A day with the M-P, M246, and 50mm Apo

skimmel

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So, I rented an M-P, Monochrom 246, and 50mm Apo Summicron this past week.  (I used the monochrome for a play I was shooting but can't post those images here).

Went to Memorial Day parade with the M-P with the 50mm on it and the Monochrom with my 24 f/2.8.  

Results are all at the link below. This is *not* a comparison of the cameras as they are shot with different lenses and I had different intents for the BW vs. color images.

I currently have an M9 and I must say that I really love the new M body and functions and I probably will trade my M9 for an M-P.  I also an enamored by the Monochrom but just don't know if I can justify getting that.  In terms of the 50mm Apo, it's spectacular.  If I had 14K to spend (with the current US discount), I'm not sure if I would get the Monochrom or the 50mm.  I have a 50 lux, but there's something about the summicron that makes me go "ooooh."

Anyway, hope you find the images useful.  Feel free to ask questions you may have.  I'm not a pro but I've been shooting for 40 years and have been using Leicas for the past 10 years.

http://sekadk.zenfolio.com/gladwynememorialday15 

I would like to also cross-post this on the Monochrom board -- is there any way to do this without double posting?

Edited by skimmel
  • Like 2

Thanks for posting these, excellent shots, I have a 240 ,50 lux , confused about buying 50 apo or new mono, was thinking about getting 50 apo but most images seen so far on 240 kinda look different,, your color pics however look rich, any b/w 240 pics with apo

Thanks

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thank you r7photo for your kind words.

It was a very challenging day -- mid-day, high contrast, lots of shadows. Being able to pull up shadows on the monochrom was very useful. I also exposed for highlights so had no problem with blown highlights.

Thanks for posting these, excellent shots, I have a 240 ,50 lux , confused about buying 50 apo or new mono, was thinking about getting 50 apo but most images seen so far on 240 kinda look different,, your color pics however look rich, any b/w 240 pics with apo

Thanks

It's exacly what I did last Friday: Stayed with my M240 and changed my 50lux in a 50Apo. Wonderfull...

Mono samples look very nice, if I get new mono would be my only cam, love b/w but also like color pics so I am confused lol

For an only camera I would not get the Mono since the M240 platform coverts to B&W very nicely and then you have the best of both worlds. Also keep in mind you can set color for RAW and jpeg for B&W and ALSO set the LCD to preview B&W only so it can put you in a B&W mood even with a color M240.

• Like 1

For an only camera I would not get the Mono since the M240 platform coverts to B&W very nicely and then you have the best of both worlds. Also keep in mind you can set color for RAW and jpeg for B&W and ALSO set the LCD to preview B&W only so it can put you in a B&W mood even with a color M240.

This is a very good point.  I realize you lose the high ISO capabilities of the mono, but I think I may go this route.

That is precisely what I do... And you can't underestimate just how much you get into a B&W mindset with the B&W preview set.

(I used to do much the same in the seventies when I had a red filter virtually permanently attached to my Nikon F2A/50mm 1.4 nikkor, a combination I carted around everywhere).

If the 246 was around when I bought my M-P, I may well have bought it instead...80 to 90% of my photography is B&W, but to be honest, now I have 'grown into' my M-P, I am very happy with my B&W conversions (Lightroom on the dng files and SFX to finish) and I get the occasional 'bonus' colour shots. I delete the B&W jpgs once they are in Lightroom and have sorted out what I want to do with the image... I just use them literally as a preview.

I'm more than happy with my choice... and had I had the option at the time, I may well have chosen the wrong camera and now be looking for a 'colour' body instead of the more sensible choice of an additional lens to complete my system (18 or 21 SEM to go with my 35 Summicron, 50 Lux and 90 Elmarit).

Edited by Livingston
  • Like 1