Smallest and Most Versatile Leica M Lenses

michaelbrenner

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I use a 35 Summicron Asph and a 28 Elmarit. In terms of size there is not much difference. The Elmarit is a bit smaller. The 35mm Summicron is actually the lens I used to use most of the time. But recently I found myself using the Elmarit more and more. I guess I will start going out with just the Elmarit. Perfect travel lens and even good for environmental portraits. I love both lenses. 

Well, a subject close to my heart right now, as we're off to China next week . . . and the answer is:

28 elmarit Asph - Jennifer is right, it's a cracker

50 summicron APO - and lighter than an Otus :)

90 mm macro elmar - great allrounder

The perfect 39mm setup. So let's see you are testing another new monochrom camera?

• Like 1

Konica UC-Hexanon 35/2 LTM

- a special edition lens, similarly compact as a pre ASPH 35 Summicron, yet much better build and with a very lovely rendering (optical design rooted in the original W-Nikkor 35/1.8 design.

- it's the lens sitting on a Leica M when I leave the house most of the time when I want the smallest, most versatile package

5cm Elmar f3.5 LTM

- the original 50mm lens that catapulted the Leitz camera on the scene

- everyone should have one

- still almost 100 years after it's inception it is able to stun you with it's performance

- surely not as convenient as modern lenses (aperture dial around the tiny front element, odd filter size, …)

- I take it once in a while on a camera and be aghast of it's qualities time and time again

Canadian 50 Summicron (last version with focus tab before introduction of current version)

- smallest, modern 50 Summicron there is when used without lens hood

- unfortunately it's optical traits leave me cold, otherwise a wonderfully compact (and as we all know by it's optical design) very capable lens in it's smallest possible package

Anything I usually use is larger or heavier but these are always a joy to come back to when in need of very compact and lightweight.

A bonus lens when longer is needed:

90/4 Macro Elmar

- greatest, compact telephoto ever

• Like 3

5cm Elmar f3.5 LTM

- the original 50mm lens that catapulted the Leitz camera on the scene

- everyone should have one

- still almost 100 years after it's inception it is able to stun you with it's performance

- surely not as convenient as modern lenses (aperture dial around the tiny front element, odd filter size, …)

- I take it once in a while on a camera and be aghast of it's qualities time and time again

This is totally true- I found a MINT red dial version of this lens in a box of junk at a fleamrket and got it for $5! Have used it to make very large prints, and whoa- the lens is increddible for its size, age, etc. Great for infrared on the M8 as well.

• Like 2

50 Apo and 50 Cron Rigid (the first is married to my M240 and the second to my M246) 

35 Cron v4 and v1 (ditto)

I like the 39mm filter size for all the above. Thinking about Elmar 90/4 3-element (or the Macro Elmar) for same reason.

Alternatively, I use my 50 Apo and Cron 28 Asph for a good travel combination.

• Like 1

This is totally true- I found a MINT red dial version of this lens in a box of junk at a fleamrket and got it for $5! Have used it to make very large prints, and whoa- the lens is increddible for its size, age, etc. Great for infrared on the M8 as well.

Wow, what a find!

You should celebrate that day every year ;-)

I don't use my Elmar much any more but every single time I take it out not expecting much, I am blown away.

It's a pity it is just that bit more inconvenient to use than more modern lenses that it is often left behind.

It would be my recommendation No 01 for every up and coming photographer on a budget looking for a 50mm to use for a few years.

yep- it is fiddly and absurdly small- but utterly usable:

Yes- my all time best Leica deal- here she is:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

and here is what she does:

Edited by jaques
  • Like 5

Today's camera manufacturers have succeeded in injecting the concept of only the newest, most modern camera gear will lead to great image quality so successfully that grabbing that century old Elmar is always a revelation ;-)

Given how affordable even really nice samples are nowadays, it is a lens not be excused not to have.

I highly recommend the available lens hood, compatible with 3.5 and 5cm Elmar.

I also recently found an original Leitz yellow E19 screw in filter for my sample which I am going to leave on the lens and use it a bit again with film and on the MM.

This is a great little lens!

5cm Elmar LTM (mine is a coated, late sample ~1954):

L1052996-M9%20Digital%20Camera-portrait%

The 3.5cm Elmar LTM is even smaller yet not as optically competent as it's older 5cm brother:

L1052836-M%20Monochrom-tai%20chi%20-%20b

or:

L1047887-M9%20Digital%20Camera-.jpg

These two vintage Elmar lenses make a fantastic pair and make a modern Leica M body feel almost too large ;-)

• Like 5

who needs an APO summicron, eh?

An APO-Summicron 50?. No one, but it's nevertheless a very nice lens to own. And to take the argument to its logical conclusion, apart from food and shelter no one needs anything else, least of all a Leica ...................... but that's hardly the point is it? ;)

• Like 4

…. I also recently found an original Leitz yellow E19 screw in filter for my sample which I am going to leave on the lens and use it a bit again with film and on the MM. ...

Dirk,

You might also be aware that the full set of six Walz 19mm coloured filters can often be found reasonably cheaply on ebay.

Pete.

• Like 1

I'm with Jono on this one:

28mm Elmarit

50mm APO Summicron

90mm Macro Elmar

For versatility, I would take the APO over all.  In other words, if I could have only one lens. . .

• Like 1

The Leitz 2.8 cm f/6.3 Hektor with an LTM-M adaptor is as small as it gets.

Agree, Pete. The Hektor is tiny. Flare can be a problem though mine is from the last batch in 1950 and coated so doesn't suffer so badly. It vignettes a bit too.

8417880734_d9eaf89b62_c.jpg

8149058305_e895ab6178_c.jpg

Beach, Heron Island | Flickr

TTL Portra 160

My favourite is the Summitar however. Small and light, quirky wide open but polished stopped down. 

10764954854_6e3f78bfaf_c.jpg

Bright and wet | Flickr

Leica II Agfa Vista 200

8476248057_e460985725_c.jpg

Tight corner | Flickr

Leica II Superia 200

• Like 5