Yodobashi Rangefinder website- discusses drawing style of most Leica lenses

Winedemonium

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I stumbled across this website yesterday looking for info on the drawing style of a Leica lens. Most of the current crop of Leica lenses are discussed, along with photographs from those lenses, and also the ZM and CV lenses too. It's a useful resource.

http://rangefinder.yodobashi.com/lens/index_e.html

• Like 16

Not that I necessarily see it myself - but I'd guess he's using "wetness" to imply the lens makes things look as though they are wet. Fresh glistening paint vs. old dry paint. Rain-soaked reflections. Or in a different metaphor, "wet" fruity wines compared to "dry" crisp wines. Rain-forest colors/contrast vs. Death Valley colors/contrast.

Tricky in that he uses it in regard to the 24 f/2.8, but at the same time, most of his examples with that lens are of literally wet subjects. So was it the lens - or just the situation?

• Like 2

I came across this a few months before. The guy was right on some lenses regarding the draw and signature (e.g. ZM 15 and 85); he is among the first few suggested to underexpose the ZM 85 to get around the strong PF issue. But with other lenses, he seems to be too vague.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

They use the word 潤 ("wet") to describe a richer, more luxuriating look.   And "dry" is used to describe the opposite look of being more transparent, neutral and etched. 

The Chinese also use "wet" and "oily" to describe lenses.

Edited by cpclee
  • Like 4