Advertisement (gone after registration)

The new Monochrom came out and it really got me thinking about my set up. I think film looks better and I'm just tired of chasing digital.

I found a MP-3 set mint and of course, its beautiful. Insanely beautiful. However, at around $20k for a BP MP (its special, I know) a leicavit, and a BP 50 summilux- I'm wondering if the cost is just well, ridiculous. I want to shoot. I want to ultimately run two bodies with B&W and Portra.

Would a person be better served buying a couple of sweet a la carte MP's or M7's? I already own a 50 apo. Probably would run a 28 or 35 on another body.

OR Get the MP-3, wait a little for funds to come back and get a second body later? Thanks. Leica therapy.

• Like 2

Can't advise you, just say what I did.  I had M6's, 7's, P's, sold them all, kept my original 2 M4's, a IIIa and IIIf in case I want to ever shoot film Leica's again.  To me the cost of even a pedestrian M7 or MP new today is more than I would dream of spending when there are scads of film M's out there for a fraction thereof, and will return identical results given the same lens and film.

• Like 1

+1

Apart from the meter, an M2 with CLA is just as good or better for me than any film M body. I say better because of the uncluttered frames for 35 / 50 and 90

M4 and upwards gives you more frames and easier rewind.

If you need more frames and a build in meter, M6 will be fine.

If you need auto exposure M7 will be fine.

Age does not matter to me, as long as it has had a recent CLA it will be as good as new. They were build to last even more than a lifetime...

Buy more body's with the money you save on the MP-3, always easy to have choice of several film types without having to change them mid film.

• Like 1

There are two answers to this.

First the logical one. It would be stupid to spend that sort of money so go for a couple of M bodies (my most used are my M2 and M7) and, maybe, a 28 and 35 lens. But that is the logical answer.

Your heart is telling you "go for the MP3 set", then maybe a M2 body.

In the end, only you can decide.

I know what I would do (I love my MP3 set) but I am not trying to influence you :)

I found a MP-3 set mint and

To most people such collectibles are for buying and selling, not using. So unless $20,000 is your weekly pocket money buy something cheaper. After all nobody else will care or know the difference (including most Leica owners), and the only way to grab their attention will be to say how much it cost, and that just isn't cool in any society.

Steve

• Like 2

Buy one used MP around 2004 , they keep their value. Buy one a la carte to make one as you like, buy the new 1,4 28mm and you've got all your bases covered I think. If you still have money left, I can give you my bank number. ;)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm just tired of chasing digital.

(...)

I'm wondering if the cost is just well, ridiculous.

"chasing digital" - very nice expression.

But, to me, yes (apologies for being direct), it's ridiculous to spend that much on a body which will take exactly the same photos as any other film M.

In your situation I'd buy a serviced M with the frame lines and any other features needed and spend the rest on (A LOT) of film.

Just my 2p.

Br

Philip

• Like 1

To some people it seems that life is all about SAVING money.

If you have the money, if you want that set, buy it.

Well if funds are tight, as it appears, then buying it and using it instantly depletes those funds because the value will plummet the very second the camera comes out of it's box. It is true prices plummet anyway, whatever the camera is, but the margin for what 'should' be a collectible is skewed towards a far greater loss. So it's not really about having the money to spend, it's about having the money to lose.

Steve

• Like 1

Sorry. I guess I meant as long as you don't thrash them. Back to the subject, for that dollar amount would you guys go for a set or a collectible like the M3J or would you focus on gear you don't have to be worried about because of loss, damage, depreciation. I would like to hear from people who possibly use the rarer cameras and not give crap about it.

Sorry. I guess I meant as long as you don't thrash them. Back to the subject, for that dollar amount would you guys go for a set or a collectible like the M3J or would you focus on gear you don't have to be worried about because of loss, damage, depreciation. I would like to hear from people who possibly use the rarer cameras and not give crap about it.

You can just handle it and the paint will come off, it doesn't need to bump into anything. But from all the bag, half-case, and 'protection'  posts on LUF you can tell the people who will be missing the photograph because they are slowed in their responses by an excess of faffing about with a lens cloth or the buckle of their boutique camera bag. Not that I'm advocating a gung-ho attitude, but seriously the most liberating thing is to get your first scratch over and done with, and then there is no 'mint in box' camera to protect any more and you can concentrate on photography........if that is the aim?

Steve

Edited by 250swb
  • Like 4

If its well within your budget I say go for it. The only way I could enjoy using such expensive camera is firstly not to be burdened by the cost or potential damage that might occur which all boils down to available income. I know a lot of people here are saying to go for the economical choice but you've made it clear that you are fortunate enough to buy it without having to worry about money. People buy expensive watches for similar reason, if it makes you happy I think its great your hobby is leaning towards Leica cameras.

Rirakuma said is right: it all boils down to your available income.

To all the people trying to talk the guy into a ZINC M6, can you please stop?

I regard my BP MPs as lifetime conpanions. Unique tools that will brass from my own hands. And this is priceless.

My camera, my brassing, my prints, my vision. All mine. My hands don't have time to lose with ZINC or CHROME cameras which only become uglier with use.

You got the money? You gonna use the thing? Well buy it and never look back. To hell with ZI C and CHROME.

• Like 1

I'm all for black paint bodies, and the marks one puts on them, which is why I shoot a Millennium and a black paint M4.

There's in my opinion nothing special about the MP-3; it was just something LHSA designed to create a replica (original) MP with a light meter. Only the fact that most of the 500 black ones and the 500 chrome ones were bought by collectors makes them special. Again this is just my view. For much less one can get a similarly specced black paint body. For instance the Millennium with its two lenses.

I would understand the choice to spend 20k if it were an original MP. The MP-39*went recently at the LP Foto auction in Stockholm for about 30,000€ but a little while earlier the MP-57 was sold for about 12,000€. These are the real deal and a whole lot cooler IMHO than a replica.

All this being said, if the money is there then by all means go ahead. All I'm saying is that there are less expensive virtually identical alternatives.

• Like 1