Smallest and Most Versatile Leica M Lenses

michaelbrenner

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm with Jono on this one:

28mm Elmarit

50mm APO Summicron

90mm Macro Elmar

For versatility, I would take the APO over all.  In other words, if I could have only one lens. . .

Totally agree, if I were left with a choice of one lens only, the APO 50 would trump all the rest.

• Like 2

Dirk,

You might also be aware that the full set of six Walz 19mm coloured filters can often be found reasonably cheaply on ebay.

Pete.

Oh, I wasn't aware of that! Off, hunting some filters then …

Agree, Pete. The Hektor is tiny. Flare can be a problem though mine is from the last batch in 1950 and coated so doesn't suffer so badly. It vignettes a bit too.

8417880734_d9eaf89b62_c.jpg

8149058305_e895ab6178_c.jpg

Beach, Heron Island | Flickr

TTL Portra 160

My favourite is the Summitar however. Small and light, quirky wide open but polished stopped down. 

10764954854_6e3f78bfaf_c.jpg

Bright and wet | Flickr

Leica II Agfa Vista 200

8476248057_e460985725_c.jpg

Tight corner | Flickr

Leica II Superia 200

This tiny Hektor is indeed the natural companion to the 3.5 and 5cm Elmar lenses. It was on my wish list for a long, long time when I couldn't find one but somehow disappeared from that list when my interest in wide-angle lenses vaned.

• Like 5

Great thread. 

I lack some experience with the older LTM lenses, except for a Summitar that I enjoyed for a while. The thing wrong with it was some grit that made slight focus adjustments tricky. But that lens was one of a large variety of tiny little lenses Leitz made across the 28 - 50 range. I'm impressed by some of the images on this thread. In the same genre - a retro copy of the Elmar I think, Voigtlander have a 3.5/50 collapsible, LTM. I owned one for a while and it is blisteringly sharp. In the end I was put off a bit by the rattly, slightly loose aperture ring. I also find the ergonomics of those little tabs tricky, and with an adaptor to M-mount, they can put you in a somewhat contorted position hitting either end of the focus range. 

I agree with TRlago - any 35mm Summicron. Some are <150g. If I want only one lens for a variety of uses, its sort of the Goldilocks focal length too. A great one lens kit.

the 2.8/50 Elmar is great too.

I've never tried the 4/90 Macro Elmar. I must give it a go sometime.

• Like 1

40 Rokkor, 28 CV LTM, 90 macro-elmar.

Now that you mention the 28mm CV, I remember to mention the 50/2.5 CV LTM - this is a lens, very close in size and built quality with the Leica Summicron 35mm v1.

It is tiny, performs flawlessly and might even survive a nuclear war unscathed. It is heavy though, feeling very dense (massive brass under black paint or silver chrome, depending on choice).

• Like 2

This tiny Hektor is indeed the natural companion to the 3.5 and 5cm Elmar lenses.

The 2.8/5.6 Summaron is supposedly a considerably better performer (and is more user friendly with an aperture ring). I've considered adding it but I'm also not much into the wider focal lengths and feel happy with the Hektor (which, its name notwithstanding, is no dog hahaha). The Summaron is actually quite pricey these days.

Has anyone mentioned the 35mm CV Skopar? That's surely got to be one of the best bang-for-the-buck lenses out there in 35mm.

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

What are your favorite smallest and most versatile Leica M lenses?

When I waded into Leicaland, I intentionally bought compact lenses for my film M6TTL 0.85, all with 39mm filters, to keep usability as top priority.  

35mm f/2.0 Summicron-M ASPH

50mm f/2.0 Summicron-M

90mm f/2.8 Tele-Elmarit

21mm f/4.0 Voigtlander (and a Leitz viewfinder)

I regularly use the first two; not so much the others.  I'm still trying to get the gist of Leica optics, and have puzzled about the direction to take for macro.

Fred

Edited by FredR
  • Like 1

who needs an APO summicron, eh?

Only photographers who can *really* make it shine...otherwise it is pretty much ego petting.

Back on topic, I am becoming somewhat addicted to my new addition, the 28 Elmarit asph.

Edited by Ai_Print
  • Like 1

Only photographers who can *really* make it shine...otherwise it is pretty much ego petting.

Your opinion, but the people who have posted on here that own a 50mm APO Summicron seem like photography is their love. I haven't seen any ego petting. In fact, this forum has very few ego petters unless, perhaps, you'd like to volunteer?

• Like 1

From my point of view, and if I could only take one lens to a desert island, it would be the 35mm Summicron ASPH f2.0.

Reasons: Small, versatile, does what it says on the tin in terms of bokeh when fully open or has great depth of field when required at f4 onwards.

Hard to beat

• Like 1

35/2 asph and 50/2 apo are indeed versatile but the smallest they are not.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6

I only own small and light lenses.  My choice for absolute best would be my uncoated Carl Zeiss Jena 5cm f/1.5 Sonnar made back in 1937 and tuned to focus accurately wide-open from MFD all the way to infinity by Sonnar-master Brian Sweeney.  It is much smaller than my current version 50mm f/2 Summicron, a stop faster, and just makes anyone or anything I point it at better looking.

wide open it renders like only a vintage Sonnar can.  Stopped down it is sharp and modern.  Of course, it's a to trick pony, either f/8 or f/1.5, always.

17105193148_db2548ee44_b.jpgL1000202.jpg by Lawman1967, on Flickr

17292483991_2cd7aab610_b.jpgL1000241.jpg by Lawman1967, on Flickr

Edited by asiafish
  • Like 6

28mm f/2.8 Elmarit-M. I love this lens. Very small, very light and a sterling performer as a result of which it's my general purpose wide angle lens and, light permitting, my preferred alternative to the Summilux 35 FLE.

Just bought this lense a couple of days ago to cut down the weight of the M246 with the 28mm Summicron.. Rarely use 2.0 and loving the Elmarit

Edited by Avatar
  • Like 1

I only own small and light lenses.  My choice for absolute best would be my uncoated Carl Zeiss Jena 5cm f/1.5 Sonnar made back in 1937 and tuned to focus accurately wide-open from MFD all the way to infinity by Sonnar-master Brian Sweeney.  It is much smaller than my current version 50mm f/2 Summicron, a stop faster, and just makes anyone or anything I point it at better looking.

wide open it renders like only a vintage Sonnar can.  Stopped down it is sharp and modern.  Of course, it's a to trick pony, either f/8 or f/1.5, always.

L1000202.jpg by Lawman1967, on Flickr

L1000241.jpg by Lawman1967, on Flickr

Of course this has to be very, very high on the list - how could I not have listed it myself ;-)

There is nothing coming close to a nice copy of an original Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar lens - you are very fortunate to have such a nice tuned sample with the golden touch from Brian - a once in a lifetime lens indeed!

Two trick pony...sounds a lot like my 50 Summicron v.4. f/2 and f/5.6.

Only that by comparison any 50 Summicron version looks dead compared to what the beautifully organic CZJ Sonnar can do.

Of course these Summicron lenses probably all outperform the pre War Sonnar in many aspects optically but when it comes to the look of it - there is nothing like it (well worth the often long, long hunt to find one).

I do have to point out though that I am not agreeing with the two trick pony aspect.

Personally there is nothing more beautiful than a 5cm f1.5 CZJ Sonnar @ f2.8 - f4 - such perfect tones and just enough detail over the frame to really look stunning.

I like my wartime 5cm f1.5 CZJ best with a B&W 022 Yellow filter on the MM.

street portrait @ f1.5:

L1064615-M%20Monochrom-.jpg

That's how tiny these are compared to a Summilux pre ASPH E46 (my other, more modern favorite on the Mono):

IMG_1063-iPhone%205s-50%20f1.5%20Carl%20

• Like 3

… Of course these Summicron lenses probably all outperform the pre War Sonnar in many aspects optically but when it comes to the look of it - there is nothing like it (well worth the often long, long hunt to find one). ...

I also have a Brian Sweeney adjusted CZJ 50/1.5 Sonnar in LTM and it is outstanding.  CZJ 50/1.5 Sonnars in Contax mount can be found much more easily and used with an Amadeo Muscelli Contax-M adaptor but the marketplace contains plenty of Russian fakes that were made with a mixture of Jupiter and Sonnar parts when part of the Zeiss factory was moved to Jena during the Russian occupation after WW2.  Their lower tolerances often introduce focus shift, decentering of lens elements, and other aberrations that affect performance.  This link provides a guide of how to spot a fake.

The Carl Zeiss Jena 50/2 Sonnar is even smaller and more compact than its f/1.5 cousin and also produces with the gentle Sonnar 'signature' in out of focus areas.

Pete.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Does the 1930s Contax Zeiss have the same look as the modern Zeiss 50mm 1.5 ZM Sonnar? It is the same optical design and this old lens is still in production today 80 years later! Is there any reason to get the older 1930s version?

Edited by Mornnb

Beautiful photograph and absolutely delicate colors!

I think one reason why the hunt for a genuine CZJ Sonnar is so difficult and yet the prices for these lenses remain fairly low (despite their wonderful qualities) lies in the fact that for the untrained there is question marks on originality with these lenses everywhere with the market flooded with cheap copies and many scrupulous dealers preying on the uneducated potential buyer.

To find a good sample really works best when dealing from person to person on the diverse photo forums and trading and exchanging those known good lenses among friends, which is how I got my copy from a friend in GB who then a while later bought yet another sample, as it simply is not possible to live without a vintage CZJ Sonnar once you had one - how are you doing John ;-)

A tip: whenever you have finally found a good sample yourself, NEVER let go of it, and if you really must, please keep it among the few people you know will cherish it and take care of it as you would yourself.

It is not unheard of that those few nice copies on the market are making the rounds in a very small circle of people and once in a while find their way back to former owners.

These lenses will surely outside us, if taken well care of ;-)

• Like 2