharp.  The 35 I sold, the others I never bought.  I like the 4th-version 35 Cron, V2 50 Lux, and I'm fine with the CV 75/2.5 because it's a focal length I rarely ever feel a use for (bought it when I had an M8 because it had the FOV of a 90 on FF). 

I've seen the FLE characterized as practically perfect, with occasional nissen (double line) bokeh in the background.  What I've been able to see in actual images agrees with your description.  Most of the time the bokeh works very well but occasionally it does get rough in certain shooting conditions.

Like you I normally shoot a 35 in the f4-8 range so the occasional rough bokeh is a secondary consideration for me . What I really like about the FLE is its uniformly high resolution across the frame, the stunning three dimensionality, and how it seems to capture extremely subtle tonal and color changes.  This is all based on other people's pictures but I see these qualities again and again.

All modern Leica lenses are outstanding, but it seems to me that only the very best among them will carry the kind of very memorable character.  The 50 ASPH and 75 AA are both in that league, and it seems to me the 35 FLE is there as well, which is why I've been looking to get it.

I can't answer for the 75, but I do have the 50 and had both 35's. Similar to you, I wanted that rendering in a 35 and found the 35FLE much closer to the 50 than the 35 Summicron ASPH (which I subsequently sold).

Most of my images are taken in the range f4-f8, I'm not a regular wide open photographer so the difference between f/1.4 or f/2 doesn't bother me. But I love the 35FLE stopped down, not only does it render almost like the latest 50/1.4 but its corner performance is really good. The 35FLE gets knocked a bit for its bokeh and whilst it isn't as nice as the 50, when I do occasionally use it wide open I haven't found it always to be troublesome - it can be quite nice depending on subject/background distance etc. Its not always the doom and gloom you might read in reviews ;-)

Of course everyone will have their own preference, but the 35FLE has become my most used lens partly because I think it does render in a similar way to the 50'lux.

Hope that helps,

Jonathan

I would say that from my own experience the 21/3.4, 35 (in my case pre-FLE), 50/1.4 asph., and 75/2 all share similar characteristics in that they are very precise and produce exceptionally detailed files. I have had the 28/2 which IMO did not show itself to be as outstanding, nor did the 24/2.8. The 90/2.8 E-M comes close but not quite. I would like to try the 24/3.4 and 18 and wonder if the new 28/1.4 will manage to climb into this class of lens too?

I don't like much the bokeh of either 35/1.4 FLE or 50/1.4 asph around f/2, f/2.8 but both are excellent at f/1.4 with the same modern rendering associated to Karbe lenses. The 75/2 is excellent at all apertures and matches well the other Summicrons asph and apo. 

• Like 1

Thank you for sharing the wonderful images. I'm surprised by the long / rich midtones.  I bet they print extremely well.

Yes, they do print well and I only would think of providing any images to Leica that I have personally printed. My next project is printing them 24x36 or 20x30. Epson has a sale on a T3270 24" printer which sounds interesting , but $$ and more space since I have over 200-300  of my images in 17x22 or 13x19 prints already taking up lots of space. Forgot to mention that I have been printing for only 3 years.

Edited by algrove

Yes these lenses have a similar character. And that characters name is Peter Karbe. 

Like you can pick a photographer from their photographs, you can pick a great lens designer from looking at the behaviour for lenses. For there is also an art to designing a great lens.