• 4 months later...

So some time has passed and I have picked up a m-p 240 and a mm246. I use them and enjoy them. I've attached the MP3 50 and the black paint 35 to the m-p and it's a really pretty set up. However, I still have been hesitant to just use and not care about the MP3. It's so beautiful it feels a bit like jewelry. I have a dealer willing to trade me the MP3 set and 35 for a brand new noctilux, 35 fle, and 28 summilux. My thought is more glass, less fancy. I would pick up a m7 or he's even offered to make a deal with a mp6. Am I making a mistake walking away from this set??

Edited by BigBabyEarl

So some time has passed and I have picked up a m-p 240 and a mm246. I use them and enjoy them. I've attached the MP3 50 and the black paint 35 to the m-p and it's a really pretty set up. However, I still have been hesitant to just use and not care about the MP3. It's so beautiful it feels a bit like jewelry. I have a dealer willing to trade me the MP3 set and 35 for a brand new noctilux, 35 fle, and 28 summilux. My thought is more glass, less fancy. I would pick up a m7 or he's even offered to make a deal with a mp6. Am I making a mistake walking away from this set??

If you focus on taking photos, it seems to me that trading the MP3 set for the fantastic lenses is the right decision. Don´t look back, but go out and take beautiful photos with the new lenses. The MP3 set will not give you this benefit, since you don´t use it.

If you have the extra money and focus on the beauty of this set enjoying it even without using it, you should keep it. IMHO, there is a high likelihood that once you have sold it, it will be very difficult to get hold of one again.

I bought the MP3 set for use, but finally could not decide to use it since it is a valuable collector´s item. IMHO, it does not make sense to burn a lot of money with the first scratch, while a standard MP or other camera will give you the same results. Finally, I kept the MP3 and enjoy it´s beauty as a collector´s item, while I use the Monochrom for what a camera is constructed for...

This works very well for me.

Try rent these modern lenses first and see if you like them ... !

I would love an MP3, and I'd use it.

:-(

That said, if you're going to be shooting digital and you're happy with that, all that new glass would be useful to you. Better to be using something than having money tied up in something you daren't touch. Just make sure you do use those lenses

Pete

Edited by Stealth3kpl
  • Like 2

Thanks guys. From the start it's been a conflict between form and function. To see and hold the camera is really amazing. I put a camera strap on it and the paint rubbed off the lugs. Instantly no longer like new!  I travelled a couple places with it and when I held it I loved it. Yet, I was always conscious of it. I went to my Leica store the other day and held an M7. Felt like I could do whatever to it, plus all my digital is always in aperture priority. I just made a deal with Leica to trade my m-p towards an SL (I could use the zoom for work and M glass for fun). That's where the thought of having more tools (lenses) for image making begins to stir. A SL, a M246, a M7 with 28,35,50 apo, 50 .95 (plus the 24-90 zoom)... there's a lot of directions to play around with. Otherwise it's the SL, m246, and the MP3 with the pretty 50 and 35 black paints. The 50 lux is a pretty lens, but only one stop difference from the APO and aesthically nicer (black paint, vintage style). The 35 cron is from 2000, very pretty on the MP3, but optically as we all know solid, slower than the 1.4 and from what I'm reading not great on the SL. The new 28 lux and 50 noct are both amazing image makers. So it's a balancing act between having a $15-20k film setup vs an equal amount in glass. 

An we haven't even begun to discuss what flipping towards an S would look like. 

Edited by BigBabyEarl
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Boy, you're making this hard for yourself!

You never regret lenses - keep them, use them.

Cameras?  Well, the Monochrom is special (I won't sell mine), the SL looks like it will be a good digital to own (I'm waiting for mine to arrive).  I will have SL, M60, Monochrom, M-A and M3.  I see little point in changing any of these as they are each different and give tremendous pleasure.  My only problem is finding time to use them.

For you?  Well, if you buy the SL, you're buying into a wider lens selection and greater functionality.  There is logic on having the Monochrom, and a film camera, but there's huge capital tied up in that MP3 ... Go to the Leica website, and have a play with the a la carte configurator - you can get a lot of camera, tailored to you and still have change if you traded the MP3 ...

• Like 1