Anyone here considering an MM instead of an M246?

Winedemonium

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just curious if anyone is pondering buying a new MM in 2015, rather than the new M246? If so, I am interested to know why.

I just got back some 20x30" prints I took last year on my MM. I love the look of them, and wonder if I might in fact like the look of the M246 files less. Almost every other consideration points to getting the M246 instead of the MM - better body, buffer, live view and better screen for certain lenses / edges critical work, and no sleepless nights worrying about CCD corrosion. 

The current price differential might be one consideration. The MM is currently being offered 'street' price' 29% less than the M246. But if I opt for the M246, I will wait for its street price to drop a bit. Meantime, this is the last chance to get a brand new Monochrom... So the price difference is not part of my thinking.

I've read what Erwin Puts has to say on this. Just wondering if anyone else is in the same current dilemma?

Thanks.

The MM is currently being offered 'street' price' 29% less than the M246.

?? Pls. explain. Where? 29%?

Here in Denmark the old MM is not listed anymore...you cannot buy it as new anymore...

All you need to do is eventually make some prints with the new one and compare…only you can decide if it suits you….why care what others do?  Rent, borrow or find a friendly dealer; meanwhile you have a nice camera.

Jeff

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I bought the MM1 the day the M246 came out. The reason is simple. Money. I paid $4,650 for a silver QM2. Aside from that I still shoot color with an M9 and like using the same accessories and batteries.

I used the same logic in purchasing my Monochrom last month. I knew the 246 was coming, but wanted the compatibility with my M9 batteries and accessories. I requested a silver one with M9-P engraving on top and Leica did it for me. Brings me back to my Dad's M3 which was my first Leica 46 years ago! :D

The only odd thing about my new camera was that the shutter release button is the M240 type and my regular Tom A softie did not work. Tom sent me the revised softie for the M240 and all is good.

Edited by derleicaman

I bought the MM1 the day the M246 came out. The reason is simple. Money. I paid $4,650 for a silver QM2. Aside from that I still shoot color with an M9 and like using the same accessories and batteries.

Just did the same thing for exactly the same price but a black one instead. I've also got an ME so all the equipment is interchangeable. Delivered today so I've still got to put it through its paces. 

I used the same logic in purchasing my Monochrom last month. I knew the 246 was coming, but wanted the compatibility with my M9 batteries and accessories. I requested a silver one with M9-P engraving on top and Leica did it for me. Brings me back to my Dad's M3 which was my first Leica 46 years ago! :D

The only odd thing about my new camera was that the shutter release button is the M240 type and my regular Tom A softie did not work. Tom sent me the revised softie for the M240 and all is good.

I was sort of opposite, though similar direction.  I've enjoyed the M Monochrom for the last two years, and decided to (finally) ditch the DSLR and add a color body.  Wanting compatibility of batteries and common interface I hunted for a new M-E and finally found one two-months-ago.  I could easily have bought a clean M240 for about the same price ($4200 US), but specifically chose the CCD because I have no intention of letting go of my classic Monochrom.

Just curious if anyone is pondering buying a new MM in 2015, rather than the new M246? If so, I am interested to know why.

I just got back some 20x30" prints I took last year on my MM. I love the look of them, and wonder if I might in fact like the look of the M246 files less. Almost every other consideration points to getting the M246 instead of the MM - better body, buffer, live view and better screen for certain lenses / edges critical work, and no sleepless nights worrying about CCD corrosion. 

The current price differential might be one consideration. The MM is currently being offered 'street' price' 29% less than the M246. But if I opt for the M246, I will wait for its street price to drop a bit. Meantime, this is the last chance to get a brand new Monochrom... So the price difference is not part of my thinking.

I've read what Erwin Puts has to say on this. Just wondering if anyone else is in the same current dilemma?

Thanks.

I just purchased a MM-1 about a week ago. It has been my dream camera for a couple of years. The reason is quite simple for me...$$$.

...for about $3500 less than the price of a new MM 246 I'm very content with my practically new Silver MM-1 that had less than 500 shutter actuations on it.

I don't consider the MM-1 purchase cheap by any means...4K is a lot to spend on a camera but 7K+ is not something that I will spend on a camera, especially if I'm not earning a living from it....

I have to say that I am also very enamored with the CCD sensor and it's quirks... :)

Edited by peterjcb
  • Like 1

Hard to pick one over another, so I ended up keeping the old MM and get the new M246 :)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Unlike the rest of you I sold my MM1 and just received my M246 who's platform matches my M-P and all accessories too. If the MM1 and MM2 are the same I'll take MM2 regardless, bigger LCD, bigger battery, MUCH quieter shutter, R lenses, new sensor, etc.

• Like 1

Ditto on cost being the consideration. I just acquired a used MM at about a third of the cost of a new M246. 

A new M246 was not even a vague possibility so the decision was already made for me.

If it weren't for the M246, MM prices wouldn't have had a slight correction to put one within range.

If cost weren't a consideration, it would have been a very difficult decision. I can see the appeal in wanting two bodies based on the same platform (I have M9)

I wonder how long the MM will continue to be available new and if it will have some final discount if it is to be discontinued? 

Does that mirror previous Leica practice on discontinuing bodies?