bit depth in ACR 9.0

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have just updated to ACR 9.0. The application is opening my .DNG files at 8-bit depth, and I cannot find a means to change the default process to open the raw files as 16-bit depth. I know I had this set to 16-bit in ACR 7.x and find it a needless step to change each file as I open it (at bottom blue script).

Does anyone have a suggestion about how I can set the default to 16-bit? When I have tried to SAVE CUSTOM SETTINGS, the 16-bit preference does not carry forward.

At the very bottom, below the image in ACR, in blue, you can select the color space, the bit depth, the pixel size and the resolution.  The line is between "Save Image" and "Open Image".  I don't know if the installation changed my default too, or if it was due to an image I opened.  Anyway, it is easily changed in that line.

• Like 2

To be more precise, from "The Adobe Photoshop Book for Digital Photographers for Versions CS6 and CC, by Scott Kelby, page 93.

"When you click OK and then click Open Image in Camera Raw dialog, your photo is processed using those settings [resolution, image size, color space, and bit depth] and opened in Photoshop.  . . . These workflow settings now become your defaults, so you don't have to mess with them again. . . "

• Like 1

Does anyone have a suggestion about how I can set the default to 16-bit? When I have tried to SAVE CUSTOM SETTINGS, the 16-bit preference does not carry forward.

As has been said it is nothing to do with Custom Settings for what your default bit depth is set to, it's the small line of text underneath the image in the ACR dialogue box that you need, it is blue in colour so easy to identify. Click on that and it opens a new dialogue box that sets your default preferences. It is not unknown for these defaults to be cancelled when a new version of ACR is released, so always check, but I think Adobe are on top of that problem now.

Steve

Edited by 250swb
  • Like 2

As has been said it is nothing to do with Custom Settings for what your default bit depth is set to, it's the small line of text underneath the image in the ACR dialogue box that you need, it is blue in colour so easy to identify. Click on that and it opens a new dialogue box that sets your default preferences. It is not unknown for these defaults to be cancelled when a new version of ACR is released, so always check, but I think Adobe are on top of that problem now.

Steve

et voila!

I thought I had been following these exact steps before posting my lifeline request....  but now the 16-bit stays put, just as you say.

Thanks so much.