Smallest and Most Versatile Leica M Lenses

michaelbrenner

Summilux 35mm f/1.4, any series before the ASPH. At f/1.4  has a soft glow in contrasty low light which I like very much. Good OOF.

I prefer the one with infinity lock which only makes it a bit easier to remove the lens. Thank goodness  now there are aftermarket shades for them.

Edited by pico
  • Like 4

The pre-aspheric 35mm Summilux is an exceptional lens. Small, light and for its time a breathtaking design which could not have been bettered (as well-known lens designers at Elcan have stated in a paper on the subject). If your two requirements are small size and versatility then IMO this is probably the top contender from Leica. Others may just be smaller but lack the Summilux's fast aperture and hence versatility (even if it is tricky, though sometimes rewarding, to use wide open). Unlike Pico I prefer the ones without the infinity lock myself.

• Like 3

28mm f/2.8 Elmarit-M. I love this lens. Very small, very light and a sterling performer as a result of which it's my general purpose wide angle lens and, light permitting, my preferred alternative to the Summilux 35 FLE.

• Like 8

28mm f/2.8 Elmarit-M. I love this lens. Very small, very light and a sterling performer as a result of which it's my general purpose wide angle lens and, light permitting, my preferred alternative to the Summilux 35 FLE.

Fully agreed. It is the most compact lens in Leica's line up and is perfect for travel.

Edited by Mornnb

in search for a lens that is the best combination of small AND versatile I would nominate the canadian 35/1.4,

In the current lineup it would be the 35 summarit.

Add the additional (usual) requirements of optical and mechanical performance and we have another winner: Summicron-M 35 ASPH

If you additionally dare to invest in the phenomenal 90/4 Macro, you have a remarkably small and versatile set while still creating images with corner-to-corner sharpness of the highest order.

Extra/Alternative II:  28/2,8 elmarit Asph (Current) + 50/2,8 elmar collapsible (recently discontinued)

I see little reason to own all four, but together they would create a set of unbelievable lightness, versatility AND quality.

Edited by skinnfell
  • Like 2

My vote for the smallest and most versatile M lens would be for the pre-ASPH 35 Summilux. I have had one since 1972 and it was always the lens I used the most. That and the 50 Lux. I went to the 35 Lux ASPH when it first came out and used it as my primary lens up until recently. I have gone back to the old 35 Lux which I never sold or traded. There is just something special and very Leica-like in the way it draws. Especially on the MM. The ASPH is very near perfection, but the old Lux has SOUL! I'm glad I have both.

Another fave would be the 50/2.8 Elmarit. You can't get smaller or near perfect as that. I just acquired a CV 75/2.5 Color Heliar. I am falling in love with that one. Tack sharp and IMO, a better lens than the 90/2.8 TE Thin and the Elmar C. Plus it's even smaller than the other two 90's.

• Like 1

Versatility is a subjective topic so I'll suggest on size only.  The Leitz 2.8 cm f/6.3 Hektor with an LTM-M adaptor is as small as it gets.  Unless you include the Perrar 28/4 Super Triplet.  (Or a pinhole 'lens' of course. :D)

Pete.

• Like 2