Looking For A Baseplate

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm looking for a plate that will attach to (not substitute for) the bottom of the Leica Handgrip # 14496 (not the high dollar multi-function unit) which is attached to my M (240) so I can use it with quick release devices such as found on my Arca-Swiss tripod head.  I've queried what I consider the usual suspects (Kirk, RRS) and so far haven't found what I'm looking for.

--Bob

a small, detachable arca swiss or other third party brand tripod baseplate plate should be easy to find at any good camera store. us based 'really right stuff' make a brilliant all-in-one m-240 baseplate that also fits arca heads. check online.

a small, detachable arca swiss or other third party brand tripod baseplate plate should be easy to find at any good camera store. us based 'really right stuff' make a brilliant all-in-one m-240 baseplate that also fits arca heads. check online.

The difficulty there is the centered locking wheel. I have the smallest Arca *compatible plate and it still covers the wheel.

* Most of the inexpensive 'compatibles' work, but you do have to screw the Arca clamp a millimeter or so farther in.

• Like 1

The difficulty there is the centered locking wheel. I have the smallest Arca *compatible plate and it still covers the wheel.

* Most of the inexpensive 'compatibles' work, but you do have to screw the Arca clamp a millimeter or so farther in.

thank you for clarifying, Pico. i wasn't aware of that issue. is the tripod screw hole on the leica grip in a slightly offset position to that of the original baseplate?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

But the best option is probably to forget your Leica grip and get the RRS BM240, which has grip and L bracket: http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/Shop/M240/BM240-Set-L-plate-and-grip-for-M240.html

I'd also suggest getting a leatherette from Cameraleather.com for the RRS grip. The owner has a pattern for RRS M8/9 grip (not advertised on his site) and it fits the BM240 also. I got a Griptac black one, which makes the grip very sure, but others may prefer something that looks more like Vulcanite. Cost was $12 US.

But the best option is probably to forget your Leica grip and get the RRS BM240, which has grip and L bracket: http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/Shop/M240/BM240-Set-L-plate-and-grip-for-M240.html

I'd also suggest getting a leatherette from Cameraleather.com for the RRS grip. The owner has a pattern for RRS M8/9 grip (not advertised on his site) and it fits the BM240 also. I got a Griptac black one, which makes the grip very sure, but others may prefer something that looks more like Vulcanite. Cost was $12 US.

Agree.  I have both the MFG and the RRS BM240. (I had 2 M240's; now down to one but waiting for a M246).   If I did not need the functions of the MFG I would definitely consider strongly the RRS with Griptac.  I do believe strongly that the RRS grip is too slippery without this and had Cameraleather do my M9 many years ago (it is the same grip that was used on the M9, it attaches to the baseplate in the same way).  Because the OP wants the quick release and does not appear to need the MFG functions, this is the way I would go.   I do slightly prefer the shape of the Leica grip but if you need to tripod mount the RRS solution is the best.