Leica M9 questions

apple_scruff

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello I have just purchased a used Bargain grade M9 in Steel Grey from KEH and it arrived late this afternoon. The bottom plate however was replaced at some point as it is black in color and is from a M8. This is a little annoying but I have not decided if it is bothersome enough to send back.

I am excited to enter the Leica digital world as I have 3 other Leica film bodies a M3, IIIc and a IIf.

I am aware of some of the bugs and issues with this model camera.

I know of the CCD corrosion issue and I have not seen any evidence that my camera has the issue at this point.

I read about some card issues and will watch out for that.

I am charging the battery now and hope I do not have the dead battery issue.

I just stumbled onto the discreet mode lock up first hand before I realized this was a known issue. I uploaded the latest firmware 1.202. After I updated the firmware I was in the middle of testing this function and it still locked up. The battery then died this prompted a quick search and found others with this anomaliy  I will turn this feature off in the menu and hope that solves my lockup.

Knowing that turning off the discreet mode makes it more reliable I was wondering are there any settings that I should make in the menu that seem to make the camera more reliable?

The last question is are there any other bugs or issues for me to look out for?

I appreciate any thoughts and insight that you all may have on this.

Regards,

Steve

I just stumbled onto the discreet mode lock up first hand before I realized this was a known issue. I uploaded the latest firmware 1.202. After I updated the firmware I was in the middle of testing this function and it still locked up. The battery then died this prompted a quick search and found others with this anomaliy  I will turn this feature off in the menu and hope that solves my lockup.

Just do not use discreet mode in Continuous mode. It makes no sense. The battery is a separate issue; don't judge until it is fully charged and you know it is not a fake.  Here is a picture which indicates at least one instance in which the fake CE logo indicates a counterfeit.

• Like 1

I still find Discreet Mode to be a bit flakey (I only use 'S'ingle Mode)

I find if I do take a few shots, when I remove my finger from the shutter, the camera sometimes hangs for an age (5-10 seconds) before the shutter recocks. 

That is with the latest firmware on an M9.

I gave up using Discreet Mode, it's not such a big deal, but what you describe doesn't sound - so far - like abnormal behaviour.

You made the right move switching it off!

Discreet Mode being rubbish and the way the camera hangs (processing the buffer - little red light flashing) when you take too many shots too quickly are the only bugs/issues/unique features I've encountered.

Enjoy your new bargain, take it for a spin is the best way to test it.

There's not too much in the Menu to worry about. I switch off Auto Preview, about everything else is default - power off, uncompressed RAW etc.

Thanks all I really appreciate your help and insight. 

After my battery charged I turned off disceet mode and my lockup problem disappeared. Mine as well was acting up in single and continuous mode.

I read through the FAQ's a couple times and a wealth of info for sure.

I turned off the preview as well and set it up to take DNG files only.

Thanks for the CE logo link I will inpect the battery carefully.

I am excited to put the camera through its paces.

One other question that I could not find anything about is on the car adaptor for the charger. The camera came with the charger and the wall plug but not the cigarette adaptor for car use as I travel quite a bit this is something I would use. Does anyone know the details on this cable? Is it 12 volt to the plug or do they have a regulator in it? Can someone give me the polarity of the connector that plugs into the charger?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have been using my M9 since September 2010 with no problems at all.

I purchased new and got lucky as it was when Leica was still offering a 25% educators/student discount

I use sandisk ultra cards and never had a problem.

I love the sensors film look I have my jpeg preview set to B&W and always process from Raw

I am still blown away with the quality of the files and will be shooting my M9 for as long as I can

It is great that Leica is willing to change the sensor for free should any of the reported problems occur.

I would not be concerned about having the wrong base plate get a leather half case for it and you will soon forget

Happy shooting!

Edited by nelly
  • Like 1

I have been using my M9 since September 2010 with no problems at all.

I purchased new and got lucky as it was when Leica was still offering a 25% educators/student discount

I use sandisk ultra cards and never had a problem.

I love the sensors film look I have my jpeg preview set to B&W and always process from Raw

I am still blown away with the quality of the files and will be shooting my M9 for as long as I can

It is great that Leica is willing to change the sensor for free should any of the reported problems occur.

I would not be concerned about having the wrong base plate get a leather half case for it and you will soon forget

Happy shooting!

Ahh, I feel all relaxed all of a sudden, calm common sense and a sense of perspective, well said.

Steve

I sent the original steel grey M9 back and bought a like new black M9 from the Leica Store Miami.

After shooting the original one a little more I did notice it had the corrosion issue in the upper right corner. I decided with the base plate and the sensor issue this was not the camera for me. I struggled with the decision but I now know I made the right choice.

The second one is in stunning condition with all the boxes and accessories and it had only 458 shutter actuations on it when I got it. It also came with a black Leica grip in the deal.

After shooting the M9 I can see what all of the praise is about, I am looking forward to shooting more this weekend. I can see how this camera is the perfect companion to my M3 and dare I say my Canon 1ds mkii.

I sent the original steel grey M9 back and bought a like new black M9 from the Leica Store Miami.

After shooting the original one a little more I did notice it had the corrosion issue in the upper right corner. I decided with the base plate and the sensor issue this was not the camera for me. I struggled with the decision but I now know I made the right choice.

The second one is in stunning condition with all the boxes and accessories and it had only 458 shutter actuations on it when I got it. It also came with a black Leica grip in the deal.

After shooting the M9 I can see what all of the praise is about, I am looking forward to shooting more this weekend. I can see how this camera is the perfect companion to my M3 and dare I say my Canon 1ds mkii.

Sounds like you lucked out....Congrats and hope you take many a great picture with your M9

My M9 is a companion to my M6 and I also own a Nikon D810 which I use mostly for Video using fast older Nikkor Prime lenses

• Like 1