Possible Focusing Issue M2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi everyone,

Hopefully what I'm posting does not seem dumb, but...

I just recently aquired a M2 and noticed something odd when I was focusing with my 50mm Summilux. As I would be focusing and moving towards 0.7m at some point the patch through the viewfinder would stop changing/adjusting but the lens would keep rotating. It seems to stop changing after I pass about 0.9m. I tried with my 35mm Summilux as well and that seems to be the case too.

Does this mean that my M2 needs to be readjusted or is this something typical for the M2?

Thank you in advance!

Patryk

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

Hopefully what I'm posting does not seem dumb, but...

I just recently aquired a M2 and noticed something odd when I was focusing with my 50mm Summilux. As I would be focusing and moving towards 0.7m at some point the patch through the viewfinder would stop changing/adjusting but the lens would keep rotating. It seems to stop changing after I pass about 0.9m. I tried with my 35mm Summilux as well and that seems to be the case too.

Does this mean that my M2 needs to be readjusted or is this something typical for the M2?

Thank you in advance!

Patryk

I had never noticed this before but, now you have raised the topic, I checked my cameras and that is the case with both my M2 and M3. As the Summaron that I use on my M2 only focuses domn to 1m this has never been an issue, but having tried other lenses I see that around 0.9m is the closest the rangefinder operates on both cameras.

I tend to use my M7 with a 28mm lens and my M2 with a 35mm lens so have never though about it before.

This is probably a well known feature of the M3/M2. I am sure someone will provide the answer.

The early M-mount cameras did only focus to 1 meter, but often the close focus limit can be adjusted by a tech during a CLA. The reverse can also happen: after an otherwise good CLA my M6 now only focuses to .9 m

• 2 weeks later...

So, thought I'd give an update on my issue. It seems like the roller arm was getting essentially stuck. After I took the lens off and had initially thought of trying to adjust it myself and pushed on it a few times, it cleared whatever was causing it to get stuck and now adjust as Im focusing, all the way to 0.7m.

Probably I could sign I should get it CLA'd and looked at anyways.

I also discovered I had a light leaked after developing my first roll of film and sadly after going through a second. Managed to fix that up for the time being with some liquid electrical tape, but I think I'll have the shutter replaced when I get it CLA'd at the same time.

Hello Acolite,

Camera & lenses are sometimes like people: If they sit around & do nothing for a long time sometimes they get creaky.

Just like people they often benefit from getting up & doing something. Sometimes just exercising all of the options or/& alternatives on a camera/lens is enough to get it back into shape.

There is nothing to be gained from giving a camera/lens an unneeded CLA. All that happens is that the overall service life of what has just been serviced has just been reduced.

I do repairs of old clock mechanisms - 100 years & older. This is a subject that comes up continually. Please keep in mind: The camera mechanisms within a mechanical "M" virtually all came from the clock industry directly. There is no advantage to cleaning a camera/lens before it is needed when all that is needed is a little exercising of the mechanism in order to return things to their properly functioning condition.

Leicas & their lenses are Samoyeds: They like to lay on a couch occasionally. But they are at their very best when they are working.

I had a pinhole in a shutter curtain repaired by Leitz a very long time ago. To this day it works perfectly. Altho that curtain has always looked cosmetically challenged. I doubt they did anything much different than you did. You might ask them to look at it if the problem returns. There may never be another problem with your curtain. No need to replace an entire shutter because of a hole in a curtain.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht